Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Graffiti Nite get together in Nor Cal, 'Modesto Land of Lucas'
dan10101
post Jun 3 2003, 07:25 PM
Post #1

TORQUE-o-holic

Group: Members
Member No.: 626
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Sorry, I got a bit wordy...
George Lucas started it all back in the early 60s when he went to Downey HS in Modesto, Ca. That evolved into the all time hot rod movie classic American Graffiti. We younger guys came in about 10 years later and started "Graffiti Nite, After School Cruse" some 30 years ago. It falls around the first Saturday after school was out. Hot Rods and people everywhere. I'll never forget standing on the top of one of the stores on McHenry Ave looking for miles in both directions at the thousands of people and hot cars. Quite the memory. Things are calmer these days. It's a controlled parade cruse on Saturday morning from 9-11am. then the car show at the Modesto Junior College. We have a BBQ beginning around 5pm. See the schedule of events below.

Modesto Graffiti Weekend Schedule

FRIDAY 6-13-03 (if you're around)
Rock and Rods
5:00-8:30
http://www.rocknrod.com/wc03/wcof03_modesto-rr1.htm

SAT 6-14-03
9am-11am Car Parade (closed street cruise, IE: open headers!)
10am -5pm Car Show http://www.nmkiwanis.org/CarShow.htm
5pm-whenever BBQ at Dalen’s (Details below)
8ish head out and look for cruisers. (they invade the town) Since it lasts until Sunday, they don't all head for home Sat night. Usually something is going on downtown.
They also show cars on Sunday, but we’re talking about Saturday.

There is some HOT HP floating around Motown this time of year. Makes driving through town very interesting at times. Here are some photos from last year.

http://www.rocknrod.com/agcs02-show/index.htm
http://briefcase.yahoo.com/dan_golf_101

BBQ Details
We'll host the BBQ at hour house from 5pm-whenever on Sat 6-14-03.
We’ll have burgers, dogs, punch and some kind of desert (perishable that others couldn't bring since they'll be in the car all day). Attendees can bring something to eat and drink if they want something special. (I'm not opposed to beer and wine, but remember there is driving later...)

I'll see if we can get my B.I.L. to bring his 38 Buick recently restored. or his 56 Cheby Daily Driver. But, there will be plenty car talk going around and even a few Porsches to gaze upon after looking at American cars all day. Then after we get tired of each other’s stories, we can hit the road and see what’s cooking on McHenry!
Schedule subject to change (because I said so..)

Disclaimer: It’s illegal to ‘cruise’ McHenry Ave. A cruise is defined as more than one trip up and back on the main drag. (Or however they decide to define it for that night)

This invite goes out to Porsche owners (or just plain car nuts) in the Northern California area (further if you want to make the drive!). RSVP to Dan Dalen dandalen@yahoo.com and I’ll send you instructions for finding us and the other activities.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jun 3 2003, 07:29 PM
Post #2

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8
Region Association: None

I'm in.

Sounds like fun and I can visit my friend "Bub" while we are out there. Hopefully it wont be blistering hot.

B
+Quote Post
dan10101
post Jun 3 2003, 07:38 PM
Post #3

TORQUE-o-holic

We'll turn on the sprinklers (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

Actually, right now it's not bad out there. Andrew is pulling the carbs off the engine and preping to clean the cooling fins. We'll be putting FI back on.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jun 3 2003, 07:57 PM
Post #4

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Im in! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif) Ack not enough time in the day!!! Let me count the projects I am trying to complete in 3 weeks... custom new carpet in the interior, fabricating custom seats, installing harness's, por 15'ing the floor's, Fixing the battery tray, por 15'ing and painting the engine bay, Insalling 5 lug conversion while rebuilding calipers and finding 911 'M' style pistons (calipers I bought didnt have any, a detail I missed), Putting on stock fuel injection, and paint the stupid thing(or at least the hood)!! Just to name a few. Currently took off the carbs and taking off the engine tin so I can get my engine clean, ie no overheating, And scraping off the tar on the floors. WHEW!!! All in 3 weeks!!! ARGGG!, Oh ya I better study for my engish final now... :gilloutine:
+Quote Post
Jenny
post Jun 4 2003, 09:37 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 96

There's some sort of nostalgia car event going on in Novato this week/end as well. Too bad Brad will be gone.

Jen
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jun 5 2003, 08:07 PM
Post #6

Spooling.... Please wait

Ok, Whats the deal you guys dont want to see big fat V8's? Have you even seen American Graffiti? If you guys are in the area, and have nothing to do, and dont come, you have no clue what your missing. These cars range from 'out of the showroom' to '8 second street machines'. Yes there will most likely be a handful of Porsche's there, Come on!! If your going, say it here, because I know some of you people wont go if no one comes. "Its saterday night, I guess that makes it all right, when you say, what have I got to loose?"
Come on guys, FOOOD (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
Mr.C
post Jun 6 2003, 04:03 AM
Post #7

Easy does it

Member No.: 61

Ha! This thread brings back memories of my first graffitti cruise night in Modesto. I was in a VW bus cruising with three girls that had huge squirt gun water cannons....what a mistake that was. They (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif) at these group of guys standing around this El Camino with a blower sticking out of the hood. Next thing I know their ducking and all these dudes see is me driving, wanting to BEAT MY ASS!! Sounded like a Jet was on my tail chasing me through those streets. I finally realized it was hopeless to drive fast so I just found a residential block and circled it about 10 times till they tired and gave up.
The girls realized that shooting at cars with the "big shiny thing" sticking out of the hood was not a good idea.
+Quote Post
dan10101
post Jun 8 2003, 11:25 PM
Post #8

TORQUE-o-holic

One of my stores goes into the late 70s. They moved the cruze downtown and made it a parade cruze at night. Now they were packing all the people into half the space. Because it was a parade, we could open headers. I had a 71 Merc (ex) Stock Eliminator drag car with a boss 351 Cleveland motor. Open headers and a very lopey cam made for a fun night.
The part that made me nervous was the people standing on the curb while the cars were doing oil burnouts 3 feet away on a road that was sloped towards the crowd. Kinda reminds me of the Golf Pro Ams that have Michael Jordan slamming a drive thru a tunnels walled with peering eyeballs.

We're still having the BBQ even with a small turnout. It only takes a couple people to have a fun time. Brad or anyone else interested send me an email and I'll send directions.

Thanks,
Dan
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jun 10 2003, 02:40 PM
Post #9

Spooling.... Please wait

Check out what I just found in my grandmothers record collection that she was selling for pennies! Someone pointed it out at a garage sale and I quickly got it from the pile. Its going in my room once I get some signatures on it!!
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jun 10 2003, 02:41 PM
Post #10

Spooling.... Please wait

pic

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jun 10 2003, 02:41 PM
Post #11

Spooling.... Please wait

pic

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jun 10 2003, 04:27 PM
Post #12

914 Freak!

That is the same album my parents had that I played over and over again.

B
+Quote Post
Dad Roberts
post Jun 10 2003, 05:25 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 70

Soooo you were the one who wore it out..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) ....Good seein ya again, even if it was for a short bit. Did you check the dates you will be gone ( Mid Atlanta) I think. Thinkin bout rentin a car.......... Dad (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jun 10 2003, 05:29 PM
Post #14

914 Freak!

That would be Mid-Ohio at the end of this month. Sorry I didnt have more time to BS and hang out. I wanted to get out of there pronto.

B
+Quote Post
seanery
post Jun 10 2003, 05:36 PM
Post #15

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

Mid-Ohio.....need a gopher?
+Quote Post
seanery
post Jun 10 2003, 05:36 PM
Post #16

or a somewhat decent but still crappy sometimes photographer?
+Quote Post
Dad Roberts
post Jun 10 2003, 05:43 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 70

No problem. I would luv to make that Modesto thing....maybe next year. Caddy should be a lil bit more roadworty then. Besides.....Modesto is probably a a bit tooo touchy for me still..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) We will be flyin into Oakland on Thursday mornin ( next week). I think I will rent a car to make things easier. Not sure if the gang is stayin at the Novato Oaks, yet........ Dad (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jun 10 2003, 06:04 PM
Post #18

914 Freak!

Sean..

We could use some help.. the problem is: (NO MONEY)

B
+Quote Post
tahoward
post Jun 10 2003, 06:20 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 52

Opening for volunteer gopher and crappy photographer...finally something I'm qualified for! Would be nice to at least meet a couple of posters. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif)
+Quote Post
seanery
post Jun 10 2003, 07:08 PM
Post #20

I'm FREE...read..."doesn't cost anything"
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th May 2024 - 02:19 PM