Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

52 Pages V « < 34 35 36 37 38 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914-6/904 project begins
Unobtanium-inc
post Oct 29 2017, 05:33 PM
Post #701

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,276
Region Association: None

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Oct 29 2017, 03:21 PM) *

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Oct 29 2017, 04:01 PM) *

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Oct 29 2017, 11:39 AM) *

This is just begging to be a video series like Project Binky. I'm sure you would be good on camera.

Nope, nope, nopity, nope. Over the last few years I've turned down two offers for a reality show and one for a documentary. My business works best with being below the radar most of the time and only popping my head up when I can control the narrative 100% through controlled venues like magazine articles. Also, Big John said if a camera ever shows up at the shop he's gone.

Graveyard Porsches?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

I prefer to think of Unobtanium as the land of re-birth, rather than a graveyard. We tend to find them when they are left for dead, and get them into the hands of people who restore them, like this one found a few months ago, it is now in Poland being restored. And yes, that is dirt up to the steering wheel!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Oct 29 2017, 06:24 PM
Post #702

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

That's similar to what the Graveyard guys do. I applaud your work and theirs - I was playing on your 'cameras in the shop' comment about your guys! I get your decision to keep your nose to the grindstone rather than going to the reality show bit despite the bucks they'd throw your way. You keep on being you and your shop, your mission statement if you will. Resurrect as many as you can! And play with them as you will... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Oct 29 2017, 06:42 PM
Post #703

Advanced Member

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Oct 29 2017, 04:24 PM) *

That's similar to what the Graveyard guys do. I applaud your work and theirs - I was playing on your 'cameras in the shop' comment about your guys! I get your decision to keep your nose to the grindstone rather than going to the reality show bit despite the bucks they'd throw your way. You keep on being you and your shop, your mission statement if you will. Resurrect as many as you can! And play with them as you will... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

The main reason we decided against doing a show was while it would be fun, it would kill our actual business. The guys we buy cars from sell to me to do it quietly, they don't want cameras at their house, showing off their collection. They just want to quietly sell 2-3 cars. Also, can you imagine, the rest of my life I would go to buy a car and the seller would be like, "Hey, it's the TV guy!" and the price would be double. Nope, a few seasons of TV would not be worth throwing a fun and profitable business down the toilet.
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Oct 29 2017, 07:05 PM
Post #704

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Oct 29 2017, 03:01 PM) *

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Oct 29 2017, 11:39 AM) *

This is just begging to be a video series like Project Binky. I'm sure you would be good on camera.

Nope, nope, nopity, nope. Over the last few years I've turned down two offers for a reality show and one for a documentary. My business works best with being below the radar most of the time and only popping my head up when I can control the narrative 100% through controlled venues like magazine articles. Also, Big John said if a camera ever shows up at the shop he's gone.

That's what Project Binky is.... 2 humorous British dudes with incredible fab skills building a rally car from a rusty Mini body and a wrecked Toyota Celica awd drivetrain in the corner of their shop between paying jobs.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Oct 30 2017, 11:15 AM
Post #705

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(AZBanks @ Oct 29 2017, 02:21 PM) *

Adam, Just be patient. In a few weeks, I'll start posting pictures of the Chalon conversion I am doing with my son and then the screaming, moaning, and complaining will switch to my thread.

Oh yay, something new to complain about!!! I can't wait!

Oh, then I can start complaining about the complainers, that will be fun for ages! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

--DD
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Dec 28 2017, 09:10 PM
Post #706

Advanced Member

Now that winter has officially sunk in, temps in the single digits and below, I figured I can really make some headway on this project. It is time to start securing the front suspension now that I have lowered the shock towers. I've been avoiding this job because it's pretty daunting, but I started today with the two outer pieces.
My first piece didn't come out like I wanted it but would probably do the job, while my second piece came out pretty nice. The 2nd piece looking so nice got me to re-do the first piece, which is getting there, but I ran out of day.
So far so good.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Dec 29 2017, 04:42 PM
Post #707

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

Love the craftsmanship. Keep it coming (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Blue6
post Dec 29 2017, 04:52 PM
Post #708

Member No.: 16,470
Region Association: Southern California

I can't believe you took that perfectly good flat metal and cut and bent it all to hell. What a hack. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Dec 29 2017, 06:37 PM
Post #709

Advanced Member

I didn't get as far as I wanted today, I dis-carded the re-done piece and started on a 3rd piece, which came out ok. I got started on making the middle piece but ran out of day. Luckily the weather is supposed to be very cold next week to, so plenty of time to get the pellet stove humming and the hammers swinging.

Happy New Year!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Dec 31 2017, 02:55 PM
Post #710

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176

Good thing you had the English wheel !
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Dec 31 2017, 05:59 PM
Post #711

Advanced Member

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Dec 31 2017, 12:55 PM) *

Rory-
It's amazing what you can do with an English Wheel. You should come out this weekend to Pro Shaper and help us work on the aluminum 550, advanced metal shaping indeed!

www.proshaper.com

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
euro911
post Dec 31 2017, 07:55 PM
Post #712

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Blue6 @ Dec 29 2017, 02:52 PM) *
I can't believe you took that perfectly good flat metal and cut and bent it all to hell. What a hack. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) Funny, Dave.

I hadn't been on the board a lot recently, so just catching up on your project, Adam. Keep cracking away at it.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Dec 31 2017, 08:30 PM
Post #713

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Dec 31 2017, 06:59 PM) *

Rory-
It's amazing what you can do with an English Wheel. You should come out this weekend to Pro Shaper and help us work on the aluminum 550, advanced metal shaping indeed!

www.proshaper.com

It's amazing what THEY can do can do with an English wheel.
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Dec 31 2017, 08:39 PM
Post #714

Advanced Member

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Dec 31 2017, 06:30 PM) *

Rory-

www.proshaper.com

Rory-
I understand you're older and your eyesight might be failing you some, but the picture I posted was me, shaping the metal that went into that 550 tail that was also pictured. And if you want to come out this weekend and brave the cold New England freeze you can work side by side with me shaping metal, I'll give you a crash course, because I'm a nice guy.
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Jan 1 2018, 03:24 PM
Post #715

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Dec 31 2017, 09:39 PM) *

Rory-

www.proshaper.com

Rory-
I understand you're older and your eyesight might be failing you some, but the picture I posted was me, shaping the metal that went into that 550 tail that was also pictured. And if you want to come out this weekend and brave the cold New England freeze you can work side by side with me shaping metal, I'll give you a crash course, because I'm a nice guy.

Yeah, I'm older and I do use readers but anyone can see that the parts you made for the destroyed 914 racer are junk. I'd be embarrassed to display that lack of
skill. To be proud of them and to claim that YOU formed any compound curve aluminum part for the Spyder is utterly contradictory. The pictures do tell the story.
I'm saying this as politely as I can
PS I love the cold. I was skiing just last weekend north of Montreal.
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Jan 1 2018, 07:09 PM
Post #716

Advanced Member

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jan 1 2018, 01:24 PM) *

Rory-

www.proshaper.com

Rory-

Yeah, I'm older and I do use readers but anyone can see that the parts you made for the destroyed 914 racer are junk. I'd be embarrassed to display that lack of
skill. To be proud of them and to claim that YOU formed any compound curve aluminum part for the Spyder is utterly contradictory. The pictures do tell the story.

Rory-
I guess at this point I've extended the invitation to join us for metal fun, so your only choices are to man up, show up, or shut up. You choose.
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Jan 1 2018, 07:40 PM
Post #717

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

i dont get it ,,,one piece panel , route lines through with grommets...But Thats Me
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Jan 1 2018, 10:00 PM
Post #718

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Jan 1 2018, 08:09 PM) *

Rory-

www.proshaper.com

Rory-

Rory-
I guess at this point I've extended the invitation to join us for metal fun, so your only choices are to man up, show up, or shut up. You choose.

Thank you for the invitation. I'll have to decline.
I have no interest in learning that skill.
Perhaps YOU could you provide a 60 minute demonstration on YouTube ?
Maybe whip up a taillight section real quick ?
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Jan 1 2018, 10:05 PM
Post #719

Advanced Member

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jan 1 2018, 08:00 PM) *

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Jan 1 2018, 08:09 PM) *

Rory-

www.proshaper.com

Rory-

Rory-

Thank you for the invitation. I'll have to decline.
I have no interest in learning that skill.
Perhaps YOU could you provide a 60 minute demonstration on YouTube ?
Maybe whip up a taillight section real quick ?

Sorry, the only thing I do on youtube is help my 9 year daughter put up funny videos.
But I will take a bunch of pics and update everyone on the progress on the 550.
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Jan 12 2018, 08:33 PM
Post #720

Advanced Member

Made some progress today finished out all the front cowl metal. I also got to try out my new metal brake, that was cool. Ran out of day when a guy came to pick up a 911 but happy with the progress I made.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post

52 Pages V « < 34 35 36 37 38 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 07:56 AM