Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tell me about tuna, can
Porsche Rescue
post Feb 16 2005, 10:08 AM
Post #21

Saving and Enjoying Old Porsches

Group: Members
Member No.: 64
Region Association: None

Is the stock screen in there? I would think that should be looked at once in a while. But I think Joe probably has the right idea. Leave non-leaking things alone. The car is a track only car although I may drive it there (10 miles) on occasion.

Bruce: you were right, as morning approached I got some helpful answers. Thanks all.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Joseph Mills
post Feb 16 2005, 01:57 PM
Post #22

on a Sonoma diet now...

Member No.: 39

As I recall, it's recommended to not use the screen with it. I've had a tuna can on my engine for about 2 years with no problem.

The nut that holds it on does sit even with the engine bar and it is just slightly ahead of the front edge of the rear wheels, so you do need to use caution with speed bumps and some driveways. Not that big of a deal. Have you ever had an engine bar scrape a speedbump? I haven't.

I changed oil a few days ago and removed the can to see what I might find in the bottom of it. Nothing but oil. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif)

I put it back on with a new gasket and now have a very small drip leak - no big deal, but somewhat frustrating nevertheless. I'll just wait til the next oil change (1500 miles) to deal with it. I'll continue to remove it once in a while.

If you have large tires that will generate more lateral force, and are autocrossing or like to do fast sweepers, exit ramps, etc, the tuna can will keep the oil light OFF.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Feb 16 2005, 02:10 PM
Post #23

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE (Brando @ Feb 15 2005, 11:22 PM)
track-only application i'd wager.

huh? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/confused24.gif)

i have one on my engine. it's not lower than the engine bar. seems to work just fine.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Feb 16 2005, 03:38 PM
Post #24

Joseph, did you use a homemade gasket? Or do the stock gaskets and crush washer work?
Hate to take it off to find out I wish I hadn't. Also, the other way around.

Car will be autocrossed regularly, occasional DE, with R tires and 7x15's, so I hope to experience some lateral G's.
+Quote Post
sanman
post Feb 16 2005, 03:50 PM
Post #25

Leaving California

Member No.: 2,219

I have one there is no screen inside but when I took it off it now leaks maby i should have used both gaskets that came with the kit. I will wait till my next oil chang to deal with it
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Feb 16 2005, 04:37 PM
Post #26

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

The standard "sump gasket kit" contains the crush washer plus two gaskets--one for between the screen and the crankcase, one for between the cover and the screen. The "tuna can" does away with the screen (you still have the regular oil filter!) so you only use one of the gaskets.

Torque on the nut (yeah it looks like a bolt but the threads are on the inside, so it's a nut!) is the same as stock: 9.4 lb-ft. Yes, less than ten pound-feet!

The can does not, on my car, hang down as low as the engine bar. I understand that on a Bug (or other rear-engine'd application) it would be much more exposed to damage, but on the 914 it is right around the same fore/aft position as the rear wheels and seems to have zero issues. I have scraped my motor mount bar (!!!) but not the tuna can.

There was a bad batch (or two or more!) out there which had the oil pickup tube extension too long. With that extension, the can would never seal up to the bottom of the crancase, there was something like a 1/4" or 1/8" gap. You can cut material off the bottom end of the extension tube and correct that, but it is probably better to return the faulty parts to the place you bought them from and tell them to get the correct parts from Weltmeister. (Trust me, your retailers have already yelled at WM more than once about this!!)

Sadly, I do not know the lengths of the correct sized extension nor the incorrect-sized one.

--DD
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Feb 16 2005, 05:26 PM
Post #27

Thank you Dave. I think now I know what I need to know.
+Quote Post
Joseph Mills
post Feb 16 2005, 05:28 PM
Post #28

on a Sonoma diet now...

Member No.: 39

QUOTE (Porsche Rescue @ Feb 16 2005, 03:38 PM)
Joseph, did you use a homemade gasket? Or do the stock gaskets and crush washer work?
Hate to take it off to find out I wish I hadn't. Also, the other way around.

Car will be autocrossed regularly, occasional DE, with R tires and 7x15's, so I hope to experience some lateral G's.

I used one of the two gaskets that comes in the kit.

Next time I remove it, I'm going to use a bit of axle grease on the gasket (this works well for my valve covers).

Yeah, put some lateral G's on it and watch the idiot light not come on - but be careful to not run into anything. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

Now that Dave provided the torque specs, I'm gonna see if I tightened mine "properly". Ten pounds is not much...
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 01:20 AM