Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

52 Pages V « < 32 33 34 35 36 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914-6/904 project begins
bretth
post Oct 27 2017, 10:25 AM
Post #661

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,882
Region Association: Southwest Region

Really? Enough of the immaturity, you guys are absolutely ruining this site. Are your lives really that boring to keep coming to this thread? If only we all had the free time to waste like you do.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Oct 27 2017, 01:52 PM
Post #662

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(bretth @ Oct 27 2017, 12:25 PM) *

Really? Enough of the immaturity, you guys are absolutely ruining this site. Are your lives really that boring to keep coming to this thread? If only we all had the free time to waste like you do.

Carry on and do your thing. I remember when the car was for sale and when you bought the car. All those crying about it's history had a chance to buy the car and didn't step up.

Historic? Hardly.

It's a thoroughly thrashed race car that was past it's prime. They made a ton of 914's.... this one won't be missed. Make it yours and get it back on the road with it's new body!
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Oct 27 2017, 02:01 PM
Post #663

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Oct 27 2017, 12:52 PM) *

Carry on and do your thing. I remember when the car was for sale and when you bought the car. All those crying about it's history had a chance to buy the car and didn't step up.

Historic? Hardly.

It's a thoroughly thrashed race car that was past it's prime. They made a ton of 914's.... this one won't be missed. Make it yours and get it back on the road with it's new body!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Nailed it on every point.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Oct 27 2017, 02:24 PM
Post #664

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344

QUOTE(porschetub @ Oct 26 2017, 10:12 PM) *

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Oct 27 2017, 04:56 PM) *

I now question WHY this build is on a 914 site?

have been thinking this myself but unsure what to comment.....heaps of (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif) , never done it before,least of all with a piece of string......
Anyway we will see.

Doubters should read these threads and then stfu:

When does it stop being a 914

People were drooling over this non-914

Nothing left of a 914
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Oct 27 2017, 03:37 PM
Post #665

You bought another 914?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 865
Region Association: None

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Oct 27 2017, 02:52 PM) *

Historic? Hardly.

Some (me included) disagree with your statement Bill. Doesn't matter now as it has been cut to bits. At this point I wish to see a quality build, but so far I haven't seen that either. I fail to see how all these jagged cuts and welds are going to be cleaned up and made to look like it belongs to the 904 body. I hope it turns out great, but not holding my breath.

As for KELTY360 comments about the other threads. In my eyes there was more thought and planning done in that car then this 904 project will every have.

I wish Adam nothing but the best and hope this project turns out like he wanted it to.
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Oct 27 2017, 04:12 PM
Post #666

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Oct 27 2017, 05:37 PM) *

Historic? Hardly.

Some (me included) disagree with your statement Bill. Doesn't matter now as it has been cut to bits. At this point I wish to see a quality build, but so far I haven't seen that either. I fail to see how all these jagged cuts and welds are going to be cleaned up and made to look like it belongs to the 904 body. I hope it turns out great, but not holding my breath.

As for KELTY360 comments about the other threads. In my eyes there was more thought and planning done in that car then this 904 project will every have.

I wish Adam nothing but the best and hope this project turns out like he wanted it to.

Garold...which part do you disagree with? Not trying to start a pissing contest since I don't have a dog in this fight. However, I am genuinely curious where am I wrong on this one?

People who know me know I'm not a fan of cutting up cars for the heck of it and am a big fan of originality. However, I just don't see why there's so much "love" for this thoroughly worn out 914.

As far as build quality I'm not qualified to comment on that. I have never claimed to have any bodywork or fabrication skills. I'll have to see the final result.
+Quote Post
worn
post Oct 27 2017, 04:22 PM
Post #667

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Oct 27 2017, 01:37 PM) *

Historic? Hardly.

While I have been focused on the chassis, perhaps a better question is how easy it is to find one of the 4 cam engines. They seem to be the heart of the project, as the original seems to use a contractor glass body coupled to a ladder frame. That motor on the other hand seems pretty unique. My ignorance is likely showing.
+Quote Post
siverson
post Oct 27 2017, 05:12 PM
Post #668

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 654
Region Association: Southern California

I'm personally happy to see any build thread and just skip it if I don't find it interesting.

Too bad the forum doesn't have a feature where readers could click "never show me this thread again" and likewise posters could have a feature "hide this thread from these users". Seems like it would save these senseless debates as to what should be "allowed" to be posted. And protect those that are offended to see work that they feel is below their super high skills.

-Steve
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Oct 27 2017, 05:36 PM
Post #669

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

There is a website called 914 club and the only thing they talk about there are 914 cars. That might be a good place to go if you don't like this build. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bootyshake.gif)
+Quote Post
davehg
post Oct 27 2017, 05:55 PM
Post #670

Member No.: 21,443

Personally, I'm not really a replica car guy - there's a few replicas that might be fun to own like a Caterham 7 or some of the Pete Brock cars, but I'd rather have something original.

Trouble is, so many original air-cooled Porsches including teeners are getting expensive. My "outlaw" car was also purchased as a race car, and like Unobtanium, I bought it because I couldn't buy a fully completed 3.2 conversion for under $30k unless it was a racer. Mine had a wing (hideous and quickly removed - and unnecessary because the car was used primarily as an auotocrosser where a wing makes no sense). And I wasn't keen on taking a perfectly clean and mint 914 and doing a conversion either - which is why I bought the shell for my current conversion build instead of a clean mint 1.7. I had briefly started with a 914 project that was also set up as a racer - sporting a 2.4 flat six and fiberglass box flares - and also bought cheaply.

I'm reading this thread, and I have to say, unless the car was historically significantly relevant or if Unobtanium had carved up a 914-6 in clean restorable condition to build his 904, I just don't get the pages and pages of outrage. What's really at stake here? (And therein lies the crux of most internet thread outraged replies - the level of outrage is inversely related to the stakes).

And taking aim at his car building prowess when the car is still in the development stages? What are we, like 5 years old now?

To be clear, while I'd not be a buyer of this build were it to be offered, I still enjoy the build thread and always curious to see where people take their 914 projects.

+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Oct 27 2017, 06:16 PM
Post #671

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,276

QUOTE(worn @ Oct 27 2017, 02:22 PM) *

QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Oct 27 2017, 01:37 PM) *

Historic? Hardly.

While I have been focused on the chassis, perhaps a better question is how easy it is to find one of the 4 cam engines. They seem to be the heart of the project, as the original seems to use a contractor glass body coupled to a ladder frame. That motor on the other hand seems pretty unique. My ignorance is likely showing.

The irony of the 904 having a 4-cam is it wasn't designed for one. Butzi designed it to have the "new" six cylinder motor, but it wasn't ready yet so most of the 904's were fitted with the last iteration of the 4-cam, the 587-3. So doing a build and using a 911 six cylinder motor is actually more in line with the original design of the car. Some of the 904's did get the six late in production.
So while the 4-cam engines are available, they will run you way north of $100,000, and then you have to take it to one of the about a dozen guys in the world who know how to work on them. No thanks. I did use a Faux-Cam in my last build, but that was a story for another day.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Oct 27 2017, 06:18 PM
Post #672

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

I hope no one comes to my shop and tells me what I need to do with my stuff. It's one car. If nothing else it makes the other 6's worth fractionally more.
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Oct 27 2017, 06:20 PM
Post #673

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

I hope no one comes to my shop and tells me what I need to do with my stuff. It's one car. If nothing else it makes the other 6's worth fractionally more.
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Oct 27 2017, 06:24 PM
Post #674

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068
Region Association: Southern California

I'm not here to make enemies. I wish Adam the best and I'll bet we would be friends if I lived in upstate New York where he is. I'd still have my opinions, but I'd keep them to myself.

I apologize to you Adam, I think I was born a natural smartass.

No more comments from me on this ______________.
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Oct 27 2017, 06:48 PM
Post #675

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Edward Blume @ Oct 27 2017, 06:19 AM) *

Here's another kit on your side of the continent. The last picture looks kind of familiar....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1974-Replica-Kit-M...T4I&vxp=mtr

That was cool he used the shot from my dad's old car, and he gave some good praise of this site too, which is always cool.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Oct 27 2017, 06:50 PM
Post #676

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

In its current condition, the historic value of this car is irrelevant. That boat has sailed. But as an example, here is a different approach to “a thouroughly thrashed race car that was past its prime.”
A friend of mine, Les Canaday, found this thouroughly thrashed race car and restored it for Adam Carolla. It’s currently up for auction and with 4 plus days to go it’s at $46k. With the reserve, it will have to go North of double that.
Bob Sharp only made a few and PLN sat in the driver seat. How can this car be valued at more than $100k? I mean after all, they made more Z cars than 914’s so...
it’s because of its history.

I tried to broker a deal between Adam and a buyer but the buyer didn’t want to meet Adam’s price. It’s Adam’s car so... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

But don’t tell people that have different opinion to move along. It’s a forum and opinions differ.

I’ll close with a picture of a thouroughly thrashed race car with no historic value. Got $150k? Cause that’s what it will take. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Oct 27 2017, 07:03 PM
Post #677

Advanced Member

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 27 2017, 04:50 PM) *

But don’t tell people that have different opinion to move along. It’s a forum and opinions differ.

Different opinions are fine, but jackass' calling my car a Piece of Shit is not cool. So I will ask those guys to go find somewhere else to vent their anger and frustration. I have just as much right to be here as anyone else, and just as much right to talk about my build. And based on the feedback in the last few pages alone, I'm not the only one who is interested in seeing this car come together.
And as you pointed out I gave everyone on this board a full year to either trade me a running six conversion or buy my car for enough money to buy a six conversion at market value. No one stepped up, so after a year of talking about cutting on the car I began. It was put up or shut up time for all the naysayers, so all that leaves is the shut up part....
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Oct 27 2017, 07:19 PM
Post #678

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Oct 27 2017, 10:03 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 27 2017, 04:50 PM) *

Different opinions are fine, but jackass' calling my car a Piece of Shit is not cool. So I will ask those guys to go find somewhere else to vent their anger and frustration. I have just as much right to be here as anyone else, and just as much right to talk about my build. And based on the feedback in the last few pages alone, I'm not the only one who is interested in seeing this car come together.
And as you pointed out I gave everyone on this board a full year to either trade me a running six conversion or buy my car for enough money to buy a six conversion at market value. No one stepped up, so after a year of talking about cutting on the car I began. It was put up or shut up time for all the naysayers, so all that leaves is the shut up part....

I wasn’t talking about you Adam. Everything you say is true with the exception of the “just as much right” part. We are all here - or not, at Sir Andy’s pleasure. And there are people who aren’t here. There aren’t many rules here but the name calling thing is a big one. I’d edit that comment out if I were you.
For the record, if I’d seen the car was for sale and could have brokered a deal to get the bodywork too, I’d have done what Canaday/Corolla did with the BSR car. But once you bought it, the price to reunite body and chassis was too high for me. Still, nothing wrong with that, it’s your car.
As for the piece of shit comment, laugh it off and prove him wrong. A well done 904/6 would be fun. Not worth what the original car restored would have been, but I think you and I have agreed to disagree. It’s your car! Make it cool!
+Quote Post
jmitro
post Oct 27 2017, 07:45 PM
Post #679

Member No.: 18,986

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 27 2017, 07:50 PM) *

well the problem is, the thread was not started to solicit opinions, simply to show the build. for some unknown reason the same 4 or 5 people keep interjecting their unsolicited negativity.

Adam, the 550 rear clamshell....is it handmade and handformed? that is amazing! that takes a huge amt of talent
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Oct 27 2017, 07:48 PM
Post #680

Advanced Member

QUOTE(jmitro @ Oct 27 2017, 05:45 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 27 2017, 07:50 PM) *

well the problem is, the thread was not started to solicit opinions, simply to show the build. for some unknown reason the same 4 or 5 people keep interjecting their unsolicited negativity.

Adam, the 550 rear clamshell....is it handmade and handformed? that is amazing! that takes a huge amt of talent

All hand formed on the English Wheel. You can read about the whole build here:

http://forum.porsche356registry.org/viewto...f=4&t=38246

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post

52 Pages V « < 32 33 34 35 36 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 08:16 AM