Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

52 Pages V « < 31 32 33 34 35 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914-6/904 project begins
Unobtanium-inc
post Oct 26 2017, 05:54 PM
Post #641

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,276
Region Association: None

Ok, the selling season is quickly ending so I took today and got some real progress made on the front shock towers.
We drilled out the spot welds on the test bed chassis so I have a complete shock tower rack to work with. The front struts from Elephant Racing fit very well and I got in under the wire, literally, see the wire! I ran out of day but at least I know where the shock towers need to go, now I can fab and weld them in. Look for weekly updates now that I have more time.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
burton73
post Oct 26 2017, 08:46 PM
Post #642

burton73

Member No.: 7,414
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Sep 11 2015, 06:52 PM) *

QUOTE(MMW @ Sep 11 2015, 05:29 PM) *

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Sep 11 2015, 09:19 PM) *

QUOTE(Stacks914 @ Sep 8 2015, 06:56 PM) *

1 Truck done, two more to go, I'm getting too old for this...

I thought Big John just pushed them on. Isn't he the one who does all the heavy lifting?

I would never attempt to lift a 911 motor, or carry a gearbox on my shoulder...

How is this man that strong. In my early days lifting, a 911 Eng. was a ball breaker with 2 guys

Bob BAttached Image
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Oct 26 2017, 08:55 PM
Post #643

Advanced Member

QUOTE(burton73 @ Oct 26 2017, 06:46 PM) *

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Sep 11 2015, 06:52 PM) *

QUOTE(MMW @ Sep 11 2015, 05:29 PM) *

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Sep 11 2015, 09:19 PM) *

QUOTE(Stacks914 @ Sep 8 2015, 06:56 PM) *

1 Truck done, two more to go, I'm getting too old for this...

I thought Big John just pushed them on. Isn't he the one who does all the heavy lifting?

I would never attempt to lift a 911 motor, or carry a gearbox on my shoulder...

How is this man that strong. In my early days lifting, a 911 Eng. was a ball breaker with 2 guys

Bob BAttached Image

I've never seen a limit to what Big John can do, I just hope and pray he never turns on my like a pit bull...
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Oct 26 2017, 09:56 PM
Post #644

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068

I now question WHY this build is on a 914 site?
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Oct 26 2017, 10:01 PM
Post #645

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

I'm surprised Elephant didn't recommend narrowing the distance between front shock towers and de-cambering the spindles to slightly improve suspension camber gain while you're in there.

That 550 rear looks great BTW!
+Quote Post
Bruce Hinds
post Oct 26 2017, 10:15 PM
Post #646

V-8 madness

Member No.: 7,391
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Oct 26 2017, 07:56 PM) *

Because it started with a 914. Many of us are interested in it and like following the progress. And . . .
The nice thing is that you don't have to follow it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Oct 26 2017, 11:12 PM
Post #647

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Oct 27 2017, 04:56 PM) *

have been thinking this myself but unsure what to comment.....heaps of (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif) , never done it before,least of all with a piece of string......
Anyway we will see.
+Quote Post
sechszylinder
post Oct 27 2017, 04:51 AM
Post #648

Member No.: 545

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Oct 26 2017, 03:54 PM) *

Ok, the selling season is quickly ending so I took today and got some real progress made on the front shock towers.
We drilled out the spot welds on the test bed chassis so I have a complete shock tower rack to work with. The front struts from Elephant Racing fit very well and I got in under the wire, literally, see the wire! I ran out of day but at least I know where the shock towers need to go, now I can fab and weld them in. Look for weekly updates now that I have more time.

does this work, without fixing the poor leftover on a bench ?

I'm mean, the chassis looses more and more structural integrity while stripping down.
When welding the relocated suspension mount points I would expect to get lots of trouble regarding warping and other issues resulting in a twisted chassis (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

br

Benno
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Oct 27 2017, 05:26 AM
Post #649

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Oct 26 2017, 07:56 PM) *

Why did I put it on a 914 site, well, because it's a 914. Or why did I put it on this site? Well, I've been here since 2006, that's 8 years longer than you, so I think I have just as much right to post pics of my build as anyone else.

I'm going to ask this again, if you don't have anything constructive to contribute to the thread or if this thread bothers you to no end, please just don't click on it or post here. I've worked really hard to weed out the peanut gallery and keep this thread positive. Believe it or not, but a lot of people on this 914 site are very interested in this build.
Or if you have anything smart you want to say to me personally, save it for a face to face. I'm easy to find, I'm at every Porsche swap meet with a big nametag that says ADAM. If not, don't get tough on a keyboard.
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Oct 27 2017, 05:29 AM
Post #650

Advanced Member

QUOTE(sechszylinder @ Oct 27 2017, 02:51 AM) *

I'm mean, the chassis looses more and more structural integrity while stripping down.
When welding the relocated suspension mount points I would expect to get lots of trouble regarding warping and other issues resulting in a twisted chassis (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

br

Benno

Any slight warpage will be more than fixable with the infinitely adjustable suspension. It's an old race car that's been modified to no end already.
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Oct 27 2017, 05:33 AM
Post #651

Advanced Member

QUOTE(porschetub @ Oct 26 2017, 09:12 PM) *

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Oct 27 2017, 04:56 PM) *

have been thinking this myself but unsure what to comment.....heaps of (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif) , never done it before,least of all with a piece of string......
Anyway we will see.

You again, are you going to have a smart comment on everything I post? Last time it was when I invited everyone on this board out to my open house, for a FREE lunch and a day of enjoying Porsches. Now you have snarky comments on my build, please just save it.

I'm going to ask this again, if you don't have anything constructive to contribute to the thread or if this thread bothers you to no end, please just don't click on it or post here. I've worked really hard to weed out the peanut gallery and keep this thread positive. Believe it or not, but a lot of people on this 914 site are very interested in this build.
Or if you have anything smart you want to say to me personally, save it for a face to face. I'm easy to find, I'm at every Porsche swap meet with a big nametag that says ADAM. If not, don't get tough on a keyboard.
+Quote Post
carr914
post Oct 27 2017, 06:06 AM
Post #652

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Oct 27 2017, 07:29 AM) *

br

Benno

Any slight warpage will be more than fixable with the infinitely adjustable suspension. It's an old race car that's been modified to no end already.

Again you show why you have no business working on a car, much less destroying one.

What Benno was saying is without it being built on a Bench, it will be a twisted mess that Suspension doesn't fix. It might mask it till something breaks because of undue stress.

And any Member here is able to post here whether you like it or not!

This was a Car, now it can only be a

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Oct 27 2017, 06:18 AM
Post #653

Advanced Member

QUOTE(carr914 @ Oct 27 2017, 04:06 AM) *

br

Benno

Again you show why you have no business working on a car, much less destroying one.

What Benno was saying is without it being built on a Bench, it will be a twisted mess that Suspension doesn't fix. It might mask it till something breaks because of undue stress.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Oct 27 2017, 07:22 AM
Post #654

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Oct 27 2017, 07:34 AM
Post #655

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Oct 27 2017, 08:18 AM) *

br

Benno

Attached Image

Don't be discouraged.
Please continue.
This is pure technical entertainment.
"Function follows form" right ?
Thank you for sharing.
Rory

+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Oct 27 2017, 08:19 AM
Post #656

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

Here's another kit on your side of the continent. The last picture looks kind of familiar....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1974-Replica-Kit-M...T4I&vxp=mtr
+Quote Post
mb911
post Oct 27 2017, 08:42 AM
Post #657

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Very cool project.. Not sure why all the negativity.. Keep up the good work..
+Quote Post
flippa
post Oct 27 2017, 09:05 AM
Post #658

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,720
Region Association: North East States

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
worn
post Oct 27 2017, 09:23 AM
Post #659

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152
Region Association: Upper MidWest

br

Benno

Attached Image

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Oct 27 2017, 09:27 AM
Post #660

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068

"Why did I put it on a 914 site, well, because it's a 914. Or why did I put it on this site? Well, I've been here since 2006, that's 8 years longer than you, so I think I have just as much right to post pics of my build as anyone else."

Without revealing my age, I've probably owned Porsches longer than you have been alive.

And, it's really NOT a 914. It was. It was an important and historic race car.

You butchered it. I'd say it to your face too.
+Quote Post

52 Pages V « < 31 32 33 34 35 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:48 PM