Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Any Interest in Type 4 Engine Rebuild School Or Tuning School?, My new training facility is finished, thinking about aircooled classes
Jake Raby
post Mar 1 2015, 12:40 PM
Post #1

Engine Surgeon

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

Back in 2008 I built s dedicated training room at the main shop and started offering Porsche M96 (Boxster/ 996) engine rebuild classes that were hands on. Within a couple of years the classes became too popular as I began instructing similar (not hands on) classed for the Worldpac Training Institute, with Tony Callas of Callas Rennsport.

The hands on classes got so popular that I'd host 4-5 a year and we'd have to close the whole shop down for 4 days to host them. I had attendees from all over the world show up, the furthest from Australia, and many from EU and Asia.

Having classes at the main facility turned out to be a real pain, because not only did the classes get more popular, but so did our work, and we had to shut down operations to have classes. That didn't work well, so I had to do something.

Last year I started building a dedicated training facility thats located 40 minutes from the Atlanta airport, which was much better than the 2 hour ride to the main facility, and all attendees had to source rental cars. At the main facility all the hotels were in Helen Ga and because of that they were expensive. During the off season in Helen there were hardly any restaurants open, and that made it difficult to have classes in winter, when most people wanted to attend.

The new facility solves all these challenges, because attendees can stay nearby in Athens Georgia where they can walk to eat and attractions, and we can now offer a shuttle service to the Training Facility, to make things easier. The new facility also separates training from building completely, so I can have more classes every year without impacting the shop schedule at all. I hosted my first M96 Engine Rebuild School last week at the new facility, and it was a huge hit! Attendees from Ireland & Singapore along with several Canadians, joined the Americans for a 4 day experience where we built an M96 engine from scratch.

So, since the air-cooled engine is so much a part of what we continue to do, I have considered adding some aircooled engine classes much like the M96 class to the schedule, along with Porsche DFI engine classes and Cayenne engine rebuild.

Before I take the time to schedule these classes I figured I'd try to make a survey to see who would be interested, as I need 15 attendees to host a class and make it worthwhile.

My classes are much different than a normal setting. You'll come into my world, see where I work and we'll do it all in a laid back, "shop" atmosphere with no formalities.

I plan on offering three classes:
- "Type 4 101" How to configure a Performance Type 4 engine
- "Type 4 102" Performance engine rebuild (Hands on)
- "Tuning to live" Aircooled engine tuning (For T1, T4, 356/ 616)

Here's what each class will include:
"MassIVe Type 4 101" Engine Configuration Class (prerequisite for the Engine Rebuild School)
"Its all in the combo" This class shares what you need to develop your own combo!
-2 day class, dates TBD based on interest
-Case machining basics and essentials
-Head machining basics and essentials, and performance secrets (I am sure I could talk Len Hoffman into being a Presenter for this one)
-Camshaft optimization. Learn camshaft differences, limitations, and use the Cam Doctor
-Balancing. Dynamic and static
-Choosing internal components, pistons, connecting rods, crankshafts and more
-Determining compression ratio for the application and operating environment
-Oil system modifications, design and theory
-Engine Oils, what to use and when, including Break in oils, race oils and how to choose a viscosity (I will try to have Lake Speed from Joe Gibbs Driven to co- instruct this with me)
-Subsystem optimization, to include induction, exhaust, and cooling. Choosing carbs, EFI and ignition systems will also be covered.
- Labs during this class will include the Cam Doctor as well as setting up Deck height and valve train geometry. I'll show you how these are done the easiest and most effective ways
At the end of this class the attendee will understand the essentials for configuring a performance T4 engine. They will then be able to sign up for the Type 4 Engine Rebuild School thats hands on and detailed below (If we have enough interest)

Cost for this class will be 1,299.00 (499.00 non refundable deposit, then balance due at the class)

"MassIVe T4 102" Performance Engine Rebuild School
-The 3 day Class starts with a fully prepared high performance (2270- 2615) Type 4 engine ready to be assembled.
-Each morning the class will go over the assembly tasks for the day via presentation
-Each afternoon the class will work to assemble the engine. The first day the class will assemble the short block, and the second day the class will assemble the long block. The 3rd day the class will fit ancillaries and fire the engine up, taking it through the break in procedure after initial start up.
-This is a primarily hands on class with little classroom instruction, hence the additional day of class, and the additional costs. This is also why the "101" class prerequisite exists, as we need to have the essentials covered up front.

Cost for this class will be 1,899.00 (699.00 non refundable deposit, then balance due at the class)

"Tune To Live"
The "Tuning To Live" class will be a 2 day class that mixes classroom and labs where we'll go over tuning different aircooled engines (T1, T4, 356/616) from an induction/ ignition point of view. There will be mixed carburetor and EFI information, we'll set initial advance, full advance, go over different ignition systems and etc.

This class is essential for those who want to optimize the tuning of their engine, be it stock, or high performance.

Cost for this class will be 1,299.00 (499.00 non refundable deposit, then balance due at the class)

So, there ya have it. This is a tentative plan and will be put into place IF we have enough interest. I expect to only have one of the "102" classes per year, maybe the same with the tuning classes, but demand will determine this. The Porsche water cooled classes have been a HUGE success, but part of that is because technicians and shop owners can't get the info in any other way. We'll have to wait and see how things work out with aircooled classes, because I'd love to add them. These will be a ton of fun to instruct.

Pass this word around, and let's see if we can make it a success. I'll be sending this same info out in a newsletter next week.

Here's the class photo from last week's M96 Engine Rebuild School. In the background lies a lot of history, including The Bluebonic Plague (the car that started it all for me) and my old 912E, and a few more toys. The new facility is 5,300 Sq ft and incorporates presentation rooms, a theater, and over 3,000 sq ft of shop space for labs and etc.
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
raynekat
post Mar 1 2015, 01:01 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,263
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I'd be interested in all 3 classes.
Thanks for considering this.
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Mar 1 2015, 02:06 PM
Post #3

Engine Surgeon

QUOTE(raynekat @ Mar 1 2015, 11:01 AM) *

Great to hear. I've gotten two emails since posting this too. I'll give a yearly discount for someone who wants to attend more than 2 classes.

+Quote Post
02loftsmoor
post Mar 1 2015, 04:31 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 13,243
Region Association: Southwest Region

I'm very interested in your classes, I don't know squat about a Type 4
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Mar 1 2015, 07:59 PM
Post #5

Engine Surgeon

Cool.. Looks like we Will have no problem filling classes on these topics based on the feedback I have gotten this far
+Quote Post
Chris Pincetich
post Mar 1 2015, 08:19 PM
Post #6

B-)

Member No.: 4,907
Region Association: Northern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
This is cool! Where to people stay? Camp? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
I'm still saving $$ for parts.... and am buying an alternator tomorrow so I can keep driving my 914.

+Quote Post
old914dog
post Mar 1 2015, 09:38 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 2,643
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Mar 1 2015, 12:06 PM) *

QUOTE(raynekat @ Mar 1 2015, 11:01 AM) *

Great to hear. I've gotten two emails since posting this too. I'll give a yearly discount for someone who wants to attend more than 2 classes.

Hell Yes!!
Find some dates
Len buys the beer!!
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Mar 1 2015, 09:56 PM
Post #8

Engine Surgeon

QUOTE(Chris Pincetich @ Mar 1 2015, 06:19 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
This is cool! Where to people stay? Camp? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
I'm still saving $$ for parts.... and am buying an alternator tomorrow so I can keep driving my 914.

We have all the logistics worked out with transportation from the airport to the host hotel, then the shuttle for the class moves everyone at once. We provide breakfast and lunch, with a good chunk of southern hospitality!

If you want to camp, well, the facility sits on 50 acres and we have plenty of room!

I'll have dates by the end of this week... I will plan two of the 101 classes and then one of the 102 classes this year. The 102 class will be near the end of 2015 to give it plenty of time to fill.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Mar 1 2015, 10:34 PM
Post #9

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

I don't see any of these classes in my near future unless I win the lotto, I just want to add how cool it would be to go and I'll be jealous of all those that go!

Thanks for offering classes like these!

+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Mar 1 2015, 10:45 PM
Post #10

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121

Ditto. I'd love to try to get to the tuning class, but I don't think I can do the time and money.

--DD
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Mar 1 2015, 10:53 PM
Post #11

Engine Surgeon

Thanks guys, the good thing about all my builds moving to the 2.4, 2.6 and 3 liter levels is the fact that we'll be telling it all on the 2270 and how to build one effectively!

I'll be handing out 2056 and 2270 engine combos to attendees during the 102 classes on top of explaining how to design your own.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Mar 1 2015, 11:05 PM
Post #12

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Mar 1 2015, 08:53 PM) *

Thanks guys, the good thing about all my builds moving to the 2.4, 2.6 and 3 liter levels is the fact that we'll be telling it all on the 2270 and how to build one effectively!

I'll be handing out 2056 and 2270 engine combos to attendees during the 102 classes on top of explaining how to design your own.

Thumper motors for sure! I like...

Glad I've decided to stick with the Type IV afterall... there is a reason I gave up/sold all my other half-ass attempted engine conversions (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
lonewolfe
post Mar 2 2015, 05:42 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 13,549

Perhaps you could do a raffle for a few spots. You'd still make your class $+ & give a chance for folks to attend that otherwise couldn't swing it. And, it creates a lot of buzz about your classes. Just a thought!
+Quote Post
sfrenck
post Mar 2 2015, 05:45 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 11,411
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Mueller @ Mar 1 2015, 11:34 PM) *

I don't see any of these classes in my near future unless I win the lotto, I just want to add how cool it would be to go and I'll be jealous of all those that go!

Thanks for offering classes like these!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Mar 2 2015, 05:58 AM
Post #15

Engine Surgeon

QUOTE(lonewolfe @ Mar 2 2015, 03:42 AM) *

Perhaps you could do a raffle for a few spots. You'd still make your class $+ & give a chance for folks to attend that otherwise couldn't swing it. And, it creates a lot of buzz about your classes. Just a thought!

If I had time to administrate them, that might work.

I like to keep things simple.
+Quote Post
Han Solo
post Mar 2 2015, 09:54 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 16,456

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Mar 1 2015, 12:40 PM) *

Pass this word around, and let's see if we can make it a success. I'll be sending this same info out in a newsletter next week.

I'm very interested in these classes. Sending you a PM with email to get the newsletter. Also noted your comment regarding onsite camping. Do you think I can park this for a few days?

Attached Image
+Quote Post
monkeyboy
post Mar 2 2015, 10:02 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 9,147

I would be interested. Depending on when they were, I could get a couple of days off work. I would love to learn to build my own type IV and know it's right.
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Mar 2 2015, 10:07 AM
Post #18

Engine Surgeon

Since its 4WD you could find a nice place on the back 40 for it... But there's no water or power back there.

Considering whats on the trailer, you should attend my M96/M97 classes, too... I have one thats designed to give you the info to keep the engine in that car alive!

This post has been edited by Jake Raby: Mar 2 2015, 10:08 AM
+Quote Post
Han Solo
post Mar 2 2015, 10:45 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 16,456

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Mar 2 2015, 10:07 AM) *

Since its 4WD you could find a nice place on the back 40 for it... But there's no water or power back there.

Considering whats on the trailer, you should attend my M96/M97 classes, too... I have one thats designed to give you the info to keep the engine in that car alive!

We're self contained for water and electric (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) The '07 Cayman S is sold. Replaced by a '14 Cayman (not racing that at this time). However, I do co-own a 1st gen Boxster and would love to know how to re-build that. It's all a question of time and money!
+Quote Post
Woody
post Mar 2 2015, 11:04 AM
Post #20

Sandbox Rabblerouser and head toilet scrubber

Member No.: 12,530
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Mar 1 2015, 10:53 PM) *

Wouldn't mind learning about some of these bigger builds. 3 liter has to be insane.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:28 AM