Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

52 Pages V « < 37 38 39 40 41 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914-6/904 project begins
Unobtanium-inc
post Mar 28 2018, 07:30 PM
Post #761

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,276
Region Association: None

QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 28 2018, 05:20 PM) *

One last thing my number is in my signature I would be happy to talk with you , give pointers, etc.. My biggest critic is proper prep of the weld areas, proper but joints, cut materials with plasma or oxy torch as a last resort and use shear and cut off wheels as standard.

I am absolutely sincere in my offer. Give me a call.

Thanks for the tip, I use either air shears or a cut off wheel, I don't have a plasma cutter. I do need to find a better way to prep some of the hard to reach spots. I've been using a die grinder with a 3" disc, but my body guy showed me one of his tools, I might have to get one. They are pricey, but good tools always are.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mb911
post Mar 28 2018, 07:48 PM
Post #762

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Dyna file or the likes is whats pictured. The 4-1/2" hand grinder with a.045 cut off wheel works really well.. The debur with the dyna file.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Mar 28 2018, 07:49 PM
Post #763

914 Guru

Also a 90 degree angle grinder with a roloc setup for sanding discs, scotch brites work awesome.
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Mar 28 2018, 08:01 PM
Post #764

Advanced Member

QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 28 2018, 05:49 PM) *

Also a 90 degree angle grinder with a roloc setup for sanding discs, scotch brites work awesome.

Thanks!
+Quote Post
Bruce Hinds
post Mar 29 2018, 09:31 AM
Post #765

V-8 madness

Member No.: 7,391
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Plenty of us are enjoying the build Adam, don't let them bring you down to their level on this thread. Hard to ignore I know, but you're time is better spent in the shop. It seems people like that will just try to keep the banter going . . . Or, you could get some enjoyment out of this if you're like me. "What can I cut next to really piss someone off?"
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Mar 29 2018, 09:42 AM
Post #766

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Well said Adam. The negative responses to your thread are one of the most disappointing things I've seen on 914World. As a whole, when someone takes on a massive project this group is supportive and objective; offering constructive criticism and encouragement. In your case you've been treated rudely for further modifying an already heavily modified car which had apparently outlived it's usefulness...unless you were expected to restore it to some previous level of modification.

Generally, the prevailing attitude is: "it's your car, do what you want with it." But with you, there is a certain segment of '914 Purists'....now there's an oxymoron....who can't stand seeing someone trying to follow an audacious vision. Maybe I'm simple minded, but I don't get the vituperation against another member who has been forthright in his intentions from the start. I think you've been very patient with the naysayers in spite of their repeated rude, non-constructive behavior towards you personally.....on your own thread. In my own humble opinion, the adults need to check their attitudes at the door or as you suggest, start their own bashing thread. The children should just STFU.

I hope you'll continue to ignore the a-holes among us and persevere. You may even learn to be a better welder.....not that I have any right to critique. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
bretth
post Mar 29 2018, 10:00 AM
Post #767

Member No.: 18,882
Region Association: Southwest Region

I wish an admin could come in and clean the garbage out of this thread. It has been done on 914 world before but it appears only some personal favorites are afforded this allowance. I know now that I will never post a build thread on here and I am sure there are others who feel the same. Bunch of adult babies ruining what this site used to be.

Brett
+Quote Post
simonjb
post Mar 29 2018, 10:28 AM
Post #768

KiwiMan

Member No.: 20,505
Region Association: North East States

I love this forum - and I am relatively new here - but its a shame about all these negative posts. Remember what your Mother said (or should have said) - if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all. It does nothing but cause grief.

Adam, keep posting. Its fun to see and read.
+Quote Post
Jonathan Livesay
post Mar 29 2018, 11:09 AM
Post #769

Member No.: 11,461

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Mar 29 2018, 11:09 AM
Post #770

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

Looks like this thread is ready for a cleanup but i'm currently at work and have no time to weed through 39(!) pages.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Mar 29 2018, 11:30 AM
Post #771

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(bretth @ Mar 29 2018, 10:00 AM) *

I know now that I will never post a build thread on here and I am sure there are others who feel the same.

I vowed to stay out of this thread but this comment hits hard and I feel I need to chime in. Honestly, I get where both sides are coming from and confess that I've been confused here myself. But I strongly agree that constructive criticism is what this is all about and putting everything else aside, Adam has responded well when it is offered.

To think this thread might dissuade others from staring there own build thread is a travesty. I've been here less than a year and have come to regard my build thread as one of the most important tools I have for my restoration. It is equally important as is my welder, grinder, and body hammer IMHO. And the build thread is a two-way street. It helps both the person doing the build and the many who read it. There is no way I'd have gotten as far on my build as I have without the many build threads that went before, or the advice I've received.

I have my own opinions here, but what's done is done. The race car is dead. It seems the best possible outcome going forward is to help Adam create a kick ass 904 tribute. If not for this project, do it to encourage other people to share their work! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
johnhora
post Mar 29 2018, 11:49 AM
Post #772

Member No.: 107

I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself.
Ferdinand Porsche

Adam....Keep building Brother!

+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Mar 29 2018, 01:40 PM
Post #773

Advanced Member

Ok, so I'm going to go with the Aye's won, and the Nay's can....

With that over, let's get back to the build.
After taking the criticism from two other members about the dirty welds I went back and wanted to see what might have changed in my procedure and or materials. I remembered I hate changed steel suppliers recently. So while my old flat steel had a light coating that was weld through, the new stuff did not. if you look at the cleaned photo you can see where a pretty thick coating came off. Live and learn. I also added some more tools to the cleaning arsenal.
The piece went in really well and fit nicely. The welds came out much cleaner. It was still tricky towards the bottom, welding at funny angles and upside down, but I was happy with the results.
Hopefully I can make some time tomorrow too.

And thanks to everyone for your support on the build, it really means a lot. And thanks again to Rich and Ben for pointing out the dirty welds, aren't forums great!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Mar 29 2018, 02:05 PM
Post #774

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241
Region Association: Northern California

Adam - Some observations from the West Coast...

The original sheet metal you used looks to be hot rolled, a process that leaves that nasty coating, is messy to weld, etc. You want cold rolled.

What gauge material are you using? It could be the pics but it looks far thicker than the chassis material. I'd think you'd want 18ga.

When adding those panels to replace/reinforce the frunk firewall, if you're not going to butt weld them and will be lap welding as you are, you might consider spot welding them in.
I'd be willing to bet that with the full seam welds you're using, you're moving the chassis around in ways you may not want. At the very least, I'd add bracing to prevent things moving.

You could also add some beading to give the panels some section to add stiffness, especially in any of the larger, flat panels.

Another option would be to add closed sections (folded sheet metal or square tube, maybe?) to form a more suitable opening that you'd then close with the sheet metal. You may find you can work with smaller, simpler pieces to address the more complex areas and that'll make it easier, overall, to complete a particular area.

If one is better at metal forming, then make fewer pieces, if one is better at welding, make more pieces and weld them together. In the end, it's essentially the same result.
(I'm living this very thing as I tackle my custom fire wall.)

Hope you find this useful.

Maybe see you next week at Wray's.
Chris
+Quote Post
mb911
post Mar 29 2018, 03:23 PM
Post #775

914 Guru

Adam,

What is your welder setup ? Wire diameter, brand and model? What welding helmet are you using again? This will help me guide you a but more. Looks like your current setup maybe askew.. If we can help with that then the rest falls into place a bit more..

One of my favorite new welding helmets is the miller t94. It has good off welding vision to allow for good placement of the electrode and turns up or down in half shades.

Another point would be that for your panels intermittent welds maybe all thats needed so a full seem weld may not be needed. I would lay out where the welds need to go about every 1.5" for a 3/4" bead. This will make the parts plenty strong and save time on clean up..
+Quote Post
tomeric914
post Mar 29 2018, 04:55 PM
Post #776

One Lap of America in a 914!

Member No.: 9,101

QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 29 2018, 04:23 PM) *

Another point would be that for your panels intermittent welds maybe all that's needed so a full seem weld may not be needed. I would lay out where the welds need to go about every 1.5" for a 3/4" bead. This will make the parts plenty strong and save time on clean up..

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Also slow down your wire feed and maybe bump the voltage up a notch. It should sound like bacon frying when the speed and voltage are right and the welds should lay fairly flat.

Other factors that will affect your welds are how far you're away and whether you're pushing or pulling the electrode.

I did a quick search and found this video on wire speed and voltage that isn't half bad if you've got a few minutes (don't be fooled by the goofy still image, it's legit):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZuq4XQTHVs

From a material perspective, it looks like you might have picked up some black iron which needs a lot of cleaning to weld right as you have discovered.

With the settings right, you'll have a lot less grinding to do when it's all done.

Lastly, I'm not sure where your shop is but am willing to help if you're not far away. I'm located near Syracuse.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Mar 29 2018, 05:21 PM
Post #777

914 Guru

Remember voltage is = to gears you can only go so slow/ fast in each gear without changing to another gear to faster or slower

Wirespeed is = to gas pedal. It will only go so fast until you run out of gear and you need again shift gears

They should be paired. The biggest mistake people make is think that to make a weld hotter is to turn the voltage up without knowing that voltage is potential amperage and wire speed is actual amperage= heat.
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Mar 29 2018, 05:42 PM
Post #778

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659

QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Mar 29 2018, 05:55 PM) *

I did a quick search and found this video on wire speed and voltage that isn't half bad if you've got a few minutes (don't be fooled by the goofy still image, it's legit):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZuq4XQTHVs

That guy's (Jody) podcast is really good, as are his videos. Definitely recommended.

I would switch to a flap disc on your grinder for cleanup. Or even a knotted wire wheel. Those cup brushes suck IMO. I've never liked how they seem to unbalance the grinder either.

Going to join Chris here and say your metal is way heavier than needed as well. From this view it looks ~0.100" thick; you would likely be just fine with 0.050".
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Mar 30 2018, 08:48 AM
Post #779

Advanced Member

To answer everyone's question about my welding setup. I'm using a Millermatic 135. I normally have the settings at about 33 for wire speed and around 3 for voltage. I have to lower everything when I'm welding on really rusty 356's, too much just blows holes in the side of a car. My welding helmet is your standard Northern Tool auto-darkening helmet, not a big fan of the flames. The metal I'm using is 16 gauge, which is what I normally use.

Any advise on any of these I am all ears. Anything I can do to improve my process would be great and I know there is a lot of talent on this board.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
mb911
post Mar 30 2018, 08:59 AM
Post #780

914 Guru

16ga is too think and it is hot rolled which makes your job harder. What is your wire diameter?
+Quote Post

52 Pages V « < 37 38 39 40 41 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 10:38 AM