Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

52 Pages V « < 33 34 35 36 37 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914-6/904 project begins
Porschef
post Oct 27 2017, 08:04 PM
Post #681

How you doin'

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,152
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Bruce Hinds @ Oct 27 2017, 12:15 AM) *

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Oct 26 2017, 07:56 PM) *

I now question WHY this build is on a 914 site?

Because it started with a 914. Many of us are interested in it and like following the progress. And . . .
The nice thing is that you don't have to follow it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

100%. 'Nuff said.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Oct 27 2017, 08:22 PM
Post #682

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

There are folks who really dislike this project. They have already made their opinions known, and yet they keep coming back to this thread and ripping on it again and again.

I would suggest that, since you have let us all know how you feel about the project, you take the opportunity in the future to skip this thread entirely. Life's too short to keep looking at things that raise your blood pressure. Besides, we have the news to do that for us!!

--DD
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Oct 27 2017, 09:19 PM
Post #683

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

What is wrong with doing it MY WAY? Isn't that what we are all about?
+Quote Post
Real6
post Oct 27 2017, 10:13 PM
Post #684

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 21,046
Region Association: None

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Oct 27 2017, 08:19 PM) *

I think it's because he completely massacred a 914-6 like the butcher he is?
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Oct 27 2017, 11:10 PM
Post #685

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Time was that kind of behavior got you a month in the cooler. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) stop fucking up his thread. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) vas ist los?
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Oct 28 2017, 12:02 AM
Post #686

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Oct 27 2017, 09:19 PM) *

Besides, this has the opportunity to be pretty damn cool when it's done...
The shop obviously has the skill and the beauty of the 904 is a great design so let this build commence without all of the BS please....
Can't we all just get along?! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
PatrickB
post Oct 28 2017, 04:45 AM
Post #687

Member No.: 20,960
Region Association: Canada

Been hanging around this site for a year or so, first time I've seen this kind of acid attitude here.. not impressed. I figure if I don't own the car I don't have any say in how it gets build. If I do I can do what I want with it. Looking forward to the finished product! Might not be what I would build but that's okay! I bought one that's not what I would have built but I like it anyway. If there's things I want to change then so be it, last time I checked my name is on the ownership. There will eventually be changes to mine that not everyone would do.
+Quote Post
bretth
post Oct 28 2017, 06:23 AM
Post #688

Member No.: 18,882

QUOTE(Real6 @ Oct 28 2017, 12:13 AM) *

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Oct 27 2017, 08:19 PM) *

I think it's because he completely massacred a 914-6 like the butcher he is?

It is a 4 conversion. Get lost.
+Quote Post
gereed75
post Oct 28 2017, 06:43 AM
Post #689

Member No.: 15,674

Patrick, no one will care what you do to your car (assuming it is just some standard old 914) and those who don't like it will keep there mouths shut or give it polite faint praise.

It is like drawing a mustache on the Mona Lisa - do it on a cheap print, no one cares, it is funny. Do it on the original, and most people will be pissed off. Adam, for some inexplicable reason (from what I know he is otherwise a real nice guy) decided to desecrate what is to some people, a Mona Lisa like original race car with significant racing history.

Oh well?!? The rest is, unfortunately, history.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
My 914
post Oct 28 2017, 06:57 AM
Post #690

Casual Member

Member No.: 19,928

I like the Mona Lisa analogy.
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Oct 28 2017, 06:58 AM
Post #691

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

Not liking it and pissing all over yourself was like 2 years ago......

Not that anyone should or does care, I didn't like it back then

....but I'm looking forward to seeing what Adam does with it NOW. I hope to see and admire it it at RR VI and I'll buy Adam a drink while I'm at it.

WE ARE ALL 914 PEOPLE, which makes us the dumbest, most frustrated, stranded by the side of the road, garage and parts storers in the history of car ownership; but I dig 914 people like brothers and appreciate the few sisters out there.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Oct 28 2017, 07:06 AM
Post #692

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,276

QUOTE(gereed75 @ Oct 28 2017, 04:43 AM) *

Patrick, no one will care what you do to your car (assuming it is just some standard old 914) and those who don't like it will keep there mouths shut or give it polite faint praise.

It is like drawing a mustache on the Mona Lisa - do it on a cheap print, no one cares, it is funny. Do it on the original, and most people will be pissed off. Adam, for some inexplicable reason (from what I know he is otherwise a real nice guy) decided to desecrate what is to some people, a Mona Lisa like original race car with significant racing history.

I wonder when people are going to realize that I actually saved this car. It had been on the market for over a decade, no one wanted to buy it. None of the historians who decry my build now. It was last raced in 2007 and was now sitting in a guy's back yard in Miami and after a few years in that climate would have been scrap after you harvested the motor and brakes. But after it came to light that this car had been "found" I offered it up to the community if someone wanted to "save" it, still no takers. I even offered to trade it for a running six conversion, so a group of guys could have banded together, used one of their chassis they had sitting around, put a six in it, and traded it to me. I didn't need nice body work obviously, just no rust. But still no takers.
So had I not bought this car it would have been scraped, lost forever. At least now I will be on the track and at shows telling the history and showing off the new body. Maybe one day everyone will see that. And Brett is right, it is not a real six, but a 4 conversion done by Garretson in the late 70s. It was a follow up car to the 914-6 that won IMSA.
Like I said, everyone had a shot at this car, nobody took it. I guess I should have just set up a private museum and enshrined the car, lost the money I put into buying it, and paid someone on this board $25,000+ for their un-finished six conversion, because I was offered plenty of those.
+Quote Post
gereed75
post Oct 28 2017, 08:18 AM
Post #693

Member No.: 15,674

Adam, it is now lost forever, relative to its history. And I did offer you more than you had in it. At the time, inexplicably, you did not want to consider it.

Hope it comes out. That is the best that can happen now. Good luck with it.
+Quote Post
PatrickB
post Oct 29 2017, 04:25 AM
Post #694

Member No.: 20,960
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(gereed75 @ Oct 28 2017, 08:43 AM) *

Still his car, he gets to do what he wants with it. If I owned the Mona Lisa and wanted to put a mustache on it, my choice...
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Oct 29 2017, 11:27 AM
Post #695

Advanced Member

QUOTE(gereed75 @ Oct 28 2017, 06:18 AM) *

Adam, it is now lost forever, relative to its history. And I did offer you more than you had in it. At the time, inexplicably, you did not want to consider it.

Hope it comes out. That is the best that can happen now. Good luck with it.

I remember your offer being below market, meaning I would sell this car to you, then have to come out of the pocket to buy a six conversion. So it doesn't really matter if you made me an offer for more than I had in it, if I couldn't replace it without spending more money. How is that inexplicable? Seems pretty easy to explain.

This also brings up another good point. When is an old race car no longer it's history? There is a car at my mechanic's shop right now, set up as a 74 RSR. But it's a little more complicated than that. The chassis number is a 65 911 and it was probably raced in that early SWB configuration. It has also raced in Europe by Vic Elford in a different configuration, it was changed a bunch and run as a 935 in the 80s, Brian Redman owned it and raced it with a different set up. If you see the car now without the fiberglass it has been cut, re-shaped, sliced/diced, and bears no resemblance to the car it once was. But, and this is a big but, it is still the same car, it just evolved over time based on the needs/wants of the current owner. So how is what I'm doing any different.
The 914 configuration was completely obsolete, which is why the car was sitting in a guy's backyard rotting, it was the end of the line. It was running SCCA in the GT3 class, against GT3's! I bought it and through my needs/wants am finding new purpose by re-bodying the car and running it again.
So if you were going to restore the 65 911 I mentioned before, under what configuration would you run it, the Vic Elford edition, the Brian Redman edition, the 65 911? Race cars have to evolve to survive.
My car doesn't look anything like it did when it was a stock 914, nor does it look anything like it did when it ran IMSA, when I got it the suspension was completely different, it had a 3.3 motor, a Hewland sequential gearbox, so it bore no resemblance to the car and it's history that all you guys are saying I cut out. But everything that made it Dave Bottoms car or Bob Garretson's car was gone long before I got it. So if that was your bearing on the car's "history" being gone, the ship had long sailed, long before I got it.

But the soul of the car is how I see it. Every race car has the history of what it has been, no matter what is cut and changed along the way. The same sweat soaked into that chassis, the same hope and dreams, the same wins along with the same defeats, all are part of that car's DNA. That isn't changed by me cutting fenders down or moving shock towers. All of these kind of changes have been made many times before on this car. I really hope that everyone can see this like I see it, the car is evolving to survive. Just like hundreds of race cars before it. Like Castro, I will let history judge me.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Oct 29 2017, 01:39 PM
Post #696

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431

This is just begging to be a video series like Project Binky. I'm sure you would be good on camera.
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Oct 29 2017, 02:12 PM
Post #697

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Did Martin Snow own the 911 at one time ?? if so it was first built in mukilteo WA., by Joe Stearns

BTW ..I call my 914-6 customization REDRUM
+Quote Post
AZBanks
post Oct 29 2017, 03:21 PM
Post #698

Member No.: 5,245

Adam, Just be patient. In a few weeks, I'll start posting pictures of the Chalon conversion I am doing with my son and then the screaming, moaning, and complaining will switch to my thread.
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Oct 29 2017, 04:01 PM
Post #699

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Oct 29 2017, 11:39 AM) *

This is just begging to be a video series like Project Binky. I'm sure you would be good on camera.

Nope, nope, nopity, nope. Over the last few years I've turned down two offers for a reality show and one for a documentary. My business works best with being below the radar most of the time and only popping my head up when I can control the narrative 100% through controlled venues like magazine articles. Also, Big John said if a camera ever shows up at the shop he's gone.
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Oct 29 2017, 05:21 PM
Post #700

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Oct 29 2017, 04:01 PM) *

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Oct 29 2017, 11:39 AM) *

Nope, nope, nopity, nope. Over the last few years I've turned down two offers for a reality show and one for a documentary. My business works best with being below the radar most of the time and only popping my head up when I can control the narrative 100% through controlled venues like magazine articles. Also, Big John said if a camera ever shows up at the shop he's gone.

Graveyard Porsches?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post

52 Pages V « < 33 34 35 36 37 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 09:46 PM