Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 914World Classifieds Rules

We've established the following rules to help make your sales/purchases as successful as possible!
- Please List WTB:, FS:, TRADE: etc (want to buy, for sale, and trade respectively) before your add title.
- You *must* put a price in your ad and state how you would like payment!
- If you'd like to bump your ads, feel free to do so every two days.
- DO NOT MAKE YOUR ADS IN ALL CAPITAL LETTERS! It's considered rude.
- All eBay ads belong in the eBay category.
- Please consolidate your ads into one big lump... listings and pictures together in one thread. Please be considerate of other classified users!!
- Mark your items "SOLD" once you sell them. Please do not ask to have ads removed. Ads will automatically hide themselves after 30 days. We also ask that you leave your pricing in the ads to help others determine fair market value for future sales.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> WTB: M10x1.0 Time Sert Kit, Update - CHT Repaired. I'm done with it and will loan it out if anyone needs it.
BeatNavy
post Feb 28 2015, 08:35 AM
Post #1

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,042
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

2.0L engine I have has the original CHT spot stripped, so PO tapped a spot near the #4 intake runner based on the Capn's advice which presumably works just fine. While I have the engine out, however, I'm interested in repairing the original CHT location. I see it takes an M10x1.0. Anyone out there go through this process and want to unload (or loan (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) ) their kit they don't need anymore? I see they are available for $90 on Ebay, but I'm feeling like a cheap-ass right now with all the other money I've spent on projects recently. Thanks!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Mar 2 2015, 06:57 AM
Post #2

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif)

Anyone? If not the next post I do here may be putting one on sale after I'm done with it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Mar 2 2015, 07:10 AM
Post #3

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

That one is worth going to a machine shop for....

Or tap it oversize, make an Al bolt, cut it off flush, then drill and tap for 10x1.0
Be careful not to drill in too far.
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Mar 2 2015, 07:48 AM
Post #4

Thanks, Mark. I'd read that time sert was the way to go on this repair. I guess either way I need an M10x1.0 tap. I'm primarily doing this to get the CHT back in the original spot if possible.

I guess I could try an oversize bolt as you suggest, being extra careful not to go too deep.
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Mar 15 2015, 09:51 AM
Post #5

I ended up getting the Time Sert Kit. The M10x1.0 inserts come in depths of 6.2, 8, 9, and 15mm. The 15mm is too long, as the total depth of the CHT hole seems to be between 15mm and 20mm and you're supposed to leave a 6mm allowance beyond the insert. So I ended up going with the 9.0mm insert (which, of course, had to be purchased separately from the inserts that came with the kit).

Anyway, the repair seemed to have worked well. I am now special as I have two CHT's (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) If anyone needs to borrow this I'll gladly make it available so you don't have to spend $90 for a one-time use. I have one extra 9mm insert but after that you have to spring for the $2.00 and buy your own (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Threads Stripped
Attached Image

Kit and inserts
Attached Image

Hole prepped and ready for insert
Attached Image

CHT Installed
Attached Image

Two CHT's! Best enhancement ever. Maybe.
Attached Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:24 AM