Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My '74 914 Project Begins!
designerguy90
post Mar 17 2015, 10:22 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,666
Region Association: None

Hello all!

So my 914 refresh begins! As my car sits, it’s a ’74 1.8, which is somewhat cosmetically challenged (I know the pictures look good, and the car looks pretty good in person, but I am my father’s son and am anal about how my car looks, nothing short of perfection satisfies me).

My current project list includes(and none of these are in “order”):
-Brad Mayeur long kit
-new rocker covers
-dynamat for the firewall
-scuffing, sanding, fixing dents and repainting panels
-hunting for and fixing rust
-replacing battery tray (and fixing the trunk hinge while the engine is dropped, as well as rust hunting and fixing in the engine bay)
-replacing vinyl on sail panels
-refinish wheels
-clean and refinish wheel wells where necessary
-repaint/clean engine tin
-removing wart markers
-miscellaneous problems/projects that pop up along the way
-roll bar and harness bar (I want to autoX)

Currently, I’m planning on doing something fun with the car and giving it a subtle Gulf Oil theme. I have Gulf logos that are going on my front fenders in between where the door and front wheel arch is. I am also toying with either color matching the Fuchs centers Olympic blue, or painting the centers orange, as well as the bumpers, rocker covers and valances. Any thoughts on the paint, or other suggestions as I tear into the car? I am going to do this in quick bursts, so that I can have a car to drive, in between goals in repairing it. Eventually, the goal for the car is a 6 conversion, so I am going to be taking upgrades for that into account as I move forward as well.

-Alex

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Bob L.
post Mar 17 2015, 11:07 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 13,411
Region Association: Southwest Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

Looks like a fine start. I like the "Gulf" paint scheme. More pic's please.
+Quote Post
designerguy90
post Mar 19 2015, 06:47 PM
Post #3

Tore into the car today, removed the front trunk lid and front bumper. Yikes, found rust on the left front bumper mount, not too terrible though, Its already down to bare metal and I will be patching over the next several days. Any tips on welding prep or wiring I need to disconnect before I weld?

Peeking around under the car yielded no surprises that I can see yet, though my rocker covers are coming off next week for the 914 ltd long kit I'm putting on. If anything is present there, I will eliminate it swiftly and as correctly as possible.

-AlexAttached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
designerguy90
post Mar 19 2015, 06:52 PM
Post #4

Also, took off the vinyl on the sail panels, found some rust, which I knew about. Not too bad; planning on taking down to metal and welding in patches.

Also, I neglected to mention in the previous post, I removed the trunk seal and found a few spots in the channel I will be patching as well. Any tips or suggestions for welding those?

I also sanded the car (some severe paint blemishes) and buffed it, seemed to turn out well. I will be wet sanding the body as well just to keep getting it closer to shine. That will probably happen closer to my finish date. I do plan on dropping the engine in the next month or so, so I can fix the small spot of rust I know exists, and explore for more and kill it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Mar 19 2015, 07:20 PM
Post #5

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) I love the Gulf oil scheme.
+Quote Post
designerguy90
post Mar 19 2015, 07:48 PM
Post #6

Yeah, I'm still trying to figure out how to tastefully do it. I may sketch up some ideas and put marker to them to best figure it out without actually doing it! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
designerguy90
post Mar 21 2015, 12:45 PM
Post #7

Got a bit of work done yesterday. Sort of squared the rust hole next to the mounts. I'm planning on cutting more out between the holes and patching after I get the other patch in. Hit the front quarter with a hammer a bunch to fix the fender profile and hit some dents out. Definitely took a bit of mental strength to tell myself that I was about to hit my car with a hammer, but the profile is correct now. Just have to smooth the small stuff there, and put some filler on once I weld the patch over the wart hole.

Attached ImageAttached Image
+Quote Post
designerguy90
post Mar 21 2015, 12:48 PM
Post #8

Also, tested placement of the Gulf vinyl, I like it! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

-Alex

Attached Image
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Mar 21 2015, 01:14 PM
Post #9

You bought another 914?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 865

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif) I'm over in Portage if you need anything.
+Quote Post
designerguy90
post Mar 21 2015, 01:27 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Mar 21 2015, 11:14 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif) I'm over in Portage if you need anything.

Garold, I will be sure to give you a buzz if something comes up; I've got your number. Thank you!
+Quote Post
veekry9
post Mar 21 2015, 03:26 PM
Post #11

OldMember

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 16,025
Region Association: Canada

Attached Image

Take note,of chemical hazards when working on autobody and paint.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solve..._encephalopathy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intoxicative_inhalant

Some of these symptoms should be posted in your workplace and learned.
A fella here in Ontario had his noggin turn to mush,Hamilton area I recall.Long term chronic exposure to skin and lungs,a vegetable at the end,late '40s.
Sad,he was a gifted artist with a spraygun.Back in the '60s,Gunhi,did some nice flame jobs,a specialty of his,not the hohum kind,the Ridler kind.
Anyway the symptoms back then were not recognized for what they were and what dosages caused permanent damage.When his brother told me a portion of his brain had simply decomposed,
I gagged,it was like something out of a Hollywood B-movie.
If you can smell or taste it,you're overexposed,never wash your hands in solvents,period.
If the people around you think you've been poisoned,get thee hence to a physician to give some blood samples.
Simple industrial safety measures can make the job survivable.No need to die for a lousy car's lipstick,the envirobase paints are a move in the right direction.

Gasoline too.
+Quote Post
veekry9
post Mar 21 2015, 04:45 PM
Post #12

OldMember

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 16,025
Region Association: Canada

Attached Image
Heavy Metallic Gulf + Pearl ...
Something along the lines of my intent.Always I see it done in pastels.Shiny and sparkling is good,like a Riesling.
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Mar 21 2015, 04:55 PM
Post #13

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I like the Gulf scheme, but I would paint the bumpers body color and the valances and rockers orange. I would also delete the vinyl and leave the sails body color. Fill the trim holes. Painted sails with the vinyl trim reinstalled looks hokey. Deleting the warts is a big improvement.

Good luck with the resto.
+Quote Post
designerguy90
post Mar 23 2015, 06:24 PM
Post #14

Thank you for the info veekry9, I have done some bodywork, modelmaking and other things with harmful and semi-harmful chemicals, I always try to be as safe as possible!

Kelty, I like the suggestion for the gulf scheme, I will see how that looks. However I will be keeping the vinyl, I don't know what it is about it, but I love it!

Here are a few pics of progress again. I squared the hole next to the bumper mount and wire wheeled it, but forgot to take a pic (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) Will have to do that later.

Took the rocker covers off, was fearing the worst, or at least a bit of rot, but nothing to my sight or in reach of my awl poking for rust. The splotchy matter what appears to be a rubber sealant, I stabbed through and hit solid metal every time, so I think its pretty good. Though there is a patch on the right side long about 3" long and 1" wide that I have to remove and weld correctly.

I will be using Eastwoods Internal frame coating in the longs (as well as some of Eastwoods other fine products on the car), just as a precautionary measure. I know a bit of very small particulate rust has come out of the drain holes, so I want to nip that in the bud now.

I ground/hammered/pryed out the rust on both sail panels and wire wheeled them. The right side hole has solid metal behind, Im thinking because of how it is, I can just pop in a few beads into the spot, fill it, and grind it flush. The right side however, I am going to cut out and patch with a small piece. Suggestions on sheetmetal gauge?

Also, are there any precautions or procedures I should do to the car before welding on her? I know disconnect the battery, but should I do anything else?

Thanks for the support and help thus far guys! Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
designerguy90
post Mar 23 2015, 06:26 PM
Post #15

Attached Image
+Quote Post
designerguy90
post Mar 23 2015, 06:27 PM
Post #16

Attached Image
+Quote Post
designerguy90
post Mar 23 2015, 06:27 PM
Post #17

Attached Image
+Quote Post
designerguy90
post Mar 23 2015, 06:29 PM
Post #18

Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
designerguy90
post Mar 24 2015, 05:58 PM
Post #19

Got the better rocker covers and long kit in yesterday. Wow, thats all I can say, excellent work from 914ltd on this kit, very impressive.

So I masked the trunk seal channel (some rust in the channel) and prepped and sprayed Eastwoods rust converter on it. Going to probably leave it the grey color for a while until I get both fenders to the point of paint, so I can touch up the little areas that need to have blue put on them.

I got to use my favorite hammer and popped out a few other dents on the passenger side (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

Hopefully going to put the car on jacks tomorrow or Thursday for prepwork for welding.

-AlexAttached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
ice cold
post Mar 24 2015, 07:02 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 16,993
Region Association: South East States

I have seen on other threads that rust along the bottom of the sail panels is caused by foam installed by the factory in that area. I am no expert on rust or 914s but you may want to determine if the rust is deeper than you expect. Have seen several pictures of the sail panels removed and rust being more extensive than expected.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 03:59 PM