Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 914World Classifieds Rules

We've established the following rules to help make your sales/purchases as successful as possible!
- Please List WTB:, FS:, TRADE: etc (want to buy, for sale, and trade respectively) before your add title.
- You *must* put a price in your ad and state how you would like payment!
- If you'd like to bump your ads, feel free to do so every two days.
- DO NOT MAKE YOUR ADS IN ALL CAPITAL LETTERS! It's considered rude.
- All eBay ads belong in the eBay category.
- Please consolidate your ads into one big lump... listings and pictures together in one thread. Please be considerate of other classified users!!
- Mark your items "SOLD" once you sell them. Please do not ask to have ads removed. Ads will automatically hide themselves after 30 days. We also ask that you leave your pricing in the ads to help others determine fair market value for future sales.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> WTB: 320i Calipers Machined for My '74
VWTortuga336
post Feb 25 2015, 11:36 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,979
Region Association: None

Like the title says, please let me know if you have an extra set you'd like to get rid of.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Geezer914
post Feb 25 2015, 01:48 PM
Post #2

Geezer914

Member No.: 10,179
Region Association: North East States

I purchased a set of rebuilt 320i calipers from NAPA, and he took my old 914 front calipers in exchange. Make sure they are ATE. Then take them to a machine shop and have them mill the calipers. I gave them the Pelican Tech article so they understood what I wanted.
+Quote Post
VWTortuga336
post Feb 26 2015, 08:01 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(Geezer914 @ Feb 25 2015, 01:48 PM) *

...Then take them to a machine shop and have them mill the calipers. I gave them the Pelican Tech article so they understood what I wanted.

How much did the machine shop charge you to do this work?
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Feb 26 2015, 08:51 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,527
Region Association: South East States

Local guy did mine for $40... but bitched and moaned about having to make a jig for the caliper half. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yappin.gif)

That being said, it's not really worth the hassle unless you're planning to track the car or something. Have Eric at PMB Performance rebuild your stock calipers and I guarantee you'll have enough to lock the tires up. I only did mine because I wanted a bigger heat sink.
+Quote Post
Kansas 914
post Feb 27 2015, 11:18 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 373
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Feb 26 2015, 07:51 PM) *

Local guy did mine for $40... but bitched and moaned about having to make a jig for the caliper half. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yappin.gif)

That being said, it's not really worth the hassle unless you're planning to track the car or something. Have Eric at PMB Performance rebuild your stock calipers and I guarantee you'll have enough to lock the tires up. I only did mine because I wanted a bigger heat sink.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
VWTortuga336
post Feb 27 2015, 01:18 PM
Post #6

Only reason I am considering going the 320i route is the fact that my calipers need to be completely rebuilt. Not that I mind doing it, but I have seen instances where you can buy good, working 320i calipers for around the price of the rebuild kits for my 914 calipers (~$50-$60). Am I way off base?
+Quote Post
barefoot
post Feb 27 2015, 01:51 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 15,673

QUOTE(VWTortuga336 @ Feb 27 2015, 02:18 PM) *

Only reason I am considering going the 320i route is the fact that my calipers need to be completely rebuilt. Not that I mind doing it, but I have seen instances where you can buy good, working 320i calipers for around the price of the rebuild kits for my 914 calipers (~$50-$60). Am I way off base?

I got front rebuild kits for ~ $18.
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Feb 27 2015, 02:14 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

If they need to be completely rebuilt, then they need to be sent to Eric. He does the same thing that the factory did, plating the caliper body which keeps you from having a piston seized in the bore. If you rebuild your own or buy aftermarket calipers, the plating is likely long gone, allowing the water that eventually forms in the brake fluid to rust the bore and voila, seized pistons.

http://www.pmbperformance.com/brakehowto.html

Up to you though.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Feb 27 2015, 02:44 PM
Post #9

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(VWTortuga336 @ Feb 27 2015, 02:18 PM) *

I wouldn't skimp. What's more important than the front brakes on your car.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Feb 27 2015, 02:59 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 27 2015, 03:44 PM) *

I wouldn't skimp. What's more important than the front brakes on your car.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) the only other thing I can think of is the master cylinder.... but we all know the story of how at least one person felt like it was okay to cheap out in that area. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
+Quote Post
VWTortuga336
post Mar 2 2015, 09:26 PM
Post #11

I'm really not trying to skimp, I just think I might as well "upgrade" (I know this is very debatable) to 320i calipers for a fraction of what it will cost for Eric to do my fronts.

I'm planning on having him do my rear calipers, so hopefully this proves I'm not a total cheap ass (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

All that said, I'd still like to find a pair of 320i calipers ready to bolt on to my '74 front end (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Mar 2 2015, 11:10 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Understood. Keep in mind that any "new" calipers at Napa, etc are indeed rebuilt. And when they rebuild them they strip them of all plating. If you're having Eric do your rears, you may consider sending any 320 calipers you find to him anyway to at least have him plate them. You can put them back together by yourself. This is on my list of things to do before our next race actually.
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Mar 3 2015, 12:50 AM
Post #13

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110

QUOTE(VWTortuga336 @ Feb 27 2015, 12:18 PM) *

You get what you pay for with a $50.00 caliper.

Chinese seal kits that crack in a couple of months. This allows moisture to your bare steel bores (more on that in point #2)
No finish on the caliper bodies or inside the bores (rust will come knocing soon).
Pistons that are usually installed improperly.
Fasteners that have no finish on them (re: rust. What could go wrong there?)

They're really cheap though! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

And now you want to shave metal off the mounting ears? And you will get an ATE 19mm master cylinder for $235.00 right? Or, another chinese version for $90.00? And your factory 1.6:1 bias ratio is now shot... your rears are hardly in the mix at all.

Sorry Andrew, I'm not trying to pee in the Cheerio's here, I've just been dealing with this so called upgrade for 10+ years. Just because there's a Pelican how too article on it doesn't mean it's the cats PJ's.

There is a way to do it right if you want to go that route:

1. Install early model struts on your car. This will allow you to bolt on the 320 calipers without shaving metal off their mounting surfaces weakening their design. So add new struts and new rotors to your budget.
2. Install the proper ATE 19mm master cylinder to deal with the larger 48mm pistons. (the chinese ones fail) +$235.00
3. Install a cooling system for your front solid rotors. AJ USA Scoops are only a couple hundred bucks. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
4. Install 914-6 rear calipers (around $1,599-1,799 per pair) if you want a hand brake and a proper bias ratio again or, install 1969-1983 911 rear caliper without the spacers in the rear. If you go the later route you will need to find a "mechanical" handbrake solution (not a hydro-lock) or you will be in violation of most state laws (unless it's a racecar... yes you George) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

If you install a 38mm piston in the rear (the calipers I suggested) you will once again retain the proper factory bias ratio (and no, it's not a proportioning valve, it's a pressure regulator... don't take it out like every internet genius suggests).

Off soapbox.

Just get your 914 front calipers working and get some of this milleniums killer pad compounds and you should be good to go. Where art thou racing anyway?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Kansas 914
post Mar 3 2015, 09:17 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 373

Knowing what I know now I would gladly trade my BMW calipers for 914 calipers..

+Quote Post
VWTortuga336
post Mar 3 2015, 10:38 AM
Post #15

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Mar 3 2015, 12:50 AM) *

QUOTE(VWTortuga336 @ Feb 27 2015, 12:18 PM) *

You get what you pay for with a $50.00 caliper.

Chinese seal kits that crack in a couple of months. This allows moisture to your bare steel bores (more on that in point #2)
No finish on the caliper bodies or inside the bores (rust will come knocing soon).
Pistons that are usually installed improperly.
Fasteners that have no finish on them (re: rust. What could go wrong there?)

They're really cheap though! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

And now you want to shave metal off the mounting ears? And you will get an ATE 19mm master cylinder for $235.00 right? Or, another chinese version for $90.00? And your factory 1.6:1 bias ratio is now shot... your rears are hardly in the mix at all.

Sorry Andrew, I'm not trying to pee in the Cheerio's here, I've just been dealing with this so called upgrade for 10+ years. Just because there's a Pelican how too article on it doesn't mean it's the cats PJ's.

There is a way to do it right if you want to go that route:

1. Install early model struts on your car. This will allow you to bolt on the 320 calipers without shaving metal off their mounting surfaces weakening their design. So add new struts and new rotors to your budget.
2. Install the proper ATE 19mm master cylinder to deal with the larger 48mm pistons. (the chinese ones fail) +$235.00
3. Install a cooling system for your front solid rotors. AJ USA Scoops are only a couple hundred bucks. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
4. Install 914-6 rear calipers (around $1,599-1,799 per pair) if you want a hand brake and a proper bias ratio again or, install 1969-1983 911 rear caliper without the spacers in the rear. If you go the later route you will need to find a "mechanical" handbrake solution (not a hydro-lock) or you will be in violation of most state laws (unless it's a racecar... yes you George) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

If you install a 38mm piston in the rear (the calipers I suggested) you will once again retain the proper factory bias ratio (and no, it's not a proportioning valve, it's a pressure regulator... don't take it out like every internet genius suggests).

Off soapbox.

Just get your 914 front calipers working and get some of this milleniums killer pad compounds and you should be good to go. Where art thou racing anyway?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Thanks a lot for all the great info Eric. No cheerios peed in here; I really am open to any/all suggestions that lead me to making the right choice (especially when it comes to safety). You’re right, I was basing my decision on the PP article, which did make it seem like this conversion was the cat's PJs. Everything you point out I haven't even considered, which sounds like would have been a really bad thing.

I'll keep my stock calipers. Thanks everyone for all their great input and for helping me realize I was about to make the wrong move!
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Mar 3 2015, 10:47 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Funny how all it takes sometimes is the right person to chime in and then everyone listens. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I've still got a long way to go to reach that status. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

Anyhow, good decision. It will pay off. And if you ever sell the car you can use it as a selling point - Eric's PMB Brakes, a Jake Raby engine, a Chris Foley exhaust, etc.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:05 PM