Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

52 Pages V « < 30 31 32 33 34 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914-6/904 project begins
ThePaintedMan
post Mar 11 2017, 07:00 PM
Post #621

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,527
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 11 2017, 04:32 PM) *

Speaking of that, where is the VIN on the inner front fender? still there?
The one stamped into the body?

Rich

That's a good point. From what the consensus is here (I've already been yelled at for asking the question), if you cut that VIN out and move it anywhere else, you are committing a crime. Food for thought.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
carr914
post Mar 11 2017, 09:08 PM
Post #622

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623

QUOTE(sechszylinder @ Mar 11 2017, 10:40 AM) *

wow, the original donor car will be less and less ...

Don't get me wrong, but makes it sense to strip down that car, instead of building one from scratch ?
What will be the percentage of the remaining car ?
I mean there is not much left over ,or ?(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

BR

Benno

because the builder is a Hack!
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Mar 11 2017, 10:39 PM
Post #623

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,276
Region Association: None

QUOTE(carr914 @ Mar 11 2017, 07:08 PM) *

Don't get me wrong, but makes it sense to strip down that car, instead of building one from scratch ?
I mean there is not much left over ,or ?(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

BR

Benno

How cute, a tough guy...
+Quote Post
bretth
post Mar 11 2017, 11:34 PM
Post #624

Member No.: 18,882
Region Association: Southwest Region

69,000 posts of constructive rhetoric no doubt.
+Quote Post
sechszylinder
post Mar 12 2017, 03:45 AM
Post #625

Member No.: 545

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Mar 11 2017, 01:21 PM) *

QUOTE(sechszylinder @ Mar 11 2017, 01:11 PM) *

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Mar 11 2017, 11:13 AM) *

QUOTE(sechszylinder @ Mar 11 2017, 07:40 AM) *

BR

Benno

If it's built on a Porsche, it's still a Porsche, if it's build on tube framing from a jungle gym, it's not a Porsche.

but your chassis features a Volkswagen VIN , right ? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Wrong side of the ocean, over here, where most of them were sold, they were Porsches. When was the last time you saw an ad for a Volkswagen 914? Nice try though.

It does not depends on the ads I've seen or not, but a car with a 47... VIN is made by Volkswagen / Karmann. Thats the reason why original sixes are so pricey, they are made officially by Porsche.
So everything build upon a 47... chassis will be a Volkswagen or better VW-Porsche made in Germany by Volkswagen.
But what happens if you cut out the stamped in chassis number in the inner front fender, then it s not even a vw any more ...

Don't get me wrong, I only try to understand the idea behind that car. In an very old Vw&Porsche mag I've seen a similar build. That must have been an issue from 1987 or so. I will see if I find it
br
Benno
+Quote Post
carr914
post Mar 12 2017, 05:36 AM
Post #626

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Mar 11 2017, 11:39 PM) *

How cute, a tough guy...

Just stating the obvious. I try to stay from this dumpster fire thread, but I look in hoping that you doing something good, but it just keeps getting worse!

1. Buy a historic car
2. Intention to make something that has some appeal
3. Hack the living Shit out of the car attempting to make things fit
4. the Hacking was the direct result of no talent what so ever

+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Mar 12 2017, 06:05 AM
Post #627

Advanced Member

QUOTE(sechszylinder @ Mar 12 2017, 01:45 AM) *

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Mar 11 2017, 01:21 PM) *

QUOTE(sechszylinder @ Mar 11 2017, 01:11 PM) *

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Mar 11 2017, 11:13 AM) *

QUOTE(sechszylinder @ Mar 11 2017, 07:40 AM) *

BR

Benno

If it's built on a Porsche, it's still a Porsche, if it's build on tube framing from a jungle gym, it's not a Porsche.

but your chassis features a Volkswagen VIN , right ? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Wrong side of the ocean, over here, where most of them were sold, they were Porsches. When was the last time you saw an ad for a Volkswagen 914? Nice try though.

It does not depends on the ads I've seen or not, but a car with a 47... VIN is made by Volkswagen / Karmann. Thats the reason why original sixes are so pricey, they are made officially by Porsche.
So everything build upon a 47... chassis will be a Volkswagen or better VW-Porsche made in Germany by Volkswagen.
But what happens if you cut out the stamped in chassis number in the inner front fender, then it s not even a vw any more ...

Don't get me wrong, I only try to understand the idea behind that car. In an very old Vw&Porsche mag I've seen a similar build. That must have been an issue from 1987 or so. I will see if I find it
br
Benno

As far as my overall philosophy behind the build, you will need to go back and read the other dozens of pages of this thread, I don't have it in me to go through that explanation again. But concerning your point of whether a Porsche is a Porsche depending on what coachbuilder built the body let's go back to the beginning. When Porsche could not handle production in 1948-1949 on the body shells they contracted with a number of other coachbuilders like Tatra and this tradition continued in 1952 with Heuer. When the Speedster was replaced in 1959 production of the Convertible D was shiifted to Drauz and later to D’Ieteren in Belgium. Then in 1960 they were expanding the line and contracted with aforementioned Karman Factory to build both the regular B T5 coupes as well as the Karmann Hardtops. The Karmann connection carried through all the way to the end of the 356 production and started again with the 912, ending in 1969. But since then Porsche has never really stopped using outside builders utilizing Valmet to build Boxsters and Caymans in Finland. I could go on and on, but the bottom line is that Porsche has a long history of using outside production to produce Porsches. My 60 Roadster was built by Drauz, is it any less Porsche? Or heaven forbid I would have kept 89032, it wasn't even built in Germany but in Belgium by D’Ieteren, it's not even German!!! The 914 was sold as a Porsche in the US market, which was Porsches biggest market. If you bought a 914 new it was a Porsche, when you registered it with the government it was a Porsche, years later if you go to sell it you advertise it as a Porsche. Yes there was a 914 which was far more robust in its mechanicals and was also sold as a Porsche 914-6, but if it's a 914 it's a Porsche, there is really no arguing that point and we are really splitting hairs if we start breaking down at what plant or factory your Porsche was built. I guess next time I take my Roadster out for a spin the other Porsche guys will shun me because mine was built at Drauz, so it's not reaaaalllllyyyy a Porsche. C'mon!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Mar 12 2017, 06:11 AM
Post #628

Advanced Member

QUOTE(carr914 @ Mar 12 2017, 03:36 AM) *

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Mar 11 2017, 11:39 PM) *

How cute, a tough guy...

Just stating the obvious. I try to stay from this dumpster fire thread, but I look in hoping that you doing something good, but it just keeps getting worse!

1. Buy a historic car
2. Intention to make something that has some appeal
3. Hack the living Shit out of the car attempting to make things fit
4. the Hacking was the direct result of no talent what so ever

Yet you can't stay away, even though you've been politely asked. Once again my "talent" has a proven track record. My last build sold for $50,000 before I could even finish it. How many 914's can you fit in your driveway in Tampa to get to that number before your neighbors start asking why you have 914's on your roof? So before I render an opinion on my own "talent" I'll defer to the market on whether I have any skills, and the market says I do. Which is probably why I've already had multiple offers to buy the latest build. But please continue to "try to stay away" and keep coming back for more. In the meantime I'll keep building my car. Tough guy...

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
carr914
post Mar 12 2017, 06:50 AM
Post #629

Racer from Birth

So you have talent to find an idiot to pony up $50,000 for what looks like another pile of (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif)

I have sold 914-6s & Carrera RS's for more than that to people that are more than happy!

Not a tough guy, just stating Facts!

You can go back to your little world where you think you are something, but after seeing your abomination, I don't think you will ever sell anything to a member of this Board.
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Mar 12 2017, 07:27 AM
Post #630

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

I'd really like for this thread to be locked for everyone but the OP. It's a fun build. Read the other pages for your thrill of complaining but let's see this move on.

In other words, SHUT A U PIE HOLE.
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Mar 12 2017, 09:23 AM
Post #631

Advanced Member

QUOTE(bandjoey @ Mar 12 2017, 05:27 AM) *

I'd really like for this thread to be locked for everyone but the OP. It's a fun build. Read the other pages for your thrill of complaining but let's see this move on.

In other words, SHUT A U PIE HOLE.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
I wish guy's like this would just not click on the thread, I don't really understand why they do. I don't build cars to sell them. The last one I took to one show and a guy from Australia saw it and wanted to buy it, and he did. I sell plenty of Porsches, millions of $$$'s in them, but I build cars for fun. Remember that, fun? I thought it would also be fun to share the build and most of you guys agree with me.
So please to all you "facts" guys, please go away. As far as me thinking I'm something, once again I'll let the market speak to that, but if you need a reminder I'm more than happy to send you one of our posters for your garage, so you can remind yourself about what Adam can do, something few can say they've done in this Century...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Mar 12 2017, 11:02 AM
Post #632

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(sechszylinder @ Mar 12 2017, 02:45 AM) *

The reason that original sixes are so pricey is that they were built from the beginning with the six-cylinder motor in them. And there were only a few thousand of them built. And that all contributes to the "cachet" of them being more desirable--especially with the "all original" crowd. Which seems to be the crowd with the money.

Remember that all of the bodies were built at Karmann. The Six bodies were then shipped to Porsche to have all of the bits completed, while the Four bodies were kept at Karmann and completed there.

At that point, I believe that what you have is technically scrap metal, or spare parts. Though your local laws certainly may have something to say about what exactly that is.

--DD
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Mar 12 2017, 03:01 PM
Post #633

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 12 2017, 09:02 AM) *
At that point, I believe that what you have is technically scrap metal, or spare parts. Though your local laws certainly may have something to say about what exactly that is.

I love it, scrap metal. If I had a dollar for every time someone saw something at my place or on my trailer and called it scrap metal. Keep selling them to me at scrap prices and I'll keep taking the abuse.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Mar 12 2017, 04:17 PM
Post #634

You bought another 914?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 865

I love it, scrap metal. If I had a dollar for every time someone saw something at my place or on my trailer and called it scrap metal. Keep selling them to me at scrap prices and I'll keep taking the abuse.

It looks like you cut out the vin on the right fender in order to fit that 904 nose, yes? Hope you kept it, If not you have scrap. No vin = no car. As for the rust you have in your yard, good for you. They all have vin tags yes? If so then not scrap.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Mar 12 2017, 10:58 PM
Post #635

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Mar 12 2017, 02:01 PM) *
Keep selling them to me at scrap prices and I'll keep taking the abuse.

My comment was about what you technically have when you have a car with no VIN. Legally you don't have a car; you have a collection of spare parts or you have scrap metal.

You may have very valuable scrap metal, but it's legally not a car at that point.

...Unless you're in a country where it still is a car, because many laws differ from country to country.

--DD
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Mar 12 2017, 11:10 PM
Post #636

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

I'd be nervous doing that VIN moving and all that here in California, i could see a shop getting raided and chop shop charges being filed.

Hopefully this car never changes ownership and moves across state lines, would hate to see someone busted or harassed.

+Quote Post
Bruce Hinds
post Mar 19 2017, 09:14 PM
Post #637

V-8 madness

Member No.: 7,391
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 12 2017, 09:02 AM) *

QUOTE(sechszylinder @ Mar 12 2017, 02:45 AM) *

The reason that original sixes are so pricey is that they were built from the beginning with the six-cylinder motor in them. And there were only a few thousand of them built. And that all contributes to the "cachet" of them being more desirable--especially with the "all original" crowd. Which seems to be the crowd with the money.

Remember that all of the bodies were built at Karmann. The Six bodies were then shipped to Porsche to have all of the bits completed, while the Four bodies were kept at Karmann and completed there.

--DD

Really, who cares!

If you don't like it move on please.
+Quote Post
john77
post Mar 20 2017, 12:14 AM
Post #638

Member No.: 17,027
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Jan 27 2017, 08:59 PM) *

QUOTE(Mueller @ Jan 27 2017, 01:45 PM) *

Nice to see some progress!

Who made the panels on the alloy 550 body?

My friend spent the last 30 years restoring the 550, I think Joe Stafford did most of the body work. The panels for my build are being done by Wray at Pro Shaper
www.proshaper.com

You can check out the whole build here:
http://forum.porsche356registry.org/viewto...f=4&t=38246

I took Wray's class last March, his skill in amazing. Sounds like your 550 is in great hands.
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Mar 20 2017, 07:29 AM
Post #639

Advanced Member

QUOTE(john77 @ Mar 19 2017, 10:14 PM) *

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Jan 27 2017, 08:59 PM) *

QUOTE(Mueller @ Jan 27 2017, 01:45 PM) *

Nice to see some progress!

Who made the panels on the alloy 550 body?

My friend spent the last 30 years restoring the 550, I think Joe Stafford did most of the body work. The panels for my build are being done by Wray at Pro Shaper
www.proshaper.com

You can check out the whole build here:
http://forum.porsche356registry.org/viewto...f=4&t=38246

I took Wray's class last March, his skill in amazing. Sounds like your 550 is in great hands.

Yeah, I don't think there is anything that Wray can't do, amazing!
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Sep 21 2017, 01:16 PM
Post #640

Advanced Member

Ok, back on it! I got side-tracked because I had a good window of time to get some major work on the 550 project. The rear clamshell came out nicely, but now I'm back on the 904. I got both rear shocks in place, with the new mounts welded in. Look for updates in the coming weeks.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post

52 Pages V « < 30 31 32 33 34 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 12:06 PM