Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

52 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914-6/904 project begins
r_towle
post Aug 23 2015, 09:05 AM
Post #121

Custom Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

Adam cutting up a car? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)

What is going on here??? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bs.gif)

This is not right (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)

Modifying a 914 to unique owner specs? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Adam,,of you need help, setup a party so we can come cut up some sheet metal and get that body mounted already...

Have it on the test mule by open house....

Rich
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Aug 23 2015, 03:21 PM
Post #122

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Do what you will. The 928 guys are seeing chevy V8 cars now regularly. That's fine. Anyone that wants to take a 25k car and make it into a 10k car can do as they will. You say you couldn't spend 20k on a project yet your willing to erase history and likely investment value to build a kit car. After all, no matter what you do your not building a real 904... Where's the Porsche lineage?

From an engineering standpoint if you change the length of the car your changing a lot more than the length. The time invested in building a proper chassis would far outweigh the amount of work you will encounter trying to unfix the altered wheelbase. And a proper tube chassis will be lighter, stronger, more aesthetically pleasing and far more tunable than a chopped up unit body. You quote Ferry. He didn't put his stamp of approval on a cut up unit body car when the 904 project underwent development. But hey... as the Chinese say. You can't tell someone something their not ready to hear.

Flame on. Respectfully I need to say my perception of engineering goes way beyond the quick and dirty.
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Aug 23 2015, 06:15 PM
Post #123

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,276
Region Association: None

Rick-
A couple of things.
1. I don't think you or a few others really understand what I'm doing. I bought a car that was at the end of the line, obsolete in racing, had already been sitting for 8 years since it last saw the track, and it took the guy 6 months on the world's largest marketplace to sell it, meaning nobody wanted it. I'm taking a car no one wants and making it in the long tradition of a Porsche Special, this goes back to the beginning of the Marque. I'm re-inventing something that the world has deemed obsolete and making it desirable once again. I already have two offers to buy when I am finished, one of which bought my last "special" Da Spoodster.
2. Everyone is going on and on about the history, which will be preserved in any real sense by the car still being used, which it wouldn't have been if I hadn't of bought it. It's not like it would have ever raced again, it's was completely obsolete in it's last clas of GT3, because it was getting smoked by real GT3's. The Hewland gearbox upgrade was the last gasp for this car.
3. A certain group is screaming of what a tragedy my project is, yet not one person has made a real offer to buy the car and thus "save" it. So my original truth still holds true, it's a car no one really wants.
4. I fail to see how this is a "kit car", it's a Porsche body down to the last millimeter, put this body next to an original fiberglass 904 and find a difference, there isn't one. I am putting it on a Porsche chassis, using nothing but Porsche components, and it retains a Porsche VIN. I fail to see how this isn't a Porsche. That's like saying an Abarth isn't a 356.

So 50 years from now then this car is still being traded around due to it's uniqueness, long after the yellow 914 would have been stripped for the guts and left behind someone's shop to rot, you guys can come back and thank me for my vision.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
wndsnd
post Aug 23 2015, 06:21 PM
Post #124

You wanted a horse, but got a goat. Nobody wants a goat....

Member No.: 14,124
Region Association: North East States

Does nothing for me.

+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Aug 23 2015, 06:39 PM
Post #125

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(wndsnd @ Aug 23 2015, 07:21 PM) *

Does nothing for me.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yawn.gif) quick and dirty
+Quote Post
Bruce Hinds
post Aug 23 2015, 06:50 PM
Post #126

V-8 madness

Member No.: 7,391
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

PM sent - 356 related . . .
+Quote Post
gms
post Aug 23 2015, 06:55 PM
Post #127

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,785
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Adam is there a build thread for "Da Spoodster"
BTW there might be a copyright infringement using "Da" to describe anything outside of Chicago
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Aug 23 2015, 07:02 PM
Post #128

Advanced Member

Here is the thread for Da Spoodster

<http://forum.porsche356registry.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=28200&hilit=spoodster>

http://forum.porsche356registry.org/viewto...hilit=spoodster

There are a lot of parallels between the two projects, no one wanted the wide body monster that I started with building Da Spoodster, but there was a line waiting before I even got it done.
+Quote Post
warpig
post Aug 23 2015, 07:13 PM
Post #129

Member No.: 12,002
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Aug 23 2015, 05:15 PM) *

Rick-

So 50 years from now then this car is still being traded around due to it's uniqueness, long after the yellow 914 would have been stripped for the guts and left behind someone's shop to rot, you guys can come back and thank me for my vision.

I prefer not to wait 50 years, Thanks for doing this. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
Bartlett 914
post Aug 23 2015, 07:17 PM
Post #130

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,707

Adam I have to ask how far have you looked through this project? The 904 is wider and shorter like 6" Where do you plan on removing the 6"in the length?. This will have to come out of the passenger compartment somewhere. The 904 is also wider. The wheelbase is different. This car will end up being such a hack job if you really don't complete a real blueprint with dimensions. You are going to end up with another hack job like the center drive car. Clearly that was one done without any real thought. No one appreciates that vision. The body of the 904 is one of the most beautiful cars ever made. This could end up looking like a cheap "Kit car". By the time you do all the hacking to make this work and money spent, you could have constructed a perfectly fitted tube frame that will function better. than the 914 ever could. I suggest a taking deep breath and giving additional thought to the full process. If you want people to appreciate your vision, do it right.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Aug 23 2015, 07:46 PM
Post #131

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

Why is everyone giving this guy so much shit? Leave his alone so he can build his car, his way.

Too many armchair quarterbacks around here... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Aug 23 2015, 07:56 PM
Post #132

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

I get disappointed every time I open this thread and the content isn't about the build. Let's all just sit back, crack open a cold one, and enjoy the work going on.

Keep up the good work. Can't wait to see this thing come alive.
+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post Aug 23 2015, 08:15 PM
Post #133

Major Member

Member No.: 2,660
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Aug 23 2015, 05:46 PM) *

Why is everyone giving this guy so much shit? Leave his alone so he can build his car, his way.

Too many armchair quarterbacks around here... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

I want to see this thing come together. It's not like he is cutting up Fangio's last ride. It is an old, tired, obsolete race car of which there are many, many out there. That part of the argument, I think, is over. Or should be. Nobody wanted it, he bought it, it is his, move on.

As for the dimensions and engineering, isn't that what we wait with baited breath for in a good build thread? Can't we just wait to see how he overcomes the challenges ahead? Please?
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Aug 23 2015, 08:21 PM
Post #134

Advanced Member

That's why I'm slicing up the center seat car first, to see if I can do it, if I don't, no harm done. I will decide what to do with the yellow car and figure out another way.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Aug 23 2015, 08:26 PM
Post #135

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Aug 23 2015, 08:15 PM) *

Rick-
A couple of things.
1. I don't think you or a few others really understand what I'm doing. I bought a car that was at the end of the line, obsolete in racing, had already been sitting for 8 years since it last saw the track, and it took the guy 6 months on the world's largest marketplace to sell it, meaning nobody wanted it. I'm taking a car no one wants and making it in the long tradition of a Porsche Special, this goes back to the beginning of the Marque. I'm re-inventing something that the world has deemed obsolete and making it desirable once again. I already have two offers to buy when I am finished, one of which bought my last "special" Da Spoodster.
2. Everyone is going on and on about the history, which will be preserved in any real sense by the car still being used, which it wouldn't have been if I hadn't of bought it. It's not like it would have ever raced again, it's was completely obsolete in it's last clas of GT3, because it was getting smoked by real GT3's. The Hewland gearbox upgrade was the last gasp for this car.
3. A certain group is screaming of what a tragedy my project is, yet not one person has made a real offer to buy the car and thus "save" it. So my original truth still holds true, it's a car no one really wants.
4. I fail to see how this is a "kit car", it's a Porsche body down to the last millimeter, put this body next to an original fiberglass 904 and find a difference, there isn't one. I am putting it on a Porsche chassis, using nothing but Porsche components, and it retains a Porsche VIN. I fail to see how this isn't a Porsche. That's like saying an Abarth isn't a 356.

It's a cool project. You bought and paid for everything so you can do what you want.
I would have to disagree that it was a car that no one wants. That market is very limited and timing is everything. Many may want it, vintage racing is all the rage and for good reason. It's a lot of fun. That car has a history.
All I think anyone is saying is that they wish you wouldn't sacrifice a car with history to do this.
Here's an example of a car that was at the end of its run. No one wanted it. It was abandoned at Road Atlanta. This picture was taken by our own Paul Woodbury (Ury914). It was purchased by Adam Carolla and restored by Les Canaday at Classic Datsun Motorsports.
Again, do what you want. But the dissenters have a point...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Aug 23 2015, 08:30 PM
Post #136

Advanced Member

Well, if someone really wants it, I'm not hard to find, so far, lots of tears and hand wringing, but no signs of a checkbook.
+Quote Post
wingnut86
post Aug 23 2015, 08:41 PM
Post #137

...boola la boo boola boo...

Member No.: 11,645

Geezus.

This is why I left the Pontiac threads after so many years.

AND, those guys got their asses kicked out of GM!

...unfairly I might add (69' was my favorite year - NO, not position).

Anyone remember "The9XXClub"?????

And people laugh when I suddenly want to build a boat (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bootyshake.gif)

Scotty, you sick muppet...

I AGREE Adam:bullshit:

And, there's always Club NARP...

From South Carolina, where being 1st in many things, ...and last in others is, well, can be a real Bummer.

Dave B.
+Quote Post
Garland
post Aug 23 2015, 08:41 PM
Post #138

Restoration Fanatic

Member No.: 1,535

Enjoy it, or just be entertained, not that there's anything wrong with that! To each his own. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

"The yellow 914 would have been stripped for the guts and left behind someone's shop to rot."

True since no one else wanted it, most likely it would go for parts.
And if they did (let's make this simple) if you snoozed you lost! 6 months, really, you missed out. For those of you that were going to buy it, and not swap out any parts, how big is your collection? And how did you miss this one?

If you were selling your, car. And you couldn't sell it ,with out parting it out. You would put it in storage till somehow you got a offer, or went broke, or, you died first?
He sold it!

Personally, I'll chatch a episode from time to time, as with all else here.

I sold my bike to a kid down the street, 3 days later, it was repainted, with different handle bars, I was horrified. I was 12.

+Quote Post
wingnut86
post Aug 23 2015, 08:58 PM
Post #139

DUDE, not the fancy Evil Knievel version with the dope tank (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif)

...course I was into girls, OP gear & new Bones wheel on my skateboard by then.

"Can't We All Just Get Along" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

QUOTE(Garland @ Aug 23 2015, 10:41 PM) *

Enjoy it, or just be entertained, not that there's anything wrong with that! To each his own. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

"The yellow 914 would have been stripped for the guts and left behind someone's shop to rot."

True since no one else wanted it, most likely it would go for parts.
And if they did (let's make this simple) if you snoozed you lost! 6 months, really, you missed out. For those of you that were going to buy it, and not swap out any parts, how big is your collection? And how did you miss this one?

If you were selling your, car. And you couldn't sell it ,with out parting it out. You would put it in storage till somehow you got a offer, or went broke, or, you died first?
He sold it!

Personally, I'll chatch a episode from time to time, as with all else here.

I sold my bike to a kid down the street, 3 days later, it was repainted, with different handle bars, I was horrified. I was 12.

+Quote Post
wingnut86
post Aug 23 2015, 09:00 PM
Post #140

Two thoughts Rich:

1- That's some funny Shite you typed (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

2- Where are them damn greedy Admins when you need them (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Dave B.

QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 23 2015, 11:05 AM) *

Adam cutting up a car? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)

What is going on here??? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bs.gif)

This is not right (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)

Modifying a 914 to unique owner specs? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Adam,,of you need help, setup a party so we can come cut up some sheet metal and get that body mounted already...

Have it on the test mule by open house....

Rich

+Quote Post

52 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th May 2024 - 01:53 AM