Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

52 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914-6/904 project begins
Unobtanium-inc
post Jul 27 2015, 09:55 PM
Post #61

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,276
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Perry Kiehl Clone @ Jul 27 2015, 07:43 PM) *

I remember seeing a picture of a burned out 904 (maybe South African) and I thought the firewall and "hell hole" area looked very much like a 914. There wasn't much in the way of detail though, and I've always wondered what elements from the 904 may have been carried over to the 914.

I'm finding a lot of similarities.
This is from 904-0025.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Jul 31 2015, 11:12 PM
Post #62

Advanced Member

The sixer is getting her new gearbox this week. Do you think I need more tire back there?

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Aug 6 2015, 11:16 AM
Post #63

Advanced Member

The gearbox is in, hopefully shake down will be Friday!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
madmax914
post Aug 6 2015, 05:18 PM
Post #64

Member No.: 17,007
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Jul 31 2015, 10:12 PM) *

The sixer is getting her new gearbox this week. Do you think I need more tire back there?

What size and type of wheel are those?
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Aug 6 2015, 06:27 PM
Post #65

Advanced Member

QUOTE(madmax914 @ Aug 6 2015, 03:18 PM) *

Some racing wheel, they're coming off, I had planned to research them then.
+Quote Post
stownsen914
post Aug 7 2015, 10:58 AM
Post #66

Member No.: 6,985

Wheels look like Jongbloed to me. Those are probably older, but on the current jongbloedracing.com site, the 305 wheel looks like yours ... THey make nice, lightweight wheels.

Scott
+Quote Post
madmax914
post Aug 7 2015, 11:45 AM
Post #67

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Aug 6 2015, 05:27 PM) *

QUOTE(madmax914 @ Aug 6 2015, 03:18 PM) *

Some racing wheel, they're coming off, I had planned to research them then.

Are you selling them?
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Aug 7 2015, 03:57 PM
Post #68

Advanced Member

Are you selling them?

Eventually yes, I just need to see what they bring.
+Quote Post
madmax914
post Aug 7 2015, 05:21 PM
Post #69

Gotta say you've got some pretty cool parts laying around.

I'll quit stocking you for your take-off parts.
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Aug 7 2015, 05:55 PM
Post #70

Advanced Member

QUOTE(madmax914 @ Aug 7 2015, 03:21 PM) *

Gotta say you've got some pretty cool parts laying around.

I'll quit stocking you for your take-off parts.

Max-
You should come to the open house on Sept. 5th, there is cool stuff everywhere.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
RoadGlue
post Aug 7 2015, 05:55 PM
Post #71

Sonoma County Gear Head

Group: Admin
Member No.: 108
Region Association: Northern California

I haven't lurked in a while so I'm late to the show. Still have to put in my 2 cents, and they are, "Man, I wish you would have picked a different car to do your Frankenstein build on." You say you care about the car being a Porsche, which is the seemingly only reason you didn't build a frame ground up. Yet you don't give a rat's behind about it being a Porsche. Porsche is more than a name to most of us and the donor car you selected has history. You're not honoring Porsche heritage by building a fake 904 on a perfectly good 914 chassis.

You're going to do what you're going to do, but bleh. You could have selected a different car. No excuses for that.

Have fun.
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Aug 7 2015, 06:09 PM
Post #72

Advanced Member

Randy,
I'll make the same arguement to you that I made to everyone else. Everyone wanted $25,000+ for half finished six conversions. Nobody wanted this car, it had been languishing on ebay for months, I got it for $15,000, and sold the gearbox for $5000, so I'm down to $10,000. The car had not been raced in years and was destined to be sitting for many more. I will drive it and maybe race again with it.
When I first got the car I offered to trade it for a tired six conversion if anyone wanted to preserve the heritage, all I heard was crickets.
So in actuality I am saving this car, it was destined to be chopped up for it's parts, which it would have been in a few years time.
As far as preserving history, I am also restoring the 58 A Coupe that won at Daytona in 66, I pulled this one out of the mud, where it was dumped in 69.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
gereed75
post Aug 7 2015, 08:28 PM
Post #73

Member No.: 15,674
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Aug 7 2015, 08:09 PM) *

Randy,
I'll make the same arguement to you that I made to everyone else. Everyone wanted $25,000+ for half finished six conversions. Nobody wanted this car, it had been languishing on ebay for months, I got it for $15,000, and sold the gearbox for $5000, so I'm down to $10,000. The car had not been raced in years and was destined to be sitting for many more. I will drive it and maybe race again with it.
When I first got the car I offered to trade it for a tired six conversion if anyone wanted to preserve the heritage, all I heard was crickets.
So in actuality I am saving this car, it was destined to be chopped up for it's parts, which it would have been in a few years time.
As far as preserving history, I am also restoring the 58 A Coupe that won at Daytona in 66, I pulled this one out of the mud, where it was dumped in 69.

Matt. Check your PM's.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Aug 7 2015, 11:32 PM
Post #74

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Aug 8 2015, 11:55 AM) *

I haven't lurked in a while so I'm late to the show. Still have to put in my 2 cents, and they are, "Man, I wish you would have picked a different car to do your Frankenstein build on." You say you care about the car being a Porsche, which is the seemingly only reason you didn't build a frame ground up. Yet you don't give a rat's behind about it being a Porsche. Porsche is more than a name to most of us and the donor car you selected has history. You're not honoring Porsche heritage by building a fake 904 on a perfectly good 914 chassis.

You're going to do what you're going to do, but bleh. You could have selected a different car. No excuses for that.

Have fun.

I don't think your comments aren't valid ,Adam has a lot of history in the Porsche resto world, and he has pointed that out clearly what he is doing,get over it man ..really ,wait till the car is finished and then make comment,can't see it being a hack job.
Use google and have a good look @ some REALLY horrible things done to ANY Porsche and come down to earth (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Its going to be another Porsche with a differant set of clothes afterall...nothing more than that,cheers.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Aug 7 2015, 11:36 PM
Post #75

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

QUOTE(porschetub @ Aug 8 2015, 05:32 PM) *

QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Aug 8 2015, 11:55 AM) *

Have fun.

I don't think your comments aren't valid ,Adam has a lot of history in the Porsche resto world, and he has pointed that out clearly what he is doing,get over it man ..really ,wait till the car is finished and then make comment,can't see it being a hack job.
Use google and have a good look @ some REALLY horrible things done to ANY Porsche and come down to earth (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Its going to be another Porsche with a differant set of clothes afterall...nothing more than that,cheers.

+Quote Post
dug
post Aug 19 2015, 07:08 AM
Post #76

Member No.: 7,382

Ok, I am actually offering to save this car. This deal will only cost you the time for the chassis' to get transported. I have a very highly built 914-6 race chassis (conversion but so is this car) that I am offering in trade. As I posted earlier, I already have the original Garretson's body work and rare early Gotti wheels. I was going to use it on the MetalCraft car, but it can still be used for molds. It belongs on this car, and this car belongs in vintage racing. The Garretson team was an IMSA championship and Le Mans winning team. This car was the car they built after Walt Maas won the 1976 IMSA GTU championship. It deserves to be preserved. So what if the last guy didn't care about it? So what if it might change your build timeline a little? Is that worth ruining a 40 year old piece of history that doesn't have far to go to be as raced?

Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
gereed75
post Aug 19 2015, 07:46 AM
Post #77

Member No.: 15,674
Region Association: North East States

Here is a similar non historic chassis to build on for similar dollars http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=262320
+Quote Post
stownsen914
post Aug 19 2015, 10:43 AM
Post #78

Member No.: 6,985

Here's one that's only $2000! Does need and engine and some parts to complete though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181835800655?force...5&viewitem=
+Quote Post
RoadGlue
post Aug 19 2015, 11:07 AM
Post #79

Sonoma County Gear Head

Group: Admin
Member No.: 108

QUOTE(dug @ Aug 19 2015, 06:08 AM) *

Ok, I am actually offering to save this car. This deal will only cost you the time for the chassis' to get transported. I have a very highly built 914-6 race chassis (conversion but so is this car) that I am offering in trade. As I posted earlier, I already have the original Garretson's body work and rare early Gotti wheels. I was going to use it on the MetalCraft car, but it can still be used for molds. It belongs on this car, and this car belongs in vintage racing. The Garretson team was an IMSA championship and Le Mans winning team. This car was the car they built after Walt Maas won the 1976 IMSA GTU championship. It deserves to be preserved. So what if the last guy didn't care about it? So what if it might change your build timeline a little? Is that worth ruining a 40 year old piece of history that doesn't have far to go to be as raced?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Aug 19 2015, 02:31 PM
Post #80

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

Take dug's offer. No peer pressure (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

It looks like the price was right on this car, but it's the wrong chassis for your project. Any average 914 can have the -6 mounts welded in, bolt on a few parts, cut what you don't need and have a 904 that didn't sacrifice history in the process.

OT- What's the story with all the bathtubs?
+Quote Post

52 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:54 AM