Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Type IV plenum intake manifold questions..., Why single and not double like the 911 motor?
Mueller
post Mar 14 2015, 10:28 AM
Post #1

914 Freak!

Group: Members
Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

Has anyone made a dual plenum like used on the 911 engines for a Type IV?

Attached Image
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Bob L.
post Mar 14 2015, 10:44 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 13,411
Region Association: Southwest Region

Someone here has played around with it. I forget who. IIRC they got a few extra HP but didn't think it was worth pursuing.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Mar 14 2015, 11:03 AM
Post #3

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

Maybe it's because the 911 unit is engineered for flow, reverb, resonant frequency, power and emissions.

When the 914 was built the technology was limited. To build one without the R&D mentioned above could be a waste of time and loss of power.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Mar 14 2015, 05:01 PM
Post #4

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

I played with the design, it would work but only at higher power levels.
But then at higher power levels it would be a down grade from ITB's, but it may have better tunability.
Of course we are also talking aftermarket FI.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Mar 14 2015, 05:04 PM
Post #5

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

I recall seeing a race car running two full Djet setups with two plenum a and two throttle bodies etc, the plenums are welded together
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Mar 14 2015, 05:11 PM
Post #6

that's what I do!

QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 14 2015, 07:04 PM) *

I recall seeing a race car running two full Djet setups with two plenum a and two throttle bodies etc, the plenums are welded together

Maybe oldschool with D-jets, but why would you do this with modern programmable FI?

The only reason to do this over ITB's is for a more stable MAP sensor signal with the single TB intake.
It's why Porsche did it.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Mar 14 2015, 05:22 PM
Post #7

that's what I do!

Here.... I'll save you a shitload of research (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=126654
+Quote Post
type47
post Mar 14 2015, 09:20 PM
Post #8

Viermeister

Member No.: 994
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Tangerine Racing system as seen at Hershey
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Mar 14 2015, 10:28 PM
Post #9

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

When I've gone this way the result was an even more difficult to tune engine that was much more picky about cam specs than any other way. I've always had better luck with twin ITBs over a central plenum or a pair of localized plenums.

Only once has this made more power here and that was a 2.6L engine for a square back where I was able to get 80% of the engine's displacement into a pair of plenums. It wasn't worth the 6Hp that it made.

This post has been edited by Jake Raby: Mar 14 2015, 10:29 PM
+Quote Post
toon1
post Mar 14 2015, 10:28 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 5,022

Mike, look up Hemholtz resinator and supercar intakes.

It's easily do able....I plan on doing one. My plan is to do dual TB,s. If I don't do 2 I still think you can make a better system for 1 TB.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Mar 15 2015, 07:05 AM
Post #11

that's what I do!

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Mar 15 2015, 12:28 AM) *

When I've gone this way the result was an even more difficult to tune engine that was much more picky about cam specs than any other way. I've always had better luck with twin ITBs over a central plenum or a pair of localized plenums.

Only once has this made more power here and that was a 2.6L engine for a square back where I was able to get 80% of the engine's displacement into a pair of plenums. It wasn't worth the 6Hp that it made.

Your statement doesn't explain much.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
As far as the plenums being 80% that would be about the size of a connecting tube and two 1-quart (1 litre) oil bottles (or for a single plenum one 2-litre bottle).

Here's what it takes to fab a single plenum intake
http://www.sdsefi.com/air12.html

Simple search may give you some ideas
https://www.google.ca/search?q=EG33+intake+...anifold+project
+Quote Post
toon1
post Mar 15 2015, 09:24 AM
Post #12

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Mar 14 2015, 09:28 PM) *

My plan was to do ITB's with two plenums and longer runners for better low end performance. The trick would be to get the optimum runner length. That would be a lot of dyno time. I would suspect that the engineers designed the length of the stock runners close to optimal for a daily driver.

I don't see much benefit to dual TB,s on a single plenum (for a daily driver). Tip in tuning would be hard to get correct. Progressive, dual TB,s would be kinda neat to try. Have the second TB start opening at say 3K rpm.

Even if you were to stay with a single TB and single plenum. I think there is a lot of room for improvement on the stock system.

+Quote Post
Mueller
post Mar 15 2015, 09:41 AM
Post #13

914 Freak!

If you notice on the 911 engine, they are using individual throttle plates for each cylinder, that is from a Singer 911, and I'm guessing not a stock or factory setup.(?)

Looking at the Subaru stuff, I found some interesting things:

Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
toon1
post Mar 15 2015, 09:45 AM
Post #14

There is some cool stuff out there. I just seen a single plenum , short runner LS intake that had a angles TB so the air flow doesn't favor the front cylinders. Thought that was interesting
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Mar 15 2015, 11:33 AM
Post #15

914 Freak!

QUOTE(toon1 @ Mar 15 2015, 08:45 AM) *

There is some cool stuff out there. I just seen a single plenum , short runner LS intake that had a angles TB so the air flow doesn't favor the front cylinders. Thought that was interesting

I've seen one company selling parts for the newer watercooled Porsches that have dimples cast into the plenum center section, will have to try and find a picture.

+Quote Post
r_towle
post Mar 15 2015, 12:57 PM
Post #16

Custom Member

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Mar 14 2015, 07:11 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 14 2015, 07:04 PM) *

Maybe oldschool with D-jets, but why would you do this with modern programmable FI?

The only reason to do this over ITB's is for a more stable MAP sensor signal with the single TB intake.
It's why Porsche did it.

The one I saw, I think DD know about it, but it was a long time ago, and posted here, was two full DJet setups to make a larger motor work.
Personally I think it was a cool thing to try, but doing it today I would just go with a single larger throttle body, and modern EFI
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Mar 15 2015, 01:04 PM
Post #17

Custom Member

A bit confused on the pictures Mike.

My 911 (3.2 stock) uses one large throttle plate with the dual plenum shape, but it does not use individual throttle plates for each cylinder, and not sure what that might buy you honestly.

In my opinion, there are enough other parameters to deal with that adding in individual cylinder tuning just makes it harder....

I think there is a better way to make the motor deliver everything it can, and that would be good head design, proper valve train setup and lots of testing to make sure all cylinders are performing at the same level.

Tuning to match might creat some bad stress on the crank and make the motor run poorly due to mis matched power from each cylinder. I would rather sacrifice some power and tune down to the weakest cylinder instead of maxing out each cylinder, just seems like a bad recipe for longevity.

Rich
+Quote Post
toon1
post Mar 15 2015, 02:43 PM
Post #18

QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 15 2015, 12:04 PM) *

A bit confused on the pictures Mike.

My 911 (3.2 stock) uses one large throttle plate with the dual plenum shape, but it does not use individual throttle plates for each cylinder, and not sure what that might buy you honestly.

In my opinion, there are enough other parameters to deal with that adding in individual cylinder tuning just makes it harder....

I think there is a better way to make the motor deliver everything it can, and that would be good head design, proper valve train setup and lots of testing to make sure all cylinders are performing at the same level.

Tuning to match might creat some bad stress on the crank and make the motor run poorly due to mis matched power from each cylinder. I would rather sacrifice some power and tune down to the weakest cylinder instead of maxing out each cylinder, just seems like a bad recipe for longevity.

Rich

The last part of your statement is confusing.

What your describing(the way I'm understanding it) is blue printing, which is a good .

How would improving intake air flow un balance the cylinders and be hard on the crank?
+Quote Post
McMark
post Mar 15 2015, 05:26 PM
Post #19

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

I suspect the 911 intake developed two 'plenums' mostly due to space constraints. I seriously doubt there is a payoff to the development for a dual plenum for the T4.

Also, IMHO, if you're going to modern fuel injection in a street car, one of the huge benefits is being able to use a single throttle body. Remember that any number of throttle bodies (more than 1) must still be accessible and adjustable for syncing, just like carbs. PITA.

Aside from variable intake length (VarioRam) and variable valve timing (VarioCam) most engine engineering developments are going to be of more benefit in the fuel economy and emissions department. If you're looking to increase engine output, as in horsepower or torque, stick to the basics. Displacement and forced induction. There isn't a fancy 2.0 that will compete with a 2270.
+Quote Post
toon1
post Mar 15 2015, 05:55 PM
Post #20

QUOTE(McMark @ Mar 15 2015, 04:26 PM) *

I suspect the 911 intake developed two 'plenums' mostly due to space constraints. I seriously doubt there is a payoff to the development for a dual plenum for the T4.

Also, IMHO, if you're going to modern fuel injection in a street car, one of the huge benefits is being able to use a single throttle body. Remember that any number of throttle bodies (more than 1) must still be accessible and adjustable for syncing, just like carbs. PITA.

Aside from variable intake length (VarioRam) and variable valve timing (VarioCam) most engine engineering developments are going to be of more benefit in the fuel economy and emissions department. If you're looking to increase engine output, as in horsepower or torque, stick to the basics. Displacement and forced induction. There isn't a fancy 2.0 that will compete with a 2270.

My Idea is more for efficiency, not to increase HP. I just want the motor to breathe easier.

The 1.7 is severely under aspirated.....IMHO. All the corners it turns to get into the plenum and transitions into the runners can be easily improved on.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 08:44 PM