Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

52 Pages V « < 28 29 30 31 32 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914-6/904 project begins
Unobtanium-inc
post Jan 8 2017, 12:35 PM
Post #581

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,276
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Jan 8 2017, 10:07 AM) *

It doesn't matter what you say there those of us on here that feel you screwed up and shouldn't whacked this car. I hope you prove us wrong, but I have my doubts.

Build your car, but you will need some thick skin to get past us nay sayers. You post on a open forum, on a 914 enthusiasts website, don't expect everyone to be happy. You could have taken ALL the go fast good stuff off and used it on another chassis to cut up. Slap some 4 lug stuff on the racecar chassis and move it along. All that time and money spent on "tunning" the engine and chassis to only whack it down to this was a waste.

If you are building this for you, great. If you are building with thoughts of selling down the road for a profit then, well good luck.

You make it sound so easy, just swap everything over, like legos. It's a little more complicated than that. But I do think we now have a name for the support group, we can call it the Nay Sayers!
I'm building this car for me, but then I was building the last one for me, I took it to one show, and the calls starting coming in. But what do I know, I just built a car that people wanted to buy, just like I find cars that people want to buy, all day every day, but please armchair quaterback away, I'll be on the road loading a super duper rare 356, hooking up the trailer in a few hours.
As far as having a thick skin, mine is thicker than most, years of selling ad space to NYC fashion houses will thicken it up like leather, now that's a tough crowd. If you read back through the several dozen pages of this thread the only time I've lost my cool with people is when they start making personal attacks on me or on cars I've built, other than that I have politely and patiently argued my vision of the car I am building, even calmly repeating myself over and over sometimes.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Bgyglfr
post Jan 8 2017, 12:45 PM
Post #582

Member No.: 18,191
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I'm not going to jump into the argument about the donor car. That's really over and done now. The car is cut up. I will share some advice. Based on the quality of the spoodester and what we've seen so far, I would suggest taking lots of time and doing this one right. A quality job is the only thing that will close this project/thread with a positive ending. The OP is a popular guy in the 356 world as a parts reseller and probably got some slack on the spoodster because of that. That said, if he wants to be known as a quality restorer in any way, he better post some quality work with nice fit and finish when it's done. It will obviously be scrutinized here. If he doesn't care what people think, let the thread die and build it in private.
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Jan 8 2017, 01:14 PM
Post #583

You bought another 914?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 865

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Jan 8 2017, 12:35 PM) *

It doesn't matter what you say there those of us on here that feel you screwed up and shouldn't whacked this car. I hope you prove us wrong, but I have my doubts.

Build your car, but you will need some thick skin to get past us nay sayers. You post on a open forum, on a 914 enthusiasts website, don't expect everyone to be happy. You could have taken ALL the go fast good stuff off and used it on another chassis to cut up. Slap some 4 lug stuff on the racecar chassis and move it along. All that time and money spent on "tunning" the engine and chassis to only whack it down to this was a waste.

If you are building this for you, great. If you are building with thoughts of selling down the road for a profit then, well good luck.

You make it sound so easy, just swap everything over, like legos. It's a little more complicated than that. But I do think we now have a name for the support group, we can call it the Nay Sayers!

Really, you can't swap a whole 5 lug suspension and swap over to another chassis in a afternoon with the shop you have????? As for the /6 stuff you have to remove it all anyway (except for the engine mount) to do a quality build. So what's your point? It's no rocket science.

I'm not going to jump into the argument about the donor car. That's really over and done now. The car is cut up. I will share some advice. Based on the quality of the spoodester and what we've seen so far, I would suggest taking lots of time and doing this one right. A quality job is the only thing that will close this project/thread with a positive ending. The OP is a popular guy in the 356 world as a parts reseller and probably got some slack on the spoodster because of that. That said, if he wants to be known as a quality restorer in any way, he better post some quality work with nice fit and finish when it's done. It will obviously be scrutinized here. If he doesn't care what people think, let the thread die and build it in private.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Hope you prove us Nay Sayers wrong. I won't hold my breath.

+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Jan 8 2017, 01:28 PM
Post #584

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Jan 8 2017, 11:14 AM) *

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Jan 8 2017, 12:35 PM) *

Really, you can't swap a whole 5 lug suspension and swap over to another chassis in a afternoon with the shop you have????? As for the /6 stuff you have to remove it all anyway (except for the engine mount) to do a quality build. So what's your point? It's no rocket science.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Hope you prove us Nay Sayers wrong. I won't hold my breath.

Please don't hold your breath, but the next time I need "easy" mechanical work done you can come down and show me how easy it is. I'm not real good with mechanical, I'm way better at finding cars and selling them. So when work comes up I have two choices, let my shop guy do the work, but then he isn't working on anything else and making me any money or I can pay my mechanic at his shop, and Porsche mechanics aren't cheap. I haven't even had time to work on this car for the last 4 months and you want to add more work to my project. Like I said, everyone has an armchair.
+Quote Post
carr914
post Jan 8 2017, 01:48 PM
Post #585

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Jan 8 2017, 02:28 PM) *
I'm not real good with mechanical

It Shows!
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Jan 8 2017, 01:50 PM
Post #586

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Jan 8 2017, 10:35 AM) *

You make it sound so easy, just swap everything over, like legos.

I had Legos, maybe that why I'm a mechanic now and know it's easy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

If I lived closer I would offer to trade work for a 356 body. I've got an itch to do an Outlaw and put my big t4 to use. I'm sure I'd get some crap for hammering the fenders out to fit 7" cookies (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif)

Point is, one man's Porsche is another man's glorified VW that could use improvement.
+Quote Post
altitude411
post Jan 8 2017, 01:53 PM
Post #587

I drove my 6 into a tree

Member No.: 17,932
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Bgyglfr @ Jan 8 2017, 11:45 AM) *

If he doesn't care what people think, let the thread die and build it in private.

Bingo
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Jan 8 2017, 02:26 PM
Post #588

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jan 8 2017, 10:08 AM) *

Cant be unseen,, Cant be undone,,
all we can do is pray, 914904 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)

+Quote Post
Bruce Hinds
post Jan 8 2017, 04:03 PM
Post #589

V-8 madness

Member No.: 7,391
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

C'mon guys, give it a break. Has anyone counted how many of these 30 pages are actually about the build and how many about this idiotic banter?

The car was available for a long time, you snooze you loose. Adam doesn't appear to care what all you Nay Sayers think and neither do those of us interested in the build.

Cool project Adam, can't wait to see the results. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Jan 8 2017, 04:34 PM
Post #590

Advanced Member

I spend a lot of time on Porsche forums, a result of being in the business I guess and they all have a common theme. There are about a dozen guys who dominate the conversation and everyone else is supposed to get in line. Such is the case here, I'm now being urged to end my thread because a few people don't like it, or because I feel the need to defend my decisions on my car to a few people. Well, the problem for you dozen or so guys is there have been at least as many guys posting on here who do like the build, but I guess they aren't as loud or just plain aren't as mean.
I will say this again, there are no surprises to be had in this thread. I'm cutting up an old race car to build a dream car. No I am not a professional body man, but I do know a lot about Porsches. I'm also not a mechanic, I've never been great at it and I don't enjoy it so I stopped trying to get good several years ago. I'm a firm believer in going with what your good at and enjoy. I enjoy building cars and judging by the fact that my last car sold before I could even finish it, other people like my work. I judge it by that fact, not the opinion of a few guys on a forum.
So please if you don't like the build, the idea, the vision, or me, just don't click on the thread, because there are a lot of guys who want to see how this build plays out and I would much rather converse with them, then argue with a few loud guys who have degenerated the conversation to trashing my skills and abilities. If it was up to you guys I should probably just go and buy a new Beck and enjoy it but where is the fun in that?
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Jan 8 2017, 05:14 PM
Post #591

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176

Odd that you would mention dominating the conversation on other sites.
Not another word from me.... on one condition.
No more self portraits.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
My 914
post Jan 8 2017, 07:24 PM
Post #592

Casual Member

Member No.: 19,928
Region Association: North East States

Its your car and your thread. Do what you want with both. Posts are just comments and opinions. They will only affect you if you allow them to.
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Jan 8 2017, 07:37 PM
Post #593

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Jan 8 2017, 11:50 AM) *

I had Legos, maybe that why I'm a mechanic now and know it's easy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

If I lived closer I would offer to trade work for a 356 body. I've got an itch to do an Outlaw and put my big t4 to use. I'm sure I'd get some crap for hammering the fenders out to fit 7" cookies (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif)

Point is, one man's Porsche is another man's glorified VW that could use improvement.

We have a few of those, swing by anytime.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
jmitro
post Jan 8 2017, 07:38 PM
Post #594

Member No.: 18,986

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Jan 8 2017, 04:34 PM) *

So please if you don't like the build, the idea, the vision, or me, just don't click on the thread, because there are a lot of guys who want to see how this build plays out and I would much rather converse with them, then argue with a few loud guys who have degenerated the conversation to trashing my skills and abilities.

agreed. nobody really cares what they say except for them.

carry on with the build.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Jan 8 2017, 09:48 PM
Post #595

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Jan 8 2017, 05:37 PM) *

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Jan 8 2017, 11:50 AM) *

We have a few of those, swing by anytime.

It's like going to the pumpkin patch (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Eenie meenie miney moes,
picking the one with the fewest holes....
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Jan 8 2017, 10:12 PM
Post #596

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

BACK TO THE BUILD!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
bretth
post Jan 9 2017, 12:06 AM
Post #597

Member No.: 18,882

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Jan 8 2017, 11:12 PM) *

Hear! Hear! And if ever need a hand let me know, food included. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/jsharp.gif)

Brett
+Quote Post
My 914
post Jan 9 2017, 08:58 AM
Post #598

Casual Member

Member No.: 19,928
Region Association: North East States

agree as well. how about a picture?
+Quote Post
Bgyglfr
post Jan 9 2017, 01:22 PM
Post #599

Member No.: 18,191
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Hey Adam, I have had a few encounters with Unobtanium and have yet to work with you so I'm going to offer this with no expectations. Everyone here is going through a learning process on these cars. Some just are farther along than others. Everyone has been or will be where you are at some point. I started my learning 10+ years ago on early 911s. I don't know how much experience you have on the body side or how long you've been at it (building the cars, we know you have been in the business a long time) but I will offfer any support I can to help you make this come out with a quality result. Feel free to PM me if you want someone to bounce ideas off of. I'm not promising that I will be of great help nor am I claiming to be the best or even necessarily a better fabricator than you. I just know that sometimes it's nice to have someone who understands these cars to offer another perspective than the ones you are already getting. I would like to see this project come out well. If I can help, great, if not, that's cool too.
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Jan 9 2017, 01:36 PM
Post #600

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871
Region Association: South East States

We tell people on this site all the time, "It's your car...do what you want".

This holds true more than ever. 914's aren't rare. And, in the world of rare cars, neither are 914-6's.

Do what you want. Just do it right! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

+Quote Post

52 Pages V « < 28 29 30 31 32 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:30 PM