Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

52 Pages V « < 36 37 38 39 40 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914-6/904 project begins
Unobtanium-inc
post Mar 4 2018, 01:28 PM
Post #741

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,276
Region Association: None

QUOTE(bretth @ Mar 4 2018, 10:37 AM) *

Nice! was near your shop yesterday wondering if you were (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

Nope, yesterday I was shoveling, and then shoveling some more, if only snow was $$$!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Mar 8 2018, 02:18 PM
Post #742

Advanced Member

As Ice Cube would say, "today was a good day!"

I started with the middle section of the cowl under the suspension beam. It went in almost perfectly, a little tweeking, but I was happy with the result. I then went to the passenger side piece and it was all wrong, I messed with it for about an hour and finally tossed it and made another, which I was much happier with. The driver's side piece needed a little finishing but was un-eventful. I got all three pieces welded in and it's strong. I plan on doing more metal on the back side and in the corners to make sure the strength is there, but I am happy with the result today.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Mar 15 2018, 01:50 PM
Post #743

Advanced Member

Today was very productive. I welded up the front cowl panel, and then made and welded up a backside panel. The fit was very nice and I have to say after welding on rusty 50 year old 356's all week, welding newer steel to brand new steel was wonderful. It was flowing so nice it was laying caulk.
A good day indeed!
Tomorrow, back to 356's, a 63 Super 90 Coupe.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Mar 18 2018, 05:20 PM
Post #744

Advanced Member

My wife was having friend's over today so I got to slip away to the shop. It doesn't look like much but this piece curved in about 5 different directions, so it was a lot of fitting, banging, fitting, wheeling, fitting, banging, and finally welding it in.
The other piece of good news is a I talked to a friend of mine who lives behind a race track and he said I can bring the car to his place, he will help me set up all the suspension (corner balancing, toe-in, camber, etc.) and then we could run it on the track. I'm still several months out from this but it's nice to know I can really sort it on the track when the time comes.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Mar 18 2018, 06:53 PM
Post #745

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

Adam,
Clean up the metal before you weld.
It may help to get better welds.
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Mar 18 2018, 07:16 PM
Post #746

Advanced Member

QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 18 2018, 04:53 PM) *

Adam,
Clean up the metal before you weld.
It may help to get better welds.

Rich, thanks for the tip.
I think a lot of that was coming through from the backside, I cleaned the surface but I was welding deep and it finds contaminates and draws them to the surface. The welding was also hard because on the back side I had to do most of it upside down and at funny angles. The front part of the cowl came out much cleaner. But thanks for looking everything over.
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Mar 22 2018, 10:00 PM
Post #747

Advanced Member

Sorry everybody, no 904 work this week, I headed out to MA to check on my 356 paint job and spent the rest of the day shaping 550 metal. The wire form is almost done, much easier than a wooden buck.
904 updates next week!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Mar 22 2018, 10:04 PM
Post #748

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Mar 22 2018, 09:00 PM) *
Sorry everybody, no 904 work this week, I headed out to MA to check on my 356 paint job

That dude should donate his lungs to a museum, i'm sure that would make for an interesting display ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)
+Quote Post
mb911
post Mar 28 2018, 06:41 AM
Post #749

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Adam,
. god bless you for saving all those cars and helping them to get into the right hands.

Regarding this build I feel like I am being catfished here. The skill sets being talked about are not being translated and I am one that is in the know so I can speak to quality of fab.
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Mar 28 2018, 06:48 AM
Post #750

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 28 2018, 05:41 AM) *

Adam,
. god bless you for saving all those cars and helping them to get into the right hands.

Regarding this build I feel like I am being catfished here. The skill sets being talked about are not being translated and I am one that is in the know so I can speak to quality of fab.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Going to work is a form of male enhancement, daily, in that shop.

We've had an unwritten rule around here for a long time, and that is support people's dreams with their 914s, it's their dream, not yours. Safety is another issue, fire away.
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Mar 28 2018, 06:50 AM
Post #751

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

Interesting looking drums on the 356... and knock offs?
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Mar 28 2018, 08:45 AM
Post #752

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241
Region Association: Northern California

Adam - the 550 work looks like it's happening at Wray Schelin's place?
I'll be there next week for his 4-day coach building course (Fri-Mon).
Any chance you'll be stopping by?
Chris
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Mar 28 2018, 12:26 PM
Post #753

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Edward Blume @ Mar 28 2018, 04:50 AM) *

Interesting looking drums on the 356... and knock offs?

Yes, Rudge knock off wheels. People tend to knock them, but if they were good enough for Steve McQueen, they're good enough for me.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Mar 28 2018, 12:32 PM
Post #754

Advanced Member

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Mar 28 2018, 06:45 AM) *

Adam - the 550 work looks like it's happening at Wray Schelin's place?
I'll be there next week for his 4-day coach building course (Fri-Mon).
Any chance you'll be stopping by?
Chris

Yes, at Wray's place. The wire frame is finished so I'll be there a lot and maybe next weekend, hope to see you there!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
mbseto
post Mar 28 2018, 02:05 PM
Post #755

Member No.: 17,743
Region Association: North East States

Those wire frames are really cool. When I was a kid it was a dream of mine to be able to design and fabricate a car body. Had no idea how it could be done and was surrounded by people that thought only a big car company could do it. By the time I heard about techniques like this, I was well on my way to becoming a cubicalized engineer. Finally got the resources to get into the game a little, even if it was a bit late. Watching this process still fascinates me. I'm enjoying this thread.
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Mar 28 2018, 03:02 PM
Post #756

Advanced Member

QUOTE(mbseto @ Mar 28 2018, 12:05 PM) *

Those wire frames are really cool. When I was a kid it was a dream of mine to be able to design and fabricate a car body. Had no idea how it could be done and was surrounded by people that thought only a big car company could do it. By the time I heard about techniques like this, I was well on my way to becoming a cubicalized engineer. Finally got the resources to get into the game a little, even if it was a bit late. Watching this process still fascinates me. I'm enjoying this thread.

You should take Wray's class, it almost life changing. You start looking at cars and saying, "I can build that!"

www.proshaper.com
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 28 2018, 03:41 PM
Post #757

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Catfished (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Mar 28 2018, 05:52 PM
Post #758

Advanced Member

QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 28 2018, 04:41 AM) *

Adam,

Catfished? Not really sure what that means, but if reading this thread is making you feel funny inside, maybe you should not click on it.
If I had to guess what you're trying to say it's you saying your skills are far superior to mine. Maybe, I don't know your skills. But if they are the adult thing to do here would be to maybe offer pointers, or suggest pitfalls to avoid, I don't know, really anything that might help a fellow car guy in his build. That's what forum's are about, right? Or maybe you guys can just take some jabs, like real internet tough guys, that would be really adult.

Seriously, how many times do I have to say this, if you don't like my build, don't like me, or don't like my ideas, don't click on the thread.

As far as the quality of the work being done on the 914, I can tell you it's well on par with all the work that has already been done to the car, in fact in many cases my work goes far beyond the quality that is already evident on the car. If anyone has constructive criticism on how I can improve something, like some people on this thread have done, I'm all about it, happy to learn, discuss methods, ideas, etc. But if you're just going to heckle, please go find another thread. After 60,000 views and 12 years on this board I think I and this thread have earned that. Also, I'm showing the work raw, as it's being done, end of the day, I could clean everything up and only show certain shots, but what's the point in that?
+Quote Post
mb911
post Mar 28 2018, 07:16 PM
Post #759

914 Guru

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Mar 28 2018, 03:52 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 28 2018, 04:41 AM) *

Adam,

Catfished? Not really sure what that means, but if reading this thread is making you feel funny inside, maybe you should not click on it.
If I had to guess what you're trying to say it's you saying your skills are far superior to mine. Maybe, I don't know your skills. But if they are the adult thing to do here would be to maybe offer pointers, or suggest pitfalls to avoid, I don't know, really anything that might help a fellow car guy in his build. That's what forum's are about, right? Or maybe you guys can just take some jabs, like real internet tough guys, that would be really adult.

Seriously, how many times do I have to say this, if you don't like my build, don't like me, or don't like my ideas, don't click on the thread.

As far as the quality of the work being done on the 914, I can tell you it's well on par with all the work that has already been done to the car, in fact in many cases my work goes far beyond the quality that is already evident on the car. If anyone has constructive criticism on how I can improve something, like some people on this thread have done, I'm all about it, happy to learn, discuss methods, ideas, etc. But if you're just going to heckle, please go find another thread. After 60,000 views and 12 years on this board I think I and this thread have earned that. Also, I'm showing the work raw, as it's being done, end of the day, I could clean everything up and only show certain shots, but what's the point in that?

Adam I have no ill feelings towards you . In fact I admire what you do and how you find these fantastic cars. I just know two things that I term catfishing (or jobbing us is another term for this). The work I think you are saying you do on the 550 and wire fixtures is not translating in welding and fabrication on the 914.. I have taught welding and fabrication at college level for 18 years now and have run 2 successful business's fabricating parts for 911s, 356s, 912s, 914s and I see you operate and English wheel but then I see you make a template of a part you want to put on the 914. You then "fab " it up and proceed to" weld" the panel in place. The quality levels of the 2 different projects are 2 different ends of the spectrum and I struggle to see how they were done by the same guy..

Now if I miss read this my apologies. I can tell you this much I do respect you for what you do immensely and would gladly buy you lunch or a drink if we were ever to meet up. Its just that when we talk fabrication /welding sometimes I can't bite my tongue.

Carry on I will be happy to watch your project and won't comment just looking for clarification..

+Quote Post
mb911
post Mar 28 2018, 07:20 PM
Post #760

914 Guru

One last thing my number is in my signature I would be happy to talk with you , give pointers, etc.. My biggest critic is proper prep of the weld areas, proper but joints, cut materials with plasma or oxy torch as a last resort and use shear and cut off wheels as standard.

I am absolutely sincere in my offer. Give me a call.
+Quote Post

52 Pages V « < 36 37 38 39 40 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 11:40 AM