Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Problem with wiring from Relay Board to Coil etc., Wiring Problem from Board to Coil...
post Apr 6 2015, 12:15 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,991
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Something isn't adding up! I have a 1970 Porsche 914 which I've upgraded with a 2.0L engine out of a 1975 914 along with the 1975 Ignition Wiring Harness. The engine has had the distributor upgraded to an electronic ignition from the original points setup. The two wires coming from the bottom of the distributor (Red goes to Positive terminal on Coil) and (Black goes to negative on Coil). Reference attached picture or diagram I've drawn of the Engine Relay Board, right rear plug in on board! With key on, I'm getting 2 hot wires from the terminals, (One) is the 4th Pin down on left (Solid Black Wire) and the other is the top right pin (Grey with Red Stripe)! The other wires/pins are not hot! Green/Red, Black/Purple, Green Jumper Wire, 2nd Grey/Red Wire, Large Yellow Wire, Black/Red Wire. From diagrams I've pulled from on line, it appears the following wires should go to the following locations from the Engine Relay Board/plug in above mentioned:
* Black/Red Wire goes to (+) Positive on Coil
* Black/Purple Wire (Tach Signal Wire) goes to (-) Negative on Coil
* Large Yellow Wire goes to Starter
* Small Yellow Wire goes to ?
* Green/Red Wire goes to Oil Pressure/Sending Unit next to Distributor
* Solid Black Wire goes ?
* 2 Grey/Red wires go to sending unit on side of transmission

......My question is why are those two wires hot (Solid Black Wire and the One Grey/Red Stripe Wire)?
......Shouldn't instead the Black/Red Wire should be the hot one going to the Coil?
......OR is the problem I have the wrong Wiring Harness and if thats the case why cain't I just change the pin locations on the plug in on the relay?

...Thanks for any help!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 08:58 PM