Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V « < 5 6 7  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pertronix Ignitor III, any experience P-related or not?
Gatornapper
post Mar 3 2020, 07:33 PM
Post #121

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,449
Region Association: South East States

Pertronix is saying that almost never happens. They will analyze the module and tell me whether it is covered by warranty.

But could be something in my ignition I guess.....now here comes the puzzling bit: Today I put new points & condenser in the dizzy that worked well last week - and no spark! Tried 2 different coils too. Yes, have 12v from ignition.

I mean, a points system is so simple - I am really baffled. Only had few minutes today to look at car, will dig deeper tomorrow. I was shocked it didn't start right up with the points......

Will be checking plug wires - Bosche Ultra - no one has ever heard of them - they were new in the box from the PO of the car, but dating back to about 2005.....

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Mar 3 2020, 07:31 PM) *

QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Mar 3 2020, 11:27 AM) *

Years in electronics myself - as Pertronix said, over-heating will cause label to turn yellow....no, it looked like new.....no signs of over-heating........

Will report on what happens. Meanwhile ordered a Hot Spark unit - always good to have a back-up anyway, and only $50.......

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Mar 3 2020, 09:36 AM) *

Oh crud.

Not to give you a hard time but that is usually a fried unit. Could just be a bad one from the factory but...

Hope you get it sorted out and please do keep us posted.

Weird, sounds like manufacturing defect.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
yeahmag
post Mar 3 2020, 07:59 PM
Post #122

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,946
Region Association: Southern California

Might want to ohm out your coil.
+Quote Post
malcolm2
post May 27 2020, 12:41 PM
Post #123

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,139
Region Association: South East States

I am late to the party here, but I have used the HOT SPARK. It ran for about 30000 miles then got a hiccup. Pulled it and put another on.... It has gone 20000 miles and no problem. Hot spark has some voltage suggestions that you should dig into and verify that you are under. Their directions walk you right thru it. I keep a spare hotspark in my trunk. Like you said.... only $50.

Below is a link to my HICCUP thread. Thanks to TimND suggesting to use the timing light.

My hot spark hiccup

I ended up using a ballast resistor and some upgraded cool paste under the module to keep it cool. Like I said, all has been well since.
+Quote Post

7 Pages V « < 5 6 7
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:39 AM