Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> got my 914 back... :/, some qustions
Schnell944
post Jun 4 2003, 10:53 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 86

yeah, so i finally got the 914 from my mechanic's clutches....and speaking of clutches, the car seems to run alright, goes into all gears ok, except in first. I can get it in first just fine, but it is veeeeerrrry slow, then seems to pick up. the pick-up is ok for a 1.7 i suppose in the other gears. I'm kind a pissed bc mech never really told me about it and what i may have to do. kina a crappy ride home for the first time...rainy, the engine lid poped up(wasnt fixed like it was supposed to be), saw the corroded battery terminals that were supposed to be taken care of, paid too much for a bloody voltage regulator, etc. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/fighting19.gif) anyway, does this sound like a clutch problem or could it be something else. any help. I think im gonna need a lot of help w this car, but hopefully ill be in this for the long haul. i should go go (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) now, i think before it really gets to me.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tryan
post Jun 4 2003, 11:29 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 184

you need to learn how to work on your own car. buy a book or post a question. you can clean the battery terminals with vinger. flush the area underneath with baking soda and rinse with fresh water.

your clutch is easy to adjust unless there are other issue such as the clutch tube or plastic cup on the arm. you should slip her into first before you come to a stop.

start with a haynes manual. you will enjoy the car more if you bleed on her.
+Quote Post
Schnell944
post Jun 4 2003, 11:42 AM
Post #3

oh, i work on my cars as much as i can, it was at the mech. for a while bc i had a new tranny put it. it's tough when you dont have a garage yet and you go to college. I've been working on my porsche 944 and bmw 2002 for ages, I'm jsut not familiar w/ these cars yet and am waiting for my Haynes to come in. car seems to be a little sluggish when first putting it into first and 2nd(at lower RMPs) takes a while to get up to the higher RPMs, this could be something other than the clutch i think. sorry, just got it back, and am trying to diagnose things.
+Quote Post
Lawrence
post Jun 4 2003, 11:43 AM
Post #4

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 244
Region Association: None

I can echo what Tryan posted. He's dead on about the satisfaction (and money saved) when turning your own wrenches.

I can get it in first just fine, but it is veeeeerrrry slow, then seems to pick up.

I'm not being sarcastic, what follows is a honest question: Are you taking about shifting in/out of first, or the pickup when you start moving from a dead stop?

What all did you have the guy do to your car? Any reason for him to tamper with the clutch cable or go into the center tunnel?
+Quote Post
Schnell944
post Jun 4 2003, 11:51 AM
Post #5

to answer your question, tyran, moving from a dead stop. and yeah, i third your feeling about working on our cars, my first car was a $600 bimmer I took apart: felt great to drive it. anyway, i had him put a newer tranny in and an injector....I was away at college and couldnt possibly do this myself.
+Quote Post
tryan
post Jun 4 2003, 11:57 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 184

check your trigger points in the bottom of the dizzy and do a general tune up. check for vacumme leaks and you might put a timming light on to see if your advance maybe sticking.
+Quote Post
airsix
post Jun 4 2003, 12:36 PM
Post #7

I have bees in my epiglotis

Member No.: 266

I'm not exactly sure what the question is here.

You said you have a first gear problem, but that it shifts ok. So are you saying you have:

1) a transmission problem
2) a clutch problem
3) an engine problem

It sounds like maybe you are trying to say "Coming off idle the engine doesn't make very much power". Is that it? At this point I'm just guessing at what you are trying to say. I don't mean to be rude, but your question isn't very clear.

-Ben M.
+Quote Post
Schnell944
post Jun 4 2003, 01:30 PM
Post #8

sorry if im not being very clear. im just figuring stuff out just getting and driving my car for like the first time ever. what Im trying to say is that the car is kind of lagging in first, taking off from a start, but it doesnt seem like it is doing this all the time. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) it may be a clutch adjustment and I also think I need to give the car a good tune up. I'll get back to you guys after I go thru the car and can asses things better.
+Quote Post
914guy
post Jun 4 2003, 02:45 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 561

QUOTE(tryan @ Jun 4 2003, 09:29 AM)

start with a haynes manual. you will enjoy the car more if you bleed on her.

It's true
+Quote Post
Schnell944
post Jun 4 2003, 04:37 PM
Post #10

i kno, I've been there.....I have bled, literally, over my 944 many a time.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:51 PM