Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rough Start after recent service, thoughts?
914Next
post Mar 28 2015, 08:07 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,695
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Last week I had my '73 2.0 serviced by a well regarded air-cooled guy here in atlanta. Since the car is new to me I decided to do an oil change and have him do a valve adjustment also since I don't know when was done last.

In the end he changed oil, adjusted valves, put new valve cover gaskets on and replaced the spark plugs (as I recall replaced Bosch with NGK plugs).

When I picked up the car at the garage it started and ran fine. The next day I drove it twice however and when cold it started fine. But when I was running a couple of errands the car sat for 20-45 minutes and when I went to re-start the car it seemed to be getting gas but stumbled and died immediately when I released the key. After 2-3 attempts, in both instances I could get it started and it seemed to run fine when started. Any idea what the culprit might be? It's disappointing since the car ran so well before the service and of course it's a bit unnerving not knowing it I'll be able to coax the thing to start when I'm out and about.

I only have the one day experience with this problem. I'll try it again next week and see if it persists.

Thanks
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Mar 28 2015, 08:21 AM
Post #2

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

That's how a leaking injector will react. The system can hold fuel pressure for half an hour after you turn it off. A leaky injector will flood one cylinder with gas. Next time it does it, hold gas pedal to floor till it starts.

Also, it could be the cold start valve stuck open. Remove the air filter box, open the throttle and look into the plenum for gas.

The head temp sender (ts2) is also a suspect.

Did the mech set the gap on the new plugs? They come gapped to about 34 thousandths. Should be 27.

Hope this helps.
+Quote Post
914Next
post Mar 28 2015, 09:22 AM
Post #3

QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Mar 28 2015, 10:21 AM) *

That's how a leaking injector will react. The system can hold fuel pressure for half an hour after you turn it off. A leaky injector will flood one cylinder with gas. Next time it does it, hold gas pedal to floor till it starts.

Also, it could be the cold start valve stuck open. Remove the air filter box, open the throttle and look into the plenum for gas.

The head temp sender (ts2) is also a suspect.

Did the mech set the gap on the new plugs? They come gapped to about 34 thousandths. Should be 27.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, I'll start by asking him if he set the gaps and we'll go from there,.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Mar 31 2015, 10:40 PM
Post #4

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

Just take it back to him Steve, & ask him to trouble shoot it, since you paid good money for the service. If he's reputable & truly knowledgeable, then he'll find it & fix it for you.

If it's who I think you're talking about, then he'll make it right. If another, then also hopefully so.

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
914Next
post Apr 1 2015, 06:24 AM
Post #5

Thanks, Tom. I know he will.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 08:09 PM