Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Gracing the Green in a 914: The first and only appearance of a Porsche 914 LE Can Am at an Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance event, 914 LE Can Am at the Cars and Coffee at the Concours
Steve Snyder
post Mar 17 2015, 12:01 PM
Post #81

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,158
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Mar 17 2015, 10:44 AM) *

... besides the funky cosmetics, can you name one thing that differentiates an LE from any other fully equipped '74 2.0L?

The price? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Just kidding. I actually own a fully-equipped '74 2.0L that was part of both the Amelia C&C and 2/3 of the events that Tommy organized. All I can say is that I had a blast throughout. It was great hanging out with the 914World crew, hearing their stories and experiences and seeing their cars.

Thanks to all present for making the experience one that I shall remember fondly. It was a great weekend for our weird little cars.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Mar 17 2015, 12:09 PM
Post #82

LUFTBRIGADE

Member No.: 15,092

QUOTE(Steve Snyder @ Mar 17 2015, 02:01 PM) *

... besides the funky cosmetics, can you name one thing that differentiates an LE from any other fully equipped '74 2.0L?

The price? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Just kidding. I actually own a fully-equipped '74 2.0L that was part of both the Amelia C&C and 2/3 of the events that Tommy organized. All I can say is that I had a blast throughout. It was great hanging out with the 914World crew, hearing their stories and experiences and seeing their cars.

Thanks to all present for making the experience one that I shall remember fondly. It was a great weekend for our weird little cars.

Thanks you, Steve! It was great meeting you and seeing your yellow car too! There's lots of pics of it in the Amelia Island and 914 Experience threads. If you want higher res pics of them I'll be happy to send them to you. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Everybody was really nice and I'm glad you and everybody had a great time. That's what it's all about! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

And you're right about the price (value) definitely being a factor because of it's intended and specific limited run and what it represents. Some may disagree thinking it's just a paint job. Yes there are other things that differentiates it from the rest. Jeff Bowlsby has gladly argued it. So have I. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/creamsicle914.jpg)

Interestingly though, some may not know, that an LE sold new was less than a fully optioned '74 (one of the reasons I posted my window sticker to show). It was actually less expensive to buy an LE (if you liked the cosmetics) than a regular loaded '74. And I just happen to see an original bill of sale on the LE registry yesterday where someone bought an LE and there was a dealer note on there that said "Paint bumpers black, free of charge". So I guess what's one way of getting what you want for less. :/
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Mar 17 2015, 12:09 PM
Post #83

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Member No.: 7,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Oh yeah, besides the funky cosmetics, can you name one thing that differentiates an LE from any other fully equipped '74 2.0L?

The front spoiler- unique to the LE & functional. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
7TPorsh
post Mar 17 2015, 12:10 PM
Post #84

7T Porsh

Member No.: 5,782
Region Association: Southern California

Well Cap'n. Looks like there is no keyboard to back away from. Voice activated text. No wonder these posts are so damn long and winded....AND REDUNDANT..Can't posts be limited to 132 characters like twitter?
Oh did I saw REDUNDANT?
+Quote Post
gandalf_025
post Mar 17 2015, 12:11 PM
Post #85

Member No.: 10,509
Region Association: North East States

Seriously...
No dog in this fight
BUT.. my brain hurts after reading all of this.

I did have to keep watching though......

Attached Image
+Quote Post
7TPorsh
post Mar 17 2015, 12:14 PM
Post #86

7T Porsh

Ya. Its like a train wreck.
+Quote Post
7TPorsh
post Mar 17 2015, 12:17 PM
Post #87

7T Porsh

I went back and read the first post. Seriously who would want a high res image of your COA?
+Quote Post
type2man
post Mar 17 2015, 12:30 PM
Post #88

Member No.: 10,127

After reading this whole thread I thought the LE was at the event on Sunday. When you scroll through page 11 on the Amelia thread, there's pictures of the LE mixed in with the 8 and the GT's so that makes it look like the car was there on Sunday too. It's a nice car but not worthy of entering in a Concour event.
+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Mar 17 2015, 12:40 PM
Post #89

LUFTBRIGADE

QUOTE(type2man @ Mar 17 2015, 02:30 PM) *

After reading this whole thread I thought the LE was at the event on Sunday. When you scroll through page 11 on the Amelia thread, there's pictures of the LE mixed in with the 8 and the GT's so that makes it look like the car was there on Sunday too. It's a nice car but not worthy of entering in a Concour event.

Hey type2man. In the first post I stated that the LE was in the Saturday Cars and Coffee at The Concours (first sentence, first paragraph), as were a handful of 914s. What you saw in the Amelia Island thread were pictures from one of the other events. You must have missed the caption before the pics. The pictures from that thread are from all the events over the entire Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance weekend, not just Sunday. Some pics were from the three events I organized for 914 World members - the Friday night evening out, the Saturday morning member breakfast and drive, the Cars and Coffee at the Concours and The 914 Experience East Coast Beach party. I was uploading them in sequential order, but after a day of editing people were asking me for all my pictures of the 914/8 so I went ahead and uploaded those before finishing the pictures from the previous events. So it went 914/8, LE, 916. I haven't uploaded any of all the pictures of the 914/6 GTs.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Mar 17 2015, 12:55 PM
Post #90

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Mar 16 2015, 08:59 PM) *

We are were excited for you. Congratulations.

Give it a rest. Take a time out. Your vernacular in the thread has a condescending tone as if you are rubbing it our faces. We are happy for you. enough... really... be done.

We are all happy the 914 was highlighted. All the 914's at the concourse are high dollar cars that very few of us can afford. As exciting as this is was, only bad can come of it. Now speculators are going to drive prices higher and good cars will no longer be affordable. In a couple years a rust bucket will be $20k or so.

There will be some excitement within our membership as people dream about the nest egg in the garage.

I will help drive prices up by continuing to cut up good cars and stuff wacky high horse power engines into them. BTW, you will never see my car at the concourse... I don't care. I love these cars and I don't really want the prices to be run up by a bunch of asshats with dreams of gouging.

Tony, your car looks great! Thanks for all the great photos. I'm still on the fence with the matching pants... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Mike, I'm still pissed that you & I nor our fine examples of what a 914 "can be" were invited. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

QUOTE(oldschool @ Mar 16 2015, 10:18 PM) *

It was super cool meeting all of you guy's,The guy that surprised me the most was scotty
I picture him a big fat dude with no hair (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)...guy can be on the cover of vogue (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
And Tommy love the disco pants I still have a pair. And it was great meeting all the people that hate Brad Roberts (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) ....LOve you guy's (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

You don't have a "pair" if'n you don't wear those to the next G&R Event. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Mar 17 2015, 06:32 AM) *

QUOTE(911buff @ Mar 17 2015, 03:02 AM) *

On another note, Painted Man, were you parked up Fletcher past Peters Point near the Beach on Saturday? We saw a cool looking 914 painted in the Falken Tire race livery. Looks kind of like your Avatar. Just wondering.

Yup, sorry I missed you (and many others on Saturday). I drove my car to C&C, then back to 57lincolnman's hotel to repair his CHT. Unfortunately it took me far longer than expected and he and I made it to the Pier pretty late. But getting it running right was worth it. I had a great time either way and it just gives me more incentive to come back next year or get out to other events to meet more of you guys and gals. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

This and only this "willingness to help" one another is paramount in my book. And BTW Brandt, thx for helping with my breakdown at RRC. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
scott_in_nh
post Mar 17 2015, 01:23 PM
Post #91

Member No.: 12,471
Region Association: North East States

From your first post:

QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Mar 16 2015, 02:48 PM) *

The 2015 20th Anniversary of the Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance, arguably the better of the two most prestigious car shows in the world, did a great service to a car that has long been overdue. It celebrated and honored the Porsche 914 as its featured marque for the 20th Anniversary of the Concours, displaying the 914 in unprecedented form. So much so, that it did not include any other classic Porsche models in the Porsche section. All the green was reserved just for the 914. Only a handful of other Porsche models were present at the Concours, a few in the Rally section and a few production cars in an assortment of other marques. But the Concours would have no other cars occupy the Porsche field to deter attention from the 914. In fact, it left a large open green in front of the display, commanding attention and demanding the respect it deserves. Only the rarest of the rare in the 914 family were on display at the Sunday Concours, save one impeccably restored 914/6. A 916 (11 made), a slew of historically significant 914/6 GT race cars, and the infamous one and only 350 bhp prototype 914/8 that belonged to Herr Pierch himself.

On the Saturday Cars and Coffee at The Concours event, a handful of 914s graced the Concours green as well, one of which being the rarest of the 914 productions cars sold to the public - the LE Can Am. A 'Creamsicle' no less, the rarer by almost half of the remaining two American Limited Edition Can Am production cars (Creamsicle and Bumblebee).

Not to heep on, but when I read this it certainly sounded to me like you were saying your 914 was there on Sunday (still does).

"as well" implies the rarest 914's were there Saturday and Sunday i.e. the handful of rare 914's on display Sunday were there on Saturday as well.

Then to go on to say that the LE is one of the rarer 914's also implies it was there both days on the green.

Finally, to put a picture of the invitation adds to the impression.

Maybe it wasn't on purpose, but to dismiss it and blame the reader is (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bs.gif)

+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Mar 17 2015, 02:16 PM
Post #92

LUFTBRIGADE

QUOTE(scott_in_nh @ Mar 17 2015, 03:23 PM) *

From your first post:

QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Mar 16 2015, 02:48 PM) *

The 2015 20th Anniversary of the Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance, arguably the better of the two most prestigious car shows in the world, did a great service to a car that has long been overdue. It celebrated and honored the Porsche 914 as its featured marque for the 20th Anniversary of the Concours, displaying the 914 in unprecedented form. So much so, that it did not include any other classic Porsche models in the Porsche section. All the green was reserved just for the 914. Only a handful of other Porsche models were present at the Concours, a few in the Rally section and a few production cars in an assortment of other marques. But the Concours would have no other cars occupy the Porsche field to deter attention from the 914. In fact, it left a large open green in front of the display, commanding attention and demanding the respect it deserves. Only the rarest of the rare in the 914 family were on display at the Sunday Concours, save one impeccably restored 914/6. A 916 (11 made), a slew of historically significant 914/6 GT race cars, and the infamous one and only 350 bhp prototype 914/8 that belonged to Herr Pierch himself.

On the Saturday Cars and Coffee at The Concours event, a handful of 914s graced the Concours green as well, one of which being the rarest of the 914 productions cars sold to the public - the LE Can Am. A 'Creamsicle' no less, the rarer by almost half of the remaining two American Limited Edition Can Am production cars (Creamsicle and Bumblebee).

Not to heep on, but when I read this it certainly sounded to me like you were saying your 914 was there on Sunday (still does).

"as well" implies the rarest 914's were there Saturday and Sunday i.e. the handful of rare 914's on display Sunday were there on Saturday as well.

Then to go on to say that the LE is one of the rarer 914's also implies it was there both days on the green.

Finally, to put a picture of the invitation adds to the impression.

Maybe it wasn't on purpose, but to dismiss it and blame the reader is (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bs.gif)

*Sigh* Really? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) This is a joke, right? Or are you being serious now? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)
For those of you who continue to debate this, here's an English lesson: "...as well" does not imply it was there on Sunday when it is in fact SPECIFICALLY stated and followed by "On the Saturday 'Cars and Coffee at The Concours' event...". It does not even say Sunday, but perfectly stated in English that it was there on Saturday... SAT-UR-DAY. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif) (Go ahead, say it out loud if you have to: SAT-UR-DAY. It has three syllables. SUN-DAY has two. See how that works?). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif) If anybody is interpreting that as anything else, then they have a problem with reading comprehension and basic grammar. If I have to keep repeating it to you in English, it's still going to be in English. Which is a class that may benefit those who continue to debate and argue against clearly stated grammar. And why do they choose to argue this anyway? 71Porsh, redundancy INDEED.

So yet again, the thread is about the pictures for those who like the LE. Pictures that should be a gift considering those constantly debating this cannot apparently read (pictures > words). So please, I beg of you who continue with the uncalled for and demeaning comments hijacking this thread, for your own sakes, if you can't be decent people then just think of yourselves. Save some face. Stop "heaping on", debating and hijacking this thread. Just enjoy the cars. Or at least be kind enough to let the rest of us enjoy them.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/dead horse.gif)
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Mar 17 2015, 02:22 PM
Post #93

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419
Region Association: None

Have you hit China yet ? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Mar 17 2015, 02:24 PM
Post #94

LUFTBRIGADE

I have! And even in Chinese they read "Saturday". (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
dlkawashima
post Mar 17 2015, 03:01 PM
Post #95

914 Guru

Member No.: 12,234
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Mar 15 2015, 05:01 PM) *

WOW. 914 lovers, this was unprecedented.
First off, I was extremely honored to have my Limited Edition 914 LE Can Am on display (the only one) at the greatest classic car show in the world, which honored, featured and displayed ONLY the 914 in the entire Porsche marquee lineup! NO classic Porsches OF ANY KIND were on display at Porsche except for ONLY a long row of historically significant 914s - and a lot of green in front of them to view them from. In fact, all of Porsche's green was reserved for just the 914. This unprecedented and VERY bold statement in world of Porsche commands and demands the long overdue respect that the 914 deserves.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

For the 914, our time has come.
To our big brother the 911, we respectfully extend to you... our middle (IMG:style_emoticons/default/finger.gif)

I got about 400 really good pictures of 12 914s. Instead of rushing to post, I'd rather take a bit of time to go through and edit them for you guys to make them more memorable. In the meantime, here's the one that makes me the most proud.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)

Tommy, I don't mean to pile on, but I'm just posting to try to help you understand how the confusion (at least my confusion) on the whole matter started.

Specifically, it was your post above from one of the other threads that got me totally confused. Do you see how it reads? Read it from the point of view of a casual observer, and (hopefully) you can see that it sure sounds like your LE was one of the twelve 914s on display on Sunday. And then when I saw the title of this thread I was still certain that your car was one of the twelve. I was still under the impression that your car was at both events until Scotty cleared up the matter.
+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Mar 17 2015, 03:24 PM
Post #96

LUFTBRIGADE

Yes I do. Thanks. I believe that was in another thread though and written and posted when I was at the Concours and obviously very excited at the time. And maybe could have said that differently instead of thinking out loud from excitement, which I have since. But that's not at all what I've said repeatedly on this dedicated thread and I've made it overly clear here. I was very meticulous drafting the intro to this thread as an opening piece to the Concours and what was there and when. As the berating has continued after many requests to stop in trying to move on to the cars, some seem are only interested in continuing the harassing. So I've decided to stop posting the pictures of the cars altogether. I haven't even gotten to the GTs and the rest of the cars or the rest of the show for that matter. I took just under 1,000 detailed photos. But even some here have complained about too many pictures. They haven't even considered that some have told me they would like to use the multiple pictures and angles for originality and restoration purposes, which was just another reason for posting more. I also already explained the other reasons there are so many pictures. I'm done repeating. Everybody go back and read before you throw your .02 in. It's already been answered. People are going to hate no matter what. And continue to ridicule without even reading the answers to the questions they keep asking, being childish and immature, though they think they're so clever. It's not worth my time to share anymore. Some continue to choose to ruin it for everybody. So I'm just kind of done now.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Mar 17 2015, 03:31 PM
Post #97

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181

Hey Tommy,

Congratz on showing your 'Cicle at Amelia (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
- & I don't care if it was the main event or one of the other fetes around town then - it gives our 914s the recognition they were due in 1969 & the `70's - to have the 914 featured there .... finally!

You & ALL of the others displaying there helped raise the profile of our "entry level Porsche" as Excellence termed the 912/914 market update in their latest issue.

As for the other "Parade Rainers" on here - so what if he got carried away with red pants, a bunch of pix of his car, some auto-prose (no different than the car mags' writers being too clever for their own good anymore) - he's proud of his Cremecicle & being there, & rightly so! So what!!?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

You guys will flock to scads of pix of everyone else's projects with rust, jackstand & project pix ad naseum, endless threads of stuffing Subies & V8s, etc. into 914s, & who knows what else, but you crucify Tommy for posting a bunch of pix of his very nice 914 here!!?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Heck - usually everyone is asking for more pix! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Get over yourselves & let members express their pride in their wheels without all of the "Troll" BS. It just makes you & the site itself look bad & unwelcoming!

PS - for the Evelyn Woodhead Sped Redders (Cheech & Chong bit) out there who read stuff too fast (& I do myself sometimes), Tommy was pretty clear which 914s were at the Sunday Concours itself, as quoted below:

"Only the rarest of the rare in the 914 family were on display at the Sunday Concours, save one impeccably restored 914/6. A 916 (11 made), a slew of historically significant 914/6 GT race cars, and the infamous one and only 350 bhp prototype 914/8 that belonged to Herr Pie[r]ch himself."

PSS - Tommy, I hope you will get around to adding pix of the other 914s/916s/GTs/etc. which were there over the entire weekend, for those of us who could not go to it.

That's my 2 bits!
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Mar 17 2015, 03:42 PM
Post #98

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,633

Those have to have been the cutest kids at the C&C Saturday. But then again, I'm partial. :-) Great pictures. Very nice car. And for people restoring cars and looking for ideas, very helpful. Like I mentioned Saturday, I'm always surprised how Orange the Orange is on the creamsickle. I think it is Phoenix red. But it always looks so orange in person.
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Mar 17 2015, 03:44 PM
Post #99

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,633

Sorry. Double post.
+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Mar 17 2015, 03:44 PM
Post #100

LUFTBRIGADE

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 17 2015, 05:31 PM) *

Hey Tommy,

Congratz on showing your 'Cicle at Amelia (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
- & I don't care if it was the main event or one of the other fetes around town then - it gives our 914s the recognition they were due in 1969 & the `70's - to have the 914 featured there .... finally!

You & ALL of the others displaying there helped raise the profile of our "entry level Porsche" as Excellence termed the 912/914 market update in their latest issue.

As for the other "Parade Rainers" on here - so what if he got carried away with red pants, a bunch of pix of his car, some auto-prose (no different than the car mags' writers being too clever for their own good anymore) - he's proud of his Cremecicle & being there, & rightly so! So what!!?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

You guys will flock to scads of pix of everyone else's projects with rust, jackstand & project pix ad naseum, endless threads of stuffing Subies & V8s, etc. into 914s, & who knows what else, but you crucify Tommy for posting a bunch of pix of his very nice 914 here!!?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Heck - usually everyone is asking for more pix! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Get over yourselves & let members express their pride in their wheels without all of the "Troll" BS. It just makes you & the site itself look bad & unwelcoming!

PS - for the Evelyn Woodhead Sped Redders (Cheech & Chong bit) out there who read stuff too fast (& I do myself sometimes), Tommy was pretty clear which 914s were at the Sunday Concours itself, as quoted below:

"Only the rarest of the rare in the 914 family were on display at the Sunday Concours, save one impeccably restored 914/6. A 916 (11 made), a slew of historically significant 914/6 GT race cars, and the infamous one and only 350 bhp prototype 914/8 that belonged to Herr Pierch himself."

PSS - Tommy, I hope you will get around to adding pix of the other 914s/916s/GTs/etc. which were there over the entire weekend, for those of us who could not go to it.

That's my 2 bits!
Tom
///////

Tom, if you were here I'd buy you a beer. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) Thanks for that.

+Quote Post

9 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 02:05 AM