Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Porscheru Engine Choices, 2.2, 2.5, or 3.0 ??
R_u_dd
post Mar 10 2015, 07:04 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,072
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(76-914 @ Mar 10 2015, 02:14 PM) *

The EZ30 is only 1.5" longer than the 2.5L 4 cyl. and slightly heavier. If buying from CoPart, search for "running" vehicles. 2 reasons; 1st you know it's a runner and 2nd, a running vehicle is cheaper to ship. I choose to shop the upper line model Legacy/Outback LL Bean model for my 6 because I figured this model was likely to have been "well cared for".

The one thing holding me back thus far from buying the donor with the EZ30D is the auto transmission. Is this an easy swap to put a 5mt tranny in, using the ECU and wiring from the donor car? I have read that its the same ecu for the auto tranny car and manual tranny from 1999-2004 with cars running the EJ25. Another poster once mentioned that you just have to cut one wire to get the ecu to work with the manual transmission. So is it easy to just swap in a manual tranny?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Mar 10 2015, 07:48 PM
Post #22

Professional Enthusiast

Member No.: 11,072
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(R_u_dd @ Mar 10 2015, 07:04 PM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Mar 10 2015, 02:14 PM) *

The EZ30 is only 1.5" longer than the 2.5L 4 cyl. and slightly heavier. If buying from CoPart, search for "running" vehicles. 2 reasons; 1st you know it's a runner and 2nd, a running vehicle is cheaper to ship. I choose to shop the upper line model Legacy/Outback LL Bean model for my 6 because I figured this model was likely to have been "well cared for".

The one thing holding me back thus far from buying the donor with the EZ30D is the auto transmission. Is this an easy swap to put a 5mt tranny in, using the ECU and wiring from the donor car? I have read that its the same ecu for the auto tranny car and manual tranny from 1999-2004 with cars running the EJ25. Another poster once mentioned that you just have to cut one wire to get the ecu to work with the manual transmission. So is it easy to just swap in a manual tranny?

Its really simple. bolt up a manual flywheel, attach the pressure plate, and bolt on the transmission. The ECU will throw a code for a missing auto (no ez30D's were offered in the US with a stick) but it will not affect performance, driveability, or reliability. there are only a few plugs that go to the auto and you can just leave them unplugged or remove them.

There is no cut one wire and fix the codes though, because the ECU was only made for auto cars.
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Mar 10 2015, 07:51 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

It's very easy to use a manual trans with an EZ30 engine. Take a look at 76-914 and rnellums build threads. They both used the stock ECUs. You really can't do an auto trans unless you use an older 2WD box, which is not recommended unless the driver must have an auto.

What you need to decide is what level of power you want. A 6 cylinder makes the car VERY quick and fast compared to stock. Lots of fun as long as you are ready for the car to become a completely different animal. If you want the feel of an enhanced version of a stock 914 go with a 2.5.

OU8AVW - Please post pics of your project in my Vanagon thread - even if it gets moved that's OK!
+Quote Post
partwerks
post Aug 7 2022, 07:51 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 6,787

QUOTE(76-914 @ Mar 10 2015, 01:14 PM) *

Do the 6 cylinder fit in the engine bay without having to cut into the trunk floor?
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Aug 7 2022, 10:39 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

QUOTE(partwerks @ Aug 8 2022, 01:51 PM) *

Do the 6 cylinder fit in the engine bay without having to cut into the trunk floor?

Yep do the six as it sounds like a Porsche ,first one I heard in a SVX ,wow that sounded great,in my country this was the only model using the six.
Now flash forward and several years later the H6 Legacy wagons are imported as JDM and renamed Lancaster in large numbers.
I know little about them really ,but hear the H6 is a well made engine .
A mate had a full on race car that once was a V8 and he is doing a 3.6 H6 Subi with twin turbo's ,should be a great track car.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Aug 8 2022, 09:52 AM
Post #26

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(partwerks @ Aug 7 2022, 06:51 PM) *

Yes
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th May 2024 - 10:54 PM