Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

52 Pages V « < 9 10 11 12 13 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914-6/904 project begins
Unobtanium-inc
post Aug 25 2015, 07:27 PM
Post #201

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,276
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Aug 25 2015, 05:14 PM) *

If I were Adam, I would not EVER post here again. Some people here sound like the biggest dicks. Talk about taking the fun out of a hobby? The poor guy has had to defend himself and HIS FREAKING BUILD at least fifteen times. He does own the car, and he can do with it whatever he wants.

Adam, are you a masochist?

Nope, just passionate about Porsche. But thanks.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Aug 25 2015, 07:42 PM
Post #202

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Member No.: 7,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

If I remember right, the 904's fiberglass body was glued onto the frame. Planning on doing the same?
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Aug 25 2015, 07:43 PM
Post #203

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Aug 25 2015, 05:42 PM) *

If I remember right, the 904's fiberglass body was glued onto the frame. Planning on doing the same?

Not there yet, but it is an option.
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Aug 25 2015, 07:45 PM
Post #204

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(gms @ Aug 25 2015, 06:27 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 25 2015, 07:44 PM) *

10 pages and i'm still not exactly sure what the hell is going on here ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

It is kind of like when a developer is trying to knock down a historic building and there are protesters trying to stop the demolition
Strangely enough in this case there are a number of people calling for the demolition of the building.

Equally strange is that the 'historic' bodywork for the car is sitting neglected outside in the elements, thousands of miles from the chassis.

This is the kind of anal hypocrisy that gives preservationists a bad name.

I'll be following your build, good luck with it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Aug 25 2015, 07:49 PM
Post #205

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Member No.: 7,318

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Aug 25 2015, 09:43 PM) *

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Aug 25 2015, 05:42 PM) *

Not there yet, but it is an option.

Automotive panel adhesive has come a long way in 50+ years. I love the stuff & wish it was'nt so damned expensive; best household "glue" I've ever used (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
infraredcalvin
post Aug 25 2015, 07:53 PM
Post #206

Distracted Member

Member No.: 9,463
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Aug 25 2015, 06:14 PM) *

If I were Adam, I would not EVER post here again. Some people here sound like the biggest dicks. Talk about taking the fun out of a hobby? The poor guy has had to defend himself and HIS FREAKING BUILD at least fifteen times. He does own the car, and he can do with it whatever he wants.

Adam, are you a masochist?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

QUOTE(gms @ Aug 25 2015, 06:27 PM) *

It is kind of like when a developer is trying to knock down a historic building and there are protesters trying to stop the demolition
Strangely enough in this case there are a number of people calling for the demolition of the building.

I'm a developer, there's a reason those buildings go by the wayside, and it's waaaay beyond the value to fix it up, making whole is beyond $$$ in some cases. Similar to this situation, there are going to be feelings, emotions, goals, bucket list, that cannot be expressed in words by the OP and are valid reasons for him not to let the car go for any price. In fact this nonsense has probably solidified the cars fate...

Let's get on to the build!
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Aug 25 2015, 08:51 PM
Post #207

Advanced Member

I'm a developer, there's a reason those buildings go by the wayside, and it's waaaay beyond the value to fix it up, making whole is beyond $$$ in some cases. Similar to this situation, there are going to be feelings, emotions, goals, bucket list, that cannot be expressed in words by the OP and are valid reasons for him not to let the car go for any price. In fact this nonsense has probably solidified the cars fate...

Let's get on to the build!

When I lived in Brooklyn my landlord owned our building but also owned a whole block right behind on on the East River. He wanted to develop it as waterfront living, a bunch of people wanted to preserve the building. A hearing was set for certain Monday at 10AM, this is what I awoke to that Monday at 7AM.

There was no hearing, they demo'ed what was left and built condos. That landlord had about 5 fires in the few years I knew him. When I saw him on the street that morning, he said he got a call at 5 AM that morning. I asked if the caller said, "It's done" He told me where to put those thoughts in typical Brooklyn fashion.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post Aug 25 2015, 09:18 PM
Post #208

Major Member

Member No.: 2,660
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(gms @ Aug 25 2015, 05:27 PM) *

I agree with the analogy. Yet 99 times out of 100, those passionate preservationists can't seem to come up with a viable fiscal plan to not only purchase and preserve the building, but most importantly maintain it.

Everything costs money in one way or another, even if it is "free". My daughter was awarded free tickets to last night's Reds game for getting straight A's. After parking, dinner, and a beer (for me), I had spent $55 before the first pitch.

Adam listed what he needs in a car a few posts up. I would find it hard to believe that among the folks who want to see this car saved, the parts, tub and skills to put it together are not there. Rather than bash him, those folks need come up with a plan that both sides can live with, put a deadline on it, and deliver. Win/win. From what I can see, his demands are not that tall - running, driving, higher displacement six conversion with big brakes. Hell, you could just drive a good tub up there, rent a shop and swap everything over the course of a couple of days. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) I can't be the only original thinker here.

BTW, Adam, if I were you, I would rather do the build on an ex-street car than an ex-race car. Repairs on racers are not always pretty.
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Aug 25 2015, 09:28 PM
Post #209

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

AND

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/dead horse.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dead horse.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dead horse.gif)

SO

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Aug 25 2015, 09:43 PM
Post #210

Advanced Member

QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Aug 25 2015, 07:18 PM) *

QUOTE(gms @ Aug 25 2015, 05:27 PM) *

I agree with the analogy. Yet 99 times out of 100, those passionate preservationists can't seem to come up with a viable fiscal plan to not only purchase and preserve the building, but most importantly maintain it.

Everything costs money in one way or another, even if it is "free". My daughter was awarded free tickets to last night's Reds game for getting straight A's. After parking, dinner, and a beer (for me), I had spent $55 before the first pitch.

Adam listed what he needs in a car a few posts up. I would find it hard to believe that among the folks who want to see this car saved, the parts, tub and skills to put it together are not there. Rather than bash him, those folks need come up with a plan that both sides can live with, put a deadline on it, and deliver. Win/win. From what I can see, his demands are not that tall - running, driving, higher displacement six conversion with big brakes. Hell, you could just drive a good tub up there, rent a shop and swap everything over the course of a couple of days. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) I can't be the only original thinker here.

BTW, Adam, if I were you, I would rather do the build on an ex-street car than an ex-race car. Repairs on racers are not always pretty.

Yeah, but racers hate rust, so this car has none.
+Quote Post
Old Yella
post Aug 25 2015, 09:44 PM
Post #211

Old Yella

Member No.: 16,086
Region Association: Southwest Region

I've met a lot of developers who lived in the suburbs with preservation orders yet "develop"in less affluent areas. Funny thing that.

Chop the car up and do it quickly.
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Aug 26 2015, 12:58 AM
Post #212

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431

QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Aug 25 2015, 08:18 PM) *

Hell, you could just drive a good tub up there, rent a shop and swap everything over the course of a couple of days. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) I can't be the only original thinker here.

Close to what I was thinking. It's not like half of us don't have a car stashed on the side of the house with plans we're probably never going to get too...
I could be into it pretty cheap if I could put the hours into it. But reality is I really don't need another car in the garage collecting dust until I hit Megabucks.
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Aug 26 2015, 08:22 AM
Post #213

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Aug 25 2015, 10:58 PM) *

QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Aug 25 2015, 08:18 PM) *

Hell, you could just drive a good tub up there, rent a shop and swap everything over the course of a couple of days. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) I can't be the only original thinker here.

Close to what I was thinking. It's not like half of us don't have a car stashed on the side of the house with plans we're probably never going to get too...
I could be into it pretty cheap if I could put the hours into it. But reality is I really don't need another car in the garage collecting dust until I hit Megabucks.

Remember it's a disease, there is no cure, just medicine, i.e more cars.
+Quote Post
JDW914
post Aug 26 2015, 09:35 AM
Post #214

Member No.: 12,990
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Hi Adam! This is quite the thread you've got going here. I don't think I've ever seen this community so up-in-arms about anything. I'll not put my input in the controversy, since I'm feel pretty neutral about it, but I am curious about a few aspects of your project.

For one, I've not seen anyone ask or any explanation as to: Why you are so set on putting a 6-cylinder in a 904? Weren't the originals all beefy 4-cylinders with DOHC, except for a few limited run 904/6s? It seems to me I read that Porsche had trouble with body overstress when they tried to put an F6 in the 904, and had to add a tube-frame, turning it into the 906. I'd imagine that cutting the body off of a 914 and bonding the 904 body onto it then adding an overweight engine (for the fibreglass shell) might well present a similar problem without some rather drastic countermeasures.

You might want to do a bit of stress analysis on the center-drive 914 and an analogue to your rather exclusive 904 body before you decide to assemble the final car. Panel adhesive is utterly ridiculous to try to undo, especially on fiberglass.

Just my $0.02. I look forward to seeing whatever comes out of all this.
+Quote Post
dwillouby
post Aug 26 2015, 10:50 AM
Post #215

Member No.: 29

Hell I would not care if it was Hitler's staff car and he wanted to make a dune buggy out of it.
He owns it He can do what he wants and I wish him success.
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post Aug 26 2015, 10:51 AM
Post #216

914 Guru

Member No.: 50

You forgot about the best versions, the 904s with the type 771 flat 8s in them (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My-Lv3fqplU
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Aug 26 2015, 11:07 AM
Post #217

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176

Don't restored vintage racecars with history do quite well in the market ?
Isn't a vintage racecar restored to its period livery and performance more valuable than one that has been made un- recognizable?
Isn't there more upside in going toward its history than there is going sideways ?
+Quote Post
RoadGlue
post Aug 26 2015, 11:19 AM
Post #218

Sonoma County Gear Head

Group: Admin
Member No.: 108
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Aug 26 2015, 10:07 AM) *

Don't restored vintage racecars with history do quite well in the market ?
Isn't a vintage racecar restored to its period livery and performance more valuable than one that has been made un- recognisable?
Isn't there more upside in going toward its history than there is going sideways ?

Hey now, you can just take the logic of yours and take it over to another thread. Dr. Porsche himself would be proud to see this car be transformed into one his beloved 904s. Adam has assured us of this!
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Aug 26 2015, 02:52 PM
Post #219

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156

I think the 904 will bring even more money. Can't wait to see the build. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif)
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Aug 26 2015, 03:16 PM
Post #220

Advanced Member

Just picked up the car, it is running wonderfully, hoping to find a big empty parking lot to let loose in, if not I might risk putting Dealer Plates on it, but I might not be able to talk my way out of that one.
The body is all ready for display for the open house on Saturday Sept. 5th, hope to see everyone there.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post

52 Pages V « < 9 10 11 12 13 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th June 2024 - 08:03 AM