Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Weltmeister short shifter and Factory Concole
rfinegan
post Mar 22 2015, 01:00 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,499
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I have just installed a Weltmiester short shifter in my 75 914. I test drove and the shifting has greatly improved. I am very happy it the way it works and shifts. However it sits a bit higher then the factory unit and installing the shift boot and bottom for the console is troublesome. Any one have any advice how they resolved this? I hate t have to cut a nice console but the shift improvements of the short shifter are here to stay and the stock unit is not going back in

-Robert
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Mar 22 2015, 08:14 AM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

You might want to make up a couple of spacers to raise up the ends of the console to keep it level.
+Quote Post
pcar916
post Mar 22 2015, 09:40 AM
Post #3

Is that a Lola?

Member No.: 4,188
Region Association: None

When I had one I made rock-maple spacers under each end to raise the console shelf rather than the entire console. Although, since my console was the shorter A/C version, there was plenty of room where the A/C unit had been.

That means I could have raised the entire console, but I figured it would let too much dirt in around the edges.

Good Luck
+Quote Post
rfinegan
post Mar 23 2015, 05:06 AM
Post #4

The lower bottom of the console rides a little high in the back but over all looks pretty good...

Thanks Ya'll Im going to firm this us and make it more permanent

-Robert

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
bcheney
post Mar 23 2015, 10:42 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 1,348
Region Association: South East States

When you say it sits higher do you mean that the bottom of the shift rod spline end where it couples with the shifter end up sitting higher? Just wondering because I have a little issue with that area on my shift rod....it seems to touch the top side of the clutch tube that was re-welded in place years ago. Wonder if moving to this short shifter set up might help that...
+Quote Post
larryM
post Mar 23 2015, 09:13 PM
Post #6

emoze

Member No.: 65
Region Association: Northern California

yes, that's the way it is - always was

20 yrs ago -

i just left out the "floor" and put carpet in there

+Quote Post
rfinegan
post Mar 24 2015, 05:17 AM
Post #7

The added length below the pivot ball is longer so that the throw is increased with less movement on the handle end. to keep things "lined up", a spacer is placed under the body of the shifter raising everything up and keeping things in line with the shift linkages. This is why the shifter housing is now touching and pressing up on the "floor" of the center console ( shift boot ring) and console mounts.

It sound like you would have the same issues with the stock or short shift if I am reading things right

QUOTE(bcheney @ Mar 23 2015, 08:42 AM) *

When you say it sits higher do you mean that the bottom of the shift rod spline end where it couples with the shifter end up sitting higher? Just wondering because I have a little issue with that area on my shift rod....it seems to touch the top side of the clutch tube that was re-welded in place years ago. Wonder if moving to this short shifter set up might help that...
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 03:06 AM