Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Oil Cooler - Rear Trunk, How I did it.
MAD914
post Feb 25 2015, 02:22 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,390
Region Association: Southern California

First off, I wanted to say a big "thanks" to everyone who takes the time to post stuff. I've solved a lot of problems by searching the site. I've mainly been lurking and working, but I thought I'd do some posting of my own to solicit some opinions before firing up the engine. Please be gentle in case I've screwed this up deluxe.

After seeing what had come before me, I wanted to mount the oil cooler so that it would have cool air from the top of the car, instead of hot air from the bottom of the car. I wanted to take advantage of the same "roof-suck" effect that theoretically draws air into the engine compartment. The downside is, I have to sacrifice the rear trunk. No big deal really - I'm not going cross-country in the car.

Anyway, here is what I came up with:

Attached Image

I'm using a Canton filter that's mounted in the engine compartment where the battery tray used to be:

Attached Image

As for the oiling system, I mounted a Setrab dual-fan cooler in the rear trunk, and I'm using a 2-quart cable-actuated Accusump. I wanted the cooler to have cool air from the top of the car instead of the hot air from under the car, so I made holes in the trunk wall to the engine compartment. I've also installed a 180-degree thermostat (the fans turn on at 190 degrees). The lines from/to the engine itself are AN-8, but the system plumbing is all AN-10 to add volume and reduce flow resistance. The canister filter is positioned so the oil enters from the side, and air is purged out the top. Likewise, the cooler fills from the bottom so air is purged out the top as the oil rises up the slope of the trunk. Check valves are installed to stop oil drain-back into the engine, and to prevent the discharge from the Accusump from going “backwards” through the cooler and filter.

Attached Image

Here's how I laid out the installation of the cooler:

Attached Image

And the rough placement:

Attached Image

I'm hoping this might help someone, and I'd also like to hear any words of warning from folks who know more than I do (it's a large demographic).

Thanks!

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 05:14 AM