Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Powdercoating, Cost to do engine tin?
ottox914
post Mar 27 2015, 08:09 PM
Post #1

The glory that once was.

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,438
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Looking to get the engine tin powdercoated. What is a fair price? Had one estimate, seemed really big to me. I realize this will vary from here to there, but what have others paid for this service?

Anyone have any good references for the mpls/st paul MN area?

Dave
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
thieuster
post Mar 28 2015, 08:33 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 18,384
Region Association: Europe

After I've removed the engine from my car, I will pull off the tins as well. I can blast the tin myself (blasting cabinet! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) ) and p/coating can be done by a local guy. The price of the coating is only a little higher than several cans of high temp paint.

I need an advice though: keep all tins the original color (black & silverish metallic ) of have it all in one silverish color. Personally, I think that it will brighten up the engine bay.

Furthermore: what's the original color of the manifold tubes? It's not grey, it's not green... Or...
+Quote Post
jeffdon
post Mar 28 2015, 08:57 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 7,087
Region Association: None

QUOTE(thieuster @ Mar 28 2015, 06:33 AM) *

After I've removed the engine from my car, I will pull off the tins as well. I can blast the tin myself (blasting cabinet! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) ) and p/coating can be done by a local guy. The price of the coating is only a little higher than several cans of high temp paint.

I need an advice though: keep all tins the original color (black & silverish metallic ) of have it all in one silverish color. Personally, I think that it will brighten up the engine bay.

Furthermore: what's the original color of the manifold tubes? It's not grey, it's not green... Or...

RE: Color. I went with a semi gloss that my powder coater said was popular with the VW and Porsche crowd and it looks great. I think I paid about $110. Ugly dirty parts dropped off, pristine, wrapped in paper new parts picked up!

However, I did look at a guys 914 that had bright yellow tins (matched his body color), and it was a bit of a revelation how much easier it was to see in there. Food for thought.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 05:41 AM