Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Up and away, Walker lift from 1941
worn
post Mar 1 2015, 08:45 PM
Post #1

can't remember

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,152
Region Association: Upper MidWest

So a free lift is, well, hard to turn down. After driving the half ton of metal to my shop building I realize that it is built to engage the frames of pickup trucks etc. the length is 17+ feet. My son and I cut it down so it works a bit different with maybe 5' between the i beams. The motor drives reduction gears that turn a shaft that lifts 4 cables. One at each corner. After many fits and starts that included gear oil thicker than vasoline and the discovery of a one way slipper clutch added as a safety feature we have lift off. A 914 suspended in mid air. Bugs to be worked out and safety chains etc to add. But a free lift is a thing of grace, wonder and beauty. The footprint as far as the car is concerned is a bit like that of a scissor lift. We had to set a ceiling limit due to the ceiling. Am pumped and with no camera or iPad I have to say that (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif)
Sorry, but I will say that the wiring diagram is printed on asbestos and the date may well be 1941.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
worn
post Mar 16 2015, 10:49 AM
Post #2

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(worn @ Mar 1 2015, 06:45 PM) *
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif)
Sorry, but I will say that the wiring diagram is printed on asbestos and the date may well be 1941.

OK, here is a cable lift from WWII. Given a new life and extra safety chains all around. The entire suspension and drive line is exposed. You can open both doors. Sort of like a low rise scissor lift, but free. It was 17 feet long, but I do not have that kind of room. So now it is 5' long and about 8' wide.

Attached Image

The wiring was hard to fathom. It can handle three phase 440 V, but the motor says 110 or 220. Sluggish at 110, a champ with 220. We conclude that is how the previous owner had it.
Attached Image

I cannot believe it! I have a lift!!
I can chase down oil leaks at leisure. Ceiling height etc limit upward travel. So far I have use a lawn chair (that my ass pushed through) and a white bucket. Nothing but space under the whole car!
+Quote Post
bulitt
post Mar 16 2015, 05:11 PM
Post #3

Achtzylinder

Member No.: 13,632
Region Association: South East States

Safety chains attached to the cross bars? What are the chain hooks rated for?
Asking because those cables look anemic, hard to tell in the photo . The ones on my lift are 5/16".

I bet it has safety dogs in the corner mechanism's which are spring loaded. If that is the case you might want to replace the springs??? Be Safe!

Pretty cool!!!
+Quote Post
messix
post Mar 16 2015, 05:28 PM
Post #4

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

From: between shit kickers and pinky lifters/ puget sound wa.north of Seattle south of Canada
Member No.: 3,931
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

cool lift!

that would be fun to restore/detail out.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Mar 16 2015, 08:21 PM
Post #5

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

Very cool.

Sears has nice rolling stools, get one.

Keep an eye out for used busted office chairs too, just remove the back.

What kind of truck is that?
Selling it?
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:58 PM