Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Seeking comments about planned 1.9L rebuild .., .. and recap of my productive weekend
Mockmaw
post Jun 3 2003, 08:20 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 438

It was a productive 914 weekend, I sure got a lot done. I sanded, stained, and finished my custom 'center console' that houses an 8" JL sub. I dropped the engine and transmission in record time. Fabricated an engine stand and then began a very long process of labeling and disassembling the whole thing. Took the components I plan on reusing down to the machine shop to have them cleaned and spec-ed. After a solid recommendation, I decided to use a small shop called The Bug Patch located in Santee. Nice and friendly guy that appears to really know his way around TIV's.

Downside of the weekend: Someone stole the amp out of the front trunk of my car. Probably an inside job from the shop where I just had work done. I'd be pissed but it's just stuff.. I can imagine far worse things happening to my car or me.

Soo.. I'm beginning to finalize the plans for my engine rebuilding, this is basically what I'm sitting on, the great plan being:

1.7L Case
66mm Crank and Rods
96mm P+Cs
1.8L Heads with heavier valve springs (with limited porting/polishing)
42x36 Valves
Eagle Cam (.410" Lift, 278*)
New 'Lightweight' Lifters
Dual Weber 40's
Mallory Unilite w/ Vac. Advance
Header System (Kerry Hunter or Eurorace)
Compression between 7.5:1 and 8.5:1 (still need to think about that)

The goal is to have a really fun street car and continue the learning process. Sorry guys, PEFI is out and Carbs are in for right now.

So my string of questions (as usual):

1. Thoughts, comments, opinions? Anyone think I'm making a huge mistake?

2. Thoughts on the Eagle Cam? I've heard good things about them so why pay the higher price for the Web-Cams? Will this be too much cam? Not enough?

3. Will I need new pushrods or can I use my old 1.7L ones?

4. Do the 42x36 valve sizings match well with the components that I'm looking at?

5. What kind of performance differences will I see in the compression range that I listed above? I'm looking for the optimal balance between performance and gas price/engine heat.

Think that's it for now, let me know if there're any critical details that I may have forgotten to address.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 10:11 PM