Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Gracing the Green in a 914: The first and only appearance of a Porsche 914 LE Can Am at an Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance event, 914 LE Can Am at the Cars and Coffee at the Concours
somd914
post Mar 16 2015, 08:38 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,741
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Amelia Island Cars and Coffee the world's most prestigious car show? Let's stick to the facts please...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Mar 16 2015, 08:42 PM
Post #22

LUFTBRIGADE

Member No.: 15,092
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(somd914 @ Mar 16 2015, 10:38 PM) *

Amelia Island Cars and Coffee the world's most prestigious car show?

No, the Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance, which is inclusive of 4 days of events. It's always been the Pebble Beach Concours, mostly because it's been around much longer and set the standard. But in recent years, many at Pebble Beach and the masses as a whole have preferred Amelia Island, mostly because of it's friendly appeal and demeanor instead of the "stuffy" reputation of Pebble Beach and its itinerary. Amelia is also on the same par as Pebble Beach as far as what it gets. So may just simply prefer it. Both are stellar.
+Quote Post
7TPorsh
post Mar 16 2015, 08:45 PM
Post #23

7T Porsh

Member No.: 5,782
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Mar 16 2015, 06:36 PM) *

It's too bad when most of us are celebrating our cars and the international recognition and acclaim it just received at the highest stage in the world, that some find it "necessary" to try to rain on the parade and mocking those of us who are enjoying and relishing this moment, like a true 914 owner and admirer would. Maybe not commenting anything at all would be better. Step back from the keyboard, indeed.

And to the "What verse ! What the...." comment; you're mocking me for being articulate and intelligent. Yet you can't even finish your own sentence. Just don't say anything and let others who are interested enjoy this thread. If you're not, then just don't comment. Don't ruin it for the rest of us. Just keep your negative comments to yourself, and show a bit of maturity and respect please. Thanks.

Patience is a virtue; so is modesty....sorry to say you have neither quality.

Congratulations on getting your car " on the grass". Personally how big a deal can it be...I see modern Corvettes and other stuff there. I guess I have a different expectation of this event....thought it was like an east coast Pebble Beach affair.
+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Mar 16 2015, 08:51 PM
Post #24

LUFTBRIGADE

QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Mar 16 2015, 10:45 PM) *

QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Mar 16 2015, 06:36 PM) *

It's too bad when most of us are celebrating our cars and the international recognition and acclaim it just received at the highest stage in the world, that some find it "necessary" to try to rain on the parade and mocking those of us who are enjoying and relishing this moment, like a true 914 owner and admirer would. Maybe not commenting anything at all would be better. Step back from the keyboard, indeed.

And to the "What verse ! What the...." comment; you're mocking me for being articulate and intelligent. Yet you can't even finish your own sentence. Just don't say anything and let others who are interested enjoy this thread. If you're not, then just don't comment. Don't ruin it for the rest of us. Just keep your negative comments to yourself, and show a bit of maturity and respect please. Thanks.

Patience is a virtue; so is modesty....sorry to say you have neither quality.

Congratulations on getting your car " on the grass". Personally how big a deal can it be...I see modern Corvettes and other stuff there. I guess I have a different expectation of this event....thought it was like an east coast Pebble Beach affair.

Actually yes. In fact the new Corvette was first unveiled at Amelia Island (not Pebble Beach) for the 50th Anniversary of the Corvette. Lamborghini also unveiled it's new car at Amelia Island this past weekend. The examples at the Concours date back from horseless carriages to modern cars yet to be revealed. A Concours is not specific to one genre, era or class of automobile. And yes, it is the Pebble Beach of the East. You would know if you have been.

And again if you wouldn't mind, please don't hijack this thread. And if you're going to insult me, be decent enough to send me a private message. I think I'm being more than patient. And I've been patient all day sitting at my computer, taking off work, to post pictures on three different threads for everybody. It's quite time consuming. So just say "thanks for taking the time to post all the pictures" or nothing at all. I took almost 800 photos of all the 914s and other cars that I'm sure most people here would like to see. So just enjoy them and let everybody else enjoy them too. Nobody's forcing you to look at pictures of 914s from a world-class concours event and the only time they've ever been on display like this. As if it's such a tasteless thing to some of you guys.

Besides, let's put it this way... if you insist on comparing (which is not what this thread is for)...
Pebble Beach didn't get them. Nor have they shown any. Which would you rather go to?
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Mar 16 2015, 09:07 PM
Post #25

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419
Region Association: None

I've bitten my tongue enough.

Tommy. I think I can speak for the masses in that you have completely blown this whole thing way out of proportion, and have turned it into the Tommy show. You now have 3 threads chock full of the same pics of your car.

Your car was NOT accepted into the concourse. It was ALLOWED to be one of the cars shown at the C&C event, along with many other makes and models. It had little to do with your specific car or you, as you'd like to believe, but more about how quickly you applied or possibly who you know.

Take note of the lack of comments in your separate threads, and then take note of how many of the few comments have a negative tone. Several of the posters IMO have been politely passive aggressive with their comments by being vague, yet fully open to their intended meaning. These would be the ones you just finished slamming for not being articulate

Your enthusiasm is well understood, and your militaristic planning of events is appreciated, but seriously man, tone it down a bit. Post the pics of the OTHER cars there, and stop bloviating and trying to make yourself the all important man in charge.

You really showed your ass in that begging for help repair thread, you had deleted prior to the event once people started calling you out, and you learned nothing from that, so why should we expect you pick up on any of these comments (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Mar 16 2015, 09:16 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176

I love your car.
I love 914s
I've had a few myself.
But please ! 58 pictures ?
Way over the top.
This is not reporting on a great event that we all appreciate and applaud.
This is ego and self promotion.
Thank you for the modest, impartial view of your car.
Have any more pics ?
+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Mar 16 2015, 09:17 PM
Post #27

LUFTBRIGADE

QUOTE(scotty b @ Mar 16 2015, 11:07 PM) *

I've bitten my tongue enough.

Tommy. I think I can speak for the masses in that you have completely blown this whole thing way out of proportion, and have turned it into the Tommy show. You now have 3 threads chock full of the same pics of your car.

Your car was NOT accepted into the concourse. It was ALLOWED to be one of the cars shown at the C&C event, along with many other makes and models. It had little to do with your specific car or you, as you'd like to believe, but more about how quickly you applied or possibly who you know.

Take note of the lack of comments in your separate threads, and then take note of how many of the few comments have a negative tone. Several of the posters IMO have been politely passive aggressive with their comments by being vague, yet fully open to their intended meaning. These would be the ones you just finished slamming for not being articulate

Your enthusiasm is well understood, and your militaristic planning of events is appreciated, but seriously man, tone it down a bit. Post the pics of the OTHER cars there, and stop bloviating and trying to make yourself the all important man in charge.

You really showed your ass in that begging for help repair thread, you had deleted prior to the event once people started calling you out, and you learned nothing from that, so why should we expect you pick up on any of these comments (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

I have been posting all the pics of all the cars present at all the related events. The duplicates are because of separate threads. The East Coast Beach Party that I hosted have pictures from The 914 Experience which was also part of the reason for putting it on and also because not everybody is following all the threads. I want the ones in attendance to be able to see their pictures if they are not following other related threads. Not that I need to explain it. I have been sitting at my desk editing and posting pictures from the concours all day for people to enjoy.

If some of you guys are just going to continue bad-mouthing me when I've done nothing to any of you, just share the photos I took, if it's such a problem, then I'll just stop posting photos. You guys are being very rude and disrespectful and your behavior is hardly in any position to ridicule me - for what? Posting pictures of 914s that everybody has been waiting to see. I have more important things I need to do.

By the way, in regards to you saying my car was not accepted, it was allowed, there's no difference. Moreover, they asked me to bring it last year. I was late in doing registering it, so they asked me again to bring it this year. The mailer is simply a formality when you register. I'd be happy to show you the letter. You're making a lot of assumptions for no purpose other than to try to belittle me. Which is extraordinarily rude.
+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Mar 16 2015, 09:20 PM
Post #28

LUFTBRIGADE

I posted half of the pictures of the car because I was spending too much time narrowing them down. It was quicker to just upload them. I had taken so many pictures because the lighting kept changing all day, starting out very overcast and all the pictures were too dark. Then they were too bright from the glare. By the end of the day the lighting was just right. I was spending too much time going through them so I just uploaded a bunch. It is not ego, it was convenience. Also, if an LE Bumblebee had been present, there would be just as many pictures of it included because that's what this thread is clearly about. Moreover, I uploaded twice as many pictures of the 914/8 if you saw: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...6326&st=220
So stop judging me and stop complaining because you have MORE pictures to see instead of not enough. Jesus...

I've got hundreds of photos still to upload of the historic
914/6 GT Sunoco #5
914/6 GT #1
914/6 GT #2
914/6 Brumos #58
914/6 GT Brumos #59
914/6 GT Fly Lufthansa #88
914/6 GT T
The 914/6 Restoration
Field group shots of all the 914s together
The 914s as they won their awards
Video of the GTs revving and driving on the green to awards
And tons more
All of which are cars that most of us have never even seen a/o heard in person before

But I guess you guys aren't interested in lots of pics from this event that you're not too keen on to begin with. If you think I posted too many pictures, then maybe you'd prefer I delete most of them. Maybe I'll just post one of each of the rest since that seems to be what you guys prefer. If any at all anymore.

It's ridiculous you guys can't just show a little respect, and that I have to keep politely asking you guys to stop. Again, I guess "thanks" (and stop harassing) is just asking too much.
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Mar 16 2015, 09:37 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176

OK, OK thank you for the pictures
You have enabled us all to have a nice glimpse of the event.
And your car.
I wish I could buy you a drink. Or five.
Take a nap.
Thank you
Rory
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Mar 16 2015, 09:49 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068
Region Association: Southern California

Maybe go de-caf next year?
+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Mar 16 2015, 09:51 PM
Post #31

LUFTBRIGADE

I'm done.
+Quote Post
boxsterfan
post Mar 16 2015, 09:52 PM
Post #32

914's are kewl

Member No.: 791
Region Association: Northern California

Tommy, I like your car. Scratch that....I love your car....especially LE Creamsicles.

For some reason, you took exception to my comment about your sunvisors. I guess smileys and emoticons don't come across well to you. Look at your response to my goofus comment about your sunvisors. If you could read between the lines, what I was saying was "You have a nice LE there. I wish my Alaska Blue looked as nice as your does. I'm jealous."

But alas, we digress to here.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Mar 16 2015, 09:59 PM
Post #33

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

We are were excited for you. Congratulations.

Give it a rest. Take a time out. Your vernacular in the thread has a condescending tone as if you are rubbing it our faces. We are happy for you. enough... really... be done.

We are all happy the 914 was highlighted. All the 914's at the concourse are high dollar cars that very few of us can afford. As exciting as this is was, only bad can come of it. Now speculators are going to drive prices higher and good cars will no longer be affordable. In a couple years a rust bucket will be $20k or so.

There will be some excitement within our membership as people dream about the nest egg in the garage.

I will help drive prices up by continuing to cut up good cars and stuff wacky high horse power engines into them. BTW, you will never see my car at the concourse... I don't care. I love these cars and I don't really want the prices to be run up by a bunch of asshats with dreams of gouging.

Tony, your car looks great! Thanks for all the great photos. I'm still on the fence with the matching pants... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Mar 16 2015, 10:03 PM
Post #34

LUFTBRIGADE

QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Mar 16 2015, 11:52 PM) *

Tommy, I like your car. Scratch that....I love your car....especially LE Creamsicles.

For some reason, you took exception to my comment about your sunvisors. I guess smileys and emoticons don't come across well to you. Look at your response to my goofus comment about your sunvisors. If you could read between the lines, what I was saying was "You have a nice LE there. I wish my Alaska Blue looked as nice as your does. I'm jealous."

But alas, we digress to here.

Hey boxsterfan. No, I didn't take your comment the wrong way. I knew you were speaking in jest. Of course I was in no way offended by it. I was just responding about their condition. Lost in translation I guess. No worries and I thank you and appreciate you for saying that.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

It's the others who are being rude. This thread is about one car - the LE. And instead others have chosen (once again) to turn it into a personal attack on me. Even after asking them to stop, they continue. If they want to ruin it, then fine. I'm more than happy to look at my pictures all day long and enjoy remembering what is probably the only time ever these cars will be in one place at the same time. Too bad they weren't here to see if for themselves. Maybe Pebble Beach in 10 years for the 50th Anniversary.

None of this demeaning commentary with everybody else is related to this thread and I no longer wish to fence. They just don't know when to stop. I'd rather talk about 914s.
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Mar 16 2015, 10:09 PM
Post #35

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,527

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Mar 16 2015, 11:59 PM) *

We are all happy the 914 was highlighted. All the 914's at the concourse are high dollar cars that very few of us can afford. As exciting as this is was, only bad can come of it. Now speculators are going to drive prices higher and good cars will no longer be affordable. In a couple years a rust bucket will be $20k or so.

I love these cars and I don't really want the prices to be run up by a bunch of asshats with dreams of gouging.

Couldn't have said it better.

I'm particularly torn because I feel like I'm part of the "next generation" of 914 owners. My car is a total beater, but I love it for what it is. I could care less to have a concours car, though I appreciate the effort that goes into keeping one that way.

The main problem is for those of us who would like to have a nice driver 914 someday, especially in the "next generation", most of those cars will be far outside of our price range by the time we get to that point. Might as well buy a Cayman.

In the meantime, I still love working on them and living vicariously through everyone else. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) Amelia was pretty cool. Maybe I'll have to stay a little longer next year.
+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Mar 16 2015, 10:12 PM
Post #36

LUFTBRIGADE

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Mar 17 2015, 12:09 AM) *

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Mar 16 2015, 11:59 PM) *

I love these cars and I don't really want the prices to be run up by a bunch of asshats with dreams of gouging.

Couldn't have said it better.

I'm particularly torn because I feel like I'm part of the "next generation" of 914 owners. My car is a total beater, but I love it for what it is. I could care less to have a concours car, though I appreciate the effort that goes into keeping one that way.

The main problem is for those of us who would like to have a nice driver 914 someday, especially in the "next generation", most of those cars will be far outside of our price range by the time we get to that point. Might as well buy a Cayman.

In the meantime, I still love working on them and living vicariously through everyone else. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) Amelia was pretty cool. Maybe I'll have to stay a little longer next year.

My first car was a total beater too. That $500 "Lemon" piece of junk made me fall in love. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
dlkawashima
post Mar 16 2015, 10:35 PM
Post #37

914 Guru

Member No.: 12,234

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Mar 16 2015, 08:59 PM) *

BTW, you will never see my car at the concourse... I don't care.

Too late Mike. Remember you were at the Werks Reunion, which was part of Monterery Car Week, which apparently means you were part of the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Mar 16 2015, 10:41 PM
Post #38

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Mar 16 2015, 09:35 PM) *

Too late Mike. Remember you were at the Werks Reunion, which was part of Monterery Car Week, which apparently means you were part of the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance.

Shit! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
boxsterfan
post Mar 16 2015, 10:58 PM
Post #39

914's are kewl

Member No.: 791

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Mar 16 2015, 09:41 PM) *

QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Mar 16 2015, 09:35 PM) *

Shit! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Busted!!! Haha!! That's why I now keep my car on jackstands. Keeps me out of trouble...
+Quote Post
brant
post Mar 16 2015, 11:05 PM
Post #40

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post

9 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:33 AM