Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> If you've ever wanted to buy dual Webers, buy 'em NOW
lapuwali
post Feb 11 2005, 03:55 PM
Post #1

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

I've been watching prices on Ebay for dual Webers, and for some reason the prices are WAY down from what they were just last year. It's possible to pick up a set of 40IDFs for about $200-250 now, where they were $400 a pair 12-18 months ago. Dunno if this is a seasonal thing, but if you're in the market to buy a set, fork out the cash now. New sets are $800-900.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
brant
post Feb 11 2005, 04:43 PM
Post #2

914 Wizard

Group: Members
Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

do I search under VW parts...
or webbers?

tia
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Feb 11 2005, 04:46 PM
Post #3

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5
Region Association: None

Everything is low right now...NO ONE is buying bubkis......
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Feb 11 2005, 04:50 PM
Post #4

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE (mikez @ Feb 11 2005, 02:46 PM)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Feb 11 2005, 04:52 PM
Post #5

rich herzog

Member No.: 513

QUOTE (brant @ Feb 11 2005, 05:43 PM)
or webbers?

tia

you won't find much looking for "webber" as the carbs have only one 'B' ...

(it's Weber)

[for guys trying to sell them - you don't even really hafta know how to spell it, you can just COPY IT OFF THE CARBURETOR!]
+Quote Post
brant
post Feb 11 2005, 04:54 PM
Post #6

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Feb 11 2005, 03:52 PM)
QUOTE (brant @ Feb 11 2005, 05:43 PM)
or webbers?

tia

you won't find much looking for "webber" as the carbs have only one 'B' ...

(it's Weber)

[for guys trying to sell them - you don't even really hafta know how to spell it, you can just COPY IT OFF THE CARBURETOR!]

good point rich...

oopps...
spelled just like that round pot in my back yard.

+Quote Post
Howard
post Feb 11 2005, 04:59 PM
Post #7

Incontin(g)ent Member

Member No.: 943

QUOTE (mikez @ Feb 11 2005, 02:46 PM)

Hey all you wannabe's, it's BUPKIS!

Spell it right or grow a new foreskin! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Feb 11 2005, 05:02 PM
Post #8

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5

Like I grew up speaking Yiddish.... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/unsure.gif)
+Quote Post
bernbomb914
post Feb 11 2005, 05:24 PM
Post #9

one of the oldest Farts on this board

Member No.: 36

weber has gone bankrupt from what I have heard, so if you want some carbs you better get them now as invertory is becomming scarce.

bernie
+Quote Post
MecGen
post Feb 11 2005, 05:53 PM
Post #10

8 Easy Steps

Member No.: 3,421

Hi Guys...good to be back (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beerchug.gif)
I have a set of Dells for many years now, bought them the first time Weber had problems and "Dells" were the hot ticket. I am in the same boat now that Dell has just about dissapeared.
Brite side of things - Fuel Injection !!!!!!!
The kits are out there now, and coming into reach $$$. If you calculate a complete dual carb kit at thier highest were into the 800 to 900$ dollar mark (maybe higher), add inflation .... close.
And the purpose of my reply, other then I am just happy the sites up, is ...
I would recommend that if Weber is a done deal, for everybody that ownes them, get at least a set of rebiuld kits. I wish to hell I did, been there done that. I wouldn't bother to get big parts like manifolds or bodies, because in the small chance something this major breaks, it probably can be repaired, and if not, its fuel injection time (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/aktion035.gif)
Thanx for letting me rant
WBR
Joe

PS. If someone has kits for my Dells 36s, pm me pls. I used my last set and don't want to wait for a problem, to start looking .
+Quote Post
carambola
post Feb 11 2005, 05:59 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 3,007

bought a kit for 40 DCOE for the father-in-law's TR-6 as a christmas present. paid 1800. something about a strike in the spanish factory. maybe the strike has lifted
+Quote Post
redshift
post Feb 11 2005, 06:02 PM
Post #12

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

QUOTE (mikez @ Feb 11 2005, 07:02 PM)
Like I grew up speaking Yiddish.... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/unsure.gif)

Mike.. you are so... mashugana. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wacko.gif)

Know what a blivet is? 10lbs of shit in a 5lb bag.

M
+Quote Post
carambola
post Feb 11 2005, 06:21 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 3,007

top end performance was the name if i remember correctly (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Feb 11 2005, 06:23 PM
Post #14

Not another one!

If Weber has gone bankrupt (news to me), or the Spanish factory is on strike (also news to me), then all the more reason to snap up the available Webers now that the prices are so low. People are still buying used Dell Ortos, and are paying for rebuild kits where they can find them. One presumes this will continue, and prices will continue to climb. I'm even more baffled by the big price drops if this is all true, though.

And this isn't an FI v. non-FI issue. I use FI, and both of my sets of IDFs will be sold as soon as the prices are reasonable from a seller's standpoint. But if you're a die-hard Weber fan, buy them now...

Miles, it's "MikeZ is so mushuga". A mushugana is someone who is mushuga...(don't ask. my wife is irish and speaks even more yiddish than I do...)
+Quote Post
buck toenges
post Feb 11 2005, 06:24 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 1,388

Just looked at ebay. Dual webers are running $500.00 plus.. What am I missing?
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Feb 11 2005, 06:40 PM
Post #16

Not another one!

$500 and how many bids? Every set I've seen in the past three weeks hasn't SOLD for more than $250. Several sets have ended with no bids above $250. edit: OK, one set at $510 with 13 bids, but it hasn't met his reserve. Also includes manifolds and filters for a FIAT 124. There are other sets for $500+, but they're not going to sell, IMHO...
+Quote Post
dmenche914
post Feb 11 2005, 06:59 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 366

Could it be that Webers are selling for less, cause the demand is low???? Why would that be????

The last USA spec VW Bug was imported in 1979 I believe. The VW Bug crowd has been a big users of the webers, so I would imagine after a while, everyone that wanted webers on their Bug has pretty much done so already, and of course as the Bug (or sand rail or what ever) finally gets crashed, parted out, or restored to stock, the webers go for sale used, increasing the supply, with stagnet or lessening demand. Fewer folks are hotroding bugs, as they were ten, or twenty years ago.

Also some states are getting stricker with smog rules, which may make some remove the webers.

The VW Bug based cars was probably the biggest single market for the dual body down draft webers, and that market has been decreasing.

Finally many folks are going to FI on hotrodded Bug, or 914's, and even Triumphs (uses side draft weber) The Triumph Spitfire club always has folks working on aftermarket FI systems, much as we do for 914's Although more folks likely still have Webers than aftermarket FI, FI is catching on. How many folks on this club site are working on after market FI for 914's, verses say ten of twenty years ago?

Ten or twenty years ago the only option for most for hotrodding was webers or other brand carbs, the FI systems back then were too expensive, or exotic for most folks. FI is now more commonly accepted as a good system, even old farts like me have finally come around to appreciate all the wiz bang computer controlled FI system that are out there.

Hence, maybe the price of webers will continue to decline (except int he case of some special very large ones, which may still hold value longer)

Webers are old technology, and FI is becoming less expensive, and folks can now by FI kits, ready to bolt on many applications.

Unless you have the most desirable or limited production webers (like 48 IDA's) I suspect the prices to not increase in the future.

I bet wooden wagon wheels were at rock bottom prices just as rubber tires were beginning to catch on, I do not think the wooden wagon wheel market ever recovered.

Needless to say, Webers are still good, and used ones can be purchased for less than an FI system. They will be useful for economy minded hotrodders for a while, until finally the FI systems start getting on the used market a t low prices (ten twenty years from now) then the webers will be about as popular a wood wagon wheels.

+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Feb 11 2005, 07:11 PM
Post #18

Not another one!

IDFs were OEM equipment on a few Italian sports cars, and those interested in originality will want them pretty much forever. IDFs are also very commonly used on lots of other engines besides VW/Porsche. There are manifolds to use four of 'em on Ford and Chevy V8s, and there's a BIG hotrod crowd that still prefers carbs to this day. As for the VW crowd, go over to the VW boards and they're all still talking about buying Webers, or even Dell Ortos (which are no longer in production and prices are climbing). Very few are talking about fitting EFI.

There are still racing classes that REQUIRE carbs to be used.

Demand may be dropping off, but this seems like a very sudden downward spike, not the gradual decline I'd expect to see. We'll see what happens over the course of the year...
+Quote Post
anthony
post Feb 11 2005, 07:15 PM
Post #19

2270 club

Member No.: 218

With the dollar down against the Euro, the price of used Webers should be up. Two years ago a new kit was $600 and now it's $900. Still, I did a search on completed auctions and didn't see any screaming deals on dual IDF 44s in the last few weeks.

+Quote Post
Howard
post Feb 11 2005, 09:02 PM
Post #20

Incontin(g)ent Member

Member No.: 943

QUOTE (bernbomb914 @ Feb 11 2005, 03:24 PM)
weber has gone bankrupt from what I have heard, so if you want some carbs you better get them now as invertory is becomming scarce.

bernie

You sure, Bernie? Got a new Edelbrock 'Peformer' 4bbl for Moby, says Weber on it. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 01:14 PM