Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

52 Pages V « < 6 7 8 9 10 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914-6/904 project begins
ConeDodger
post Aug 23 2015, 09:02 PM
Post #141

Apex killer!

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Aug 23 2015, 10:30 PM) *

Well, if someone really wants it, I'm not hard to find, so far, lots of tears and hand wringing, but no signs of a checkbook.

Really? Crying? I don't see anyone crying. Just having a discussion about the wisdom of cutting up a car with history.

I said it in the first sentence. Do what you want.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Aug 23 2015, 09:19 PM
Post #142

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 23 2015, 10:02 PM) *

Well, if someone really wants it, I'm not hard to find, so far, lots of tears and hand wringing, but no signs of a checkbook.

Really? Crying? I don't see anyone crying. Just having a discussion about the wisdom of cutting up a car with history.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Really? Said the same thing. do as you will. And you have had a considerable offer.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Aug 23 2015, 09:37 PM
Post #143

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,276
Region Association: None

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Aug 23 2015, 07:19 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Really? Said the same thing. do as you will. And you have had a considerable offer.

Rick-
I've had two offers for the car, one guy offered me $10,000, since he said that's all I had in it. I declined.
The 2nd came from Dug and was also a mediocre offer. Had I taken that offer I would at best be back to square one with the car, but be out thousands of dollars of what I've put into it, not to mention the time. At worst my car ends up on the other end of the country with someone I don't know working on it. If there is a problem what is my solution? Fly to Cali, or send the car back if I'm un-happy with the work done. Like I said before, too many chances for that deal to go sideways.

I'm sure Dug is a stand up guy, in fact we might be related, both being Wright's and all. But that deal was not a good one for me, at all. At this point I have a big pile of money tied up in a project that many are saying can't be done. I have taken much more risk with this car than I did with Da Spoodster, I got that car for nothing, and horse traded for most of the parts. After all the money spent on this car and headaches I've had to secure the body and the car itself, I'm not keen on throwing many thousands down the toilet, just so someone can re-unite the body with old bodywork. I don't believe it was even that important to Dug, because he said he didn't want to put any money towards the deal, other than pay shipping and do the work, neither of which help me, and he knew I had thousands already into work in the car.
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Aug 23 2015, 10:46 PM
Post #144

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

A. I'd like all of these butchered 914s destroyed. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=262635

B. Just read the da spoodster build. Boy did those 356 people love it. I do too. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

C. Forgetaboutit? No. Build it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

+Quote Post
Stacks914
post Aug 24 2015, 12:41 AM
Post #145

Member No.: 18,582

Yea I gotta say someone can do with whatever they want if they own something. Nice of you to go ahead and explain the lengths you went through to try and preserve the car! Anyway can you post some more pics of this shop with the sweet shit going on inside please!!! Oh and I want one of those 356's...
+Quote Post
gms
post Aug 24 2015, 10:25 AM
Post #146

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,785
Region Association: Upper MidWest

how cool is this!
the model is still available
Garretson Enterprises 914/6
Attached Image
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Aug 24 2015, 11:06 AM
Post #147

Apex killer!

QUOTE(gms @ Aug 24 2015, 12:25 PM) *

how cool is this!
the model is still available
Garretson Enterprises 914/6
Attached Image

Yup. Car was built by Bob Garretson, Bruce Anderson, and Jerry Wood. No matter how cool you think building a 904 replica or how real you think it would be based on how you got the body, it would be worth more historically and monetarily as a restored car. Raced and displayed at historic events. Two of those men are still alive. Bruce Anderson died a year ago after a long illness. I wonder how this escaped the grasp of Bruce Canepa? He buys and restores historically significant Porsches all the time.

If it were me, and don't get me wrong, I think it is a very cool project, I would build the tube frame and everything else by scratch. I started to with a partner, but the partner decided to "simplify" his life and we sold the roller body before we got too far into it.

Good luck with your project.
+Quote Post
gereed75
post Aug 24 2015, 01:40 PM
Post #148

Member No.: 15,674
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Aug 23 2015, 11:37 PM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Aug 23 2015, 07:19 PM) *

Rick-
I've had two offers for the car, one guy offered me $10,000, since he said that's all I had in it. I declined.
The 2nd came from Dug and was also a mediocre offer. Had I taken that offer I would at best be back to square one with the car, but be out thousands of dollars of what I've put into it, not to mention the time. At worst my car ends up on the other end of the country with someone I don't know working on it. If there is a problem what is my solution? Fly to Cali, or send the car back if I'm un-happy with the work done. Like I said before, too many chances for that deal to go sideways.

I'm sure Dug is a stand up guy, in fact we might be related, both being Wright's and all. But that deal was not a good one for me, at all. At this point I have a big pile of money tied up in a project that many are saying can't be done. I have taken much more risk with this car than I did with Da Spoodster, I got that car for nothing, and horse traded for most of the parts. After all the money spent on this car and headaches I've had to secure the body and the car itself, I'm not keen on throwing many thousands down the toilet, just so someone can re-unite the body with old bodywork. I don't believe it was even that important to Dug, because he said he didn't want to put any money towards the deal, other than pay shipping and do the work, neither of which help me, and he knew I had thousands already into work in the car.

Adam, re-read my offer, it was for more than $10,000.00
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Aug 24 2015, 04:04 PM
Post #149

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

And the king said, Divide the living child in two, and give half to the one, and half to the other.

Bring forth said car, for I owneth thy cutter of plasma-eth

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Aug 24 2015, 04:14 PM
Post #150

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121

QUOTE(wingnut86 @ Aug 23 2015, 08:00 PM) *

2- Where are them damn greedy Admins when you need them (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Probably over on the Club site. The World has admins that aren't greedy...

--DD
+Quote Post
RoadGlue
post Aug 24 2015, 04:33 PM
Post #151

Sonoma County Gear Head

Group: Admin
Member No.: 108

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 24 2015, 03:14 PM) *

QUOTE(wingnut86 @ Aug 23 2015, 08:00 PM) *

2- Where are them damn greedy Admins when you need them (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Probably over on the Club site. The World has admins that aren't greedy...

--DD

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon12.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon12.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon12.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon12.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon12.gif)
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Aug 24 2015, 05:49 PM
Post #152

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Me thinks Glenn-Bob and Dug-Bob should join farces and make Adam-Bob an offer he can't refuse.

I think a well done 904 project would be cool.

Saving the Garretson car would be even cooler.

Slithering back to my greedy admin cave (after I ban Rich for life of course) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hide.gif)
+Quote Post
Chris Pincetich
post Aug 24 2015, 06:19 PM
Post #153

B-)

Member No.: 4,907

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Aug 24 2015, 06:31 PM
Post #154

Apex killer!

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 24 2015, 07:49 PM) *

Me thinks Glenn-Bob and Dug-Bob should join farces and make Adam-Bob an offer he can't refuse.

I think a well done 904 project would be cool.

Saving the Garretson car would be even cooler.

Slithering back to my greedy admin cave (after I ban Rich for life of course) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hide.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) You are a wise one oh source of all Shea Lotion... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
Mike D.
post Aug 24 2015, 07:01 PM
Post #155

OK, It runs now, and pretty good too!

Member No.: 85

I really don't care either way...

But, what's the deal with "Da Spoodster" - it just looks like a RatRod 356... am I missing something there?
+Quote Post
Stacks914
post Aug 24 2015, 07:09 PM
Post #156

Member No.: 18,582

While it's cool its in no way the responsibility of the owner to preserve a car. If you wanna preserve it, like the man said......he takes checks....sounds like bigger ones
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Aug 24 2015, 07:16 PM
Post #157

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

QUOTE(Mike D. @ Aug 24 2015, 06:01 PM) *

But, what's the deal with "Da Spoodster" - it just looks like a RatRod 356... am I missing something there?

If you read through all 14 pages of the build thread, a ton of work went in to that rat rod. It was a coupe that someone really fuched up.
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Aug 24 2015, 07:22 PM
Post #158

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,276

QUOTE(Mike D. @ Aug 24 2015, 05:01 PM) *

It is painted in Eastwood Rat Rod Black, so you're right there.

If you read the build thread you will see someone long before me wanted a Cali Widebody, so they built one out of an A Coupe. I got it and made it into a Speedster, using all metal. It was cool, but it took me years. It's in Australia now.
+Quote Post
Mike D.
post Aug 24 2015, 08:35 PM
Post #159

OK, It runs now, and pretty good too!

Member No.: 85

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Aug 24 2015, 06:22 PM) *

If you read the build thread you will see someone long before me wanted a Cali Widebody, so they built one out of an A Coupe. I got it and made it into a Speedster, using all metal. It was cool, but it took me years. It's in Australia now.

Was it Mike Z.? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
gereed75
post Aug 24 2015, 09:07 PM
Post #160

Member No.: 15,674
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Aug 24 2015, 09:22 PM) *

Adam, Just to set the record straight, my offer was well over $10,000.00 and it was you who posted "I got it for $15,000, and sold the gearbox for $5000, so I'm down to $10,000. "... not me.

Signed "one guy"
+Quote Post

52 Pages V « < 6 7 8 9 10 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th May 2024 - 07:14 AM