Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Powdercoating, Cost to do engine tin?
ottox914
post Mar 27 2015, 08:09 PM
Post #1

The glory that once was.

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,438
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Looking to get the engine tin powdercoated. What is a fair price? Had one estimate, seemed really big to me. I realize this will vary from here to there, but what have others paid for this service?

Anyone have any good references for the mpls/st paul MN area?

Dave
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
toolguy
post Mar 27 2015, 08:36 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 12,889
Region Association: Southern California

We'd charge the guy off the street $20 per small item and add it up.
it's all manual labor time, sandblasting and degreasing, then painting and baking.
Material and powder is not the real cost, time/labor cost and equipment is.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 27 2015, 08:43 PM
Post #3

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I take parts over to my local commercial powder coater. The bigger the batch, the less the cost. The more flexible on time, the less the cost. They would probably charge me about $100-150 to do a set of tin.
+Quote Post
patssle
post Mar 27 2015, 08:47 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 10,741
Region Association: None

Consider spray painting? I did mine with high temp paint and they still look great after being installed/handled and 9 months later.
+Quote Post
Amphicar770
post Mar 27 2015, 09:01 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 11,639

QUOTE(patssle @ Mar 27 2015, 10:47 PM) *

Consider spray painting? I did mine with high temp paint and they still look great after being installed/handled and 9 months later.

Agree. I did mine using Eastwood Extreme Chasis Black primer and paint (after blasting the parts to bare metal). Beat the heck out of one piece when refitting it and not so much as a scratch or a chip.
+Quote Post
relentless
post Mar 27 2015, 10:00 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 7,636

Powdercoating isn't that hard to master (check Youtube). You can get started for well under $200. It is far more durable than regular paint, plus you will have the satisfaction of mastering another great way to keep your car looking sharp!

I purchased a $40 Craftsman powdercoat gun, a used $60 oven, and already had a drill with wire brushes to clean the parts. I use Eastwood powdercoating 'paint' and have been very satisfied with the results. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
screenguy914
post Mar 27 2015, 10:14 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 10,540
Region Association: Southern California

Different markets as well as different vendors will charge differently. That said, one place in So. CA estimated $300 to powder coat all the engine tin (approx. 9 pieces), an engine mount and a muffler mount.

If I had time, they suggested I wait for additional customer(s) with the same color needs and have it done at the same time to help reduce their setup and processing time.

I eventually used another vendor who charged me $200 (ouch, but no waiting for others). I think the spread is wide enough to shop around and ask.

There are also privateers who powder coat in their own facilities. Do a Google search with PelicanParts as a preface search term for links. Add shipping costs and comfort factor to a distant location.

Rattle can is an option as well, but powder coating should be more durable in the long term.

Sherwood
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Mar 28 2015, 03:18 AM
Post #8

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

I had a set done for $120. I do a lot of business with him. Have it blasted and then inspect it for damage. Most top tins have some cracks and bends.
+Quote Post
thieuster
post Mar 28 2015, 08:33 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 18,384
Region Association: Europe

After I've removed the engine from my car, I will pull off the tins as well. I can blast the tin myself (blasting cabinet! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) ) and p/coating can be done by a local guy. The price of the coating is only a little higher than several cans of high temp paint.

I need an advice though: keep all tins the original color (black & silverish metallic ) of have it all in one silverish color. Personally, I think that it will brighten up the engine bay.

Furthermore: what's the original color of the manifold tubes? It's not grey, it's not green... Or...
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Mar 28 2015, 08:56 AM
Post #10

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

A grey color but silver looks better.
For $200 I took the fan, engine tin, intake manifold and plenum, exhaust tin everything and had it blasted and powder coated in 1998. It's still looking really nice with 20,000 miles on it.
On my Westy I had the fan housing done in silver and it looks better than satin black. That engine has 40,000 miles on it and look brand new.( 7 years later)
+Quote Post
jeffdon
post Mar 28 2015, 08:57 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 7,087
Region Association: None

QUOTE(thieuster @ Mar 28 2015, 06:33 AM) *

After I've removed the engine from my car, I will pull off the tins as well. I can blast the tin myself (blasting cabinet! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) ) and p/coating can be done by a local guy. The price of the coating is only a little higher than several cans of high temp paint.

I need an advice though: keep all tins the original color (black & silverish metallic ) of have it all in one silverish color. Personally, I think that it will brighten up the engine bay.

Furthermore: what's the original color of the manifold tubes? It's not grey, it's not green... Or...

RE: Color. I went with a semi gloss that my powder coater said was popular with the VW and Porsche crowd and it looks great. I think I paid about $110. Ugly dirty parts dropped off, pristine, wrapped in paper new parts picked up!

However, I did look at a guys 914 that had bright yellow tins (matched his body color), and it was a bit of a revelation how much easier it was to see in there. Food for thought.
+Quote Post
thieuster
post Mar 28 2015, 09:10 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 18,384
Region Association: Europe

semi gloss is always a good idea. It's SO hard to maintain 'high gloss' under the bonnet. When I restored the engine of both my TR3A and my Saab 96, I opted for semi gloss as well. It's much easier to spot oil leaks: "If you see a shiny part, you're in trouble" sort of trick.

For now, I'm leaning to the all-metallic side! Combined with a modern day fire wall covering, I'm sure it will all be a lot easier on the eye!

Menno

(Little off topic: a professional car restorer I know paints the back of dashboards white: much easier when you're lying on your back with a torchlight in your mouth, replacing dashboard light bulbs...)

Menno
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 28 2015, 09:15 AM
Post #13

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

QUOTE(jeffdon @ Mar 28 2015, 10:57 AM) *

QUOTE(thieuster @ Mar 28 2015, 06:33 AM) *

RE: Color. I went with a semi gloss that my powder coater said was popular with the VW and Porsche crowd and it looks great. I think I paid about $110. Ugly dirty parts dropped off, pristine, wrapped in paper new parts picked up!

However, I did look at a guys 914 that had bright yellow tins (matched his body color), and it was a bit of a revelation how much easier it was to see in there. Food for thought.

That the best part about powdercoating. Someone else does the messy work and you get new looking parts back.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Mar 28 2015, 10:51 AM
Post #14

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 27 2015, 05:43 PM) *

I take parts over to my local commercial powder coater. The bigger the batch, the less the cost. The more flexible on time, the less the cost. They would probably charge me about $100-150 to do a set of tin.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Pretty much every batch I brought to my guy in Sacramento was $100 - $150...
+Quote Post
TJB/914
post Mar 28 2015, 12:33 PM
Post #15

Mid-Engn.

Member No.: 346
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(ottox914 @ Mar 27 2015, 10:09 PM) *

Looking to get the engine tin powdercoated. What is a fair price? Had one estimate, seemed really big to me. I realize this will vary from here to there, but what have others paid for this service?

Anyone have any good references for the mpls/st paul MN area?

Dave

Hi Dave,
This is my Ceramic & Powder Coater in MI. I don't know about pricing, because he is a long time family friend & I probably get a discount??
Call Fred for pricing, but shipping might be an problem. They do excellent work and Fred (owner) has a 1972 914 with a worked over 2.0 liter, 53 VW Bug, etc. etc. along with a few 914 parts cars out in the back woods. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)
Tell him you know me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
Tom

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 04:58 AM