Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Cracker Jack Prize, engine disassembly
r3dplanet
post Mar 29 2015, 08:56 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,741
Region Association: None

Hello peeps.

I'm back from a long period of hibernation following my bone marrow transplant. Here's a helpful life hacking skill: do not get cancer. During the eight months I was gone, my birthday came and went. Now I'm 42. Things are much different now that I'm back on my aching feet. For example, I now spend my days playing a new mental game called "Post Transplant or Middle Age?" to explain things like my increased waistline diameter, aching muscles, slow wit, and any other number of minor grievances.

Today was the first day I've done anything 914-ish in a long, long time. Since my Corvair engine project is on hold indefinitely, I've put plans into place to convert my existing 1.7 liter engine into a 1911. Before the Corvair project I had previously bought pistons, 94mm cylinders that are good enough to bore, rockers, lifters, new cam, swivel adjusters, etc. So I decided to put them to good use and rebuild my engine.

Today was a lovely Spring day complete with sunny skies and cherry blossoms. So I disassembled the engine that has been languishing in the garage since last June. Guess what? My 1.7 liter engine already has 96mm pistons and cylinders. I have no idea what the crankshaft is so maybe it's a 1911 or maybe it's a 2056. I don't know. But it certainly was a surprise since the person I bought it from was convinced it was a 1.7 liter from a 1973 car. Is there some easy way to find which crankshaft I have or do I have to wait until I split the case?

What I do know is that I spent two years trying in vain to get the 1.7 liter D-Jet system to work on that engine. With today's interesting discovery I know at least that I had (and rebuilt) the wrong MPS along with the wrong injectors (VW Black for 1600-1700cc) and wrong computer. Hoo-ray! Thank you so very much 20/20 hindsight! At least I know why it ran super lean all the time. I actually feel much better about the D-Jet failure now. Chances are that it all worked perfectly well after the work I put into it. It was just the wrong engine.

I blame and applaud myself simultaneously. My sincere hope is that becoming concurrently post-transplant and middle aged brings newfound wisdom along with all of the extra groaning sounds I now make.

How do I identify which crankshaft I have? Cam?

Your pal,
Marcus
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 09:03 PM