Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2.2 six for sale, is it worth it?
scrz914
post Feb 16 2005, 12:33 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,960
Region Association: Central California

Would a 2.2 longblock be worth purchasing for $500-$600? It is described as needing a rebuild and comes with only the tin, dizzy, turbo covers. What kind of carbs could be purchased? Would it be better to find a one complete and pay the big $$$$?
This would be for a 914 conversion.
Your thoughts?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
redshift
post Feb 16 2005, 12:38 AM
Post #2

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

I have seen nice complete long blocks, with many, if not all accesories for the 12-1500 range.

M
+Quote Post
scrz914
post Feb 16 2005, 12:48 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 1,960
Region Association: Central California

I'm worried that buying part by part can get out of hand real quick. I can't even find Webers for it. $1,500 for a complete one sounds better.
+Quote Post
skline
post Feb 16 2005, 12:50 AM
Post #4

Born to Drive

Member No.: 17
Region Association: Southern California

There was that one on Ebay that said it needed to be rebuilt and it had carbs already on it for $900. I think I would buy that one if you are going to rebuild anyway. THe carbs alone are worth about a grand.
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Feb 16 2005, 12:51 AM
Post #5

I do things...

Member No.: 1,413
Region Association: Northern California

Tony, I would be very happy for you to have a SIX.
I would keep searching until you find a complete runner.

I'm not sure how much all the rebuild parts cost, but I know all the mechanical work would be very time consuming.

Find a big motor for your 911 and use the donor in your '14. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/cool_shades.gif)

We're going to have fun this year.

KT
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Feb 16 2005, 10:02 AM
Post #6

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif) Find a runner. The engines I usually find are of ones from 911's that get upgraded to 2.7's etc. 2.0's and 2.2's should be plentiful as complete runners. The carbs are too small to use on 2.7's out of the box and the dizzy's are different, so most pulled engines are left intact less exhaust etc. if someone has pulled all the "stuff" off, it would make me wonder why. Engine toast or something? rebuilding a 2.0 or 2.2 isn't really worth it since you can then pick up a used 3.0 at that point. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Feb 16 2005, 11:16 PM
Post #7

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

I agree with Dan that if you want something you can DRIVE anytime soon with minimal time and risk, just find a runner. Buying an engine w/o carbs, manifolds, linkage, flywheel, clutch, and all the other numerous doo-dads can just turn into a time and money sink. PLUS at the end of the day you do not have a configuration that is "known" to work.

Also keep in mind that good condition /6 Webers are well over $1000/pair these days and not terribly easy to find anymore.

Core engines or used longblocks are OK if you plan to do a full rebuild anyway; otherwise I would advise buying an engine that you can either see/hear running in a car, or at least get a pro PPI and leakdown.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 07:07 AM