Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914 Air Conditioning in new car, Should I ?????
mharrison
post Feb 16 2005, 08:39 AM
Post #1

Why do I bother????

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,123

Ok, the new car has air. It looks like all that is missing is the compressor. I think these had VPD and DPD A/C units. How do I figure out what compressor I need? Can I convert this to 134a?

Basically every question you would expect!

Thanks,
Matt
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Feb 16 2005, 08:49 AM
Post #2

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419
Region Association: None

Only really beautiful women are allowed to put A.C. in a 914. Like Salma Hayek for example. She could put A.C. in her 914 and it would be O.K. but you I'm "guessing" are neither a beautiful women nor Salma Hayek so you must immediatly go get a sex change and some plastic surgery or pull the A.C. out of the car and never mention this again!! Did I mention Salma Hayek? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wub.gif) She can have A.C. in her 914 or S.C.O.T.T. in her 914
+Quote Post
bd1308
post Feb 16 2005, 08:52 AM
Post #3

Sir Post-a-lot

Member No.: 3,501

that's extremely random. I want A/C in my car too.
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Feb 16 2005, 08:57 AM
Post #4

rust free you say ?

In all seriousness, have either of you ever driven a 914 with A.C.? It KILLS the engine just as a VW with A.C. did. And unless you replace all of your cockpit seals you will suck half of it out of the cabin before you feel it. Just food for thought, now go forth and prosper ( or persperate).
+Quote Post
bd1308
post Feb 16 2005, 08:59 AM
Post #5

Sir Post-a-lot

no i wish i lived in CA so i could drive a 914 with A/C. I'm not looking to race, but does the compressor like seriously wound a stock 2.0? the car is so small, i could just roll down the windows.
+Quote Post
Kerrys914
post Feb 16 2005, 08:59 AM
Post #6

Dear, the parts I just sold paid for that part ;)

Member No.: 16

It's more work then you think. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/headbang.gif)

You will need to do the following
- Buy a new compressor
- Buy a new drier
- Check the hoses to see if they have been updated (Doubt it so get new hoses)
- Fush the entire system
- Add new oil
- Pull a vac (hope for no leaks) on the system and then charge.

I have A/C in my 914 and it does take the edge off on the 95+ days on the way home. With a new compressor the HP loss is minimal. If your going to AX it I would pass on A/C.

Install WOT switch and quick access on/off switch for the times when you need to kill the compressor to get the 5hp back.

Cheers (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wacko.gif)
+Quote Post
tommy914
post Feb 16 2005, 09:00 AM
Post #7

Life is a journey, enjoy every turn.

Member No.: 1,165

QUOTE (scotty b @ Feb 16 2005, 09:57 AM)
In all seriousness, have either of you ever driven a 914 with A.C.? It KILLS the engine just as a VW with A.C. did. And unless you replace all of your cockpit seals you will suck half of it out of the cabin before you feel it. Just food for thought, now go forth and prosper ( or persperate).

The new Sanden compressors use very little power.

Check ICE AC, they have a new style compressor that will fit.
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Feb 16 2005, 09:03 AM
Post #8

rust free you say ?

Watch where you route your lines too .Lines will sweat when in use and sweaty line + metal = rust. That was a BIG problem with the factory setup. Everywhere the lines were run ended up rusting like the hell hole does.
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Feb 16 2005, 09:34 AM
Post #9

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE (scotty b @ Feb 16 2005, 09:03 AM)
Watch where you route your lines too .Lines will sweat when in use and sweaty line + metal = rust. That was a BIG problem with the factory setup. Everywhere the lines were run ended up rusting like the hell hole does.

Scotty B....

You need to actually own and drive a 914 with AC before you make statements like these. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/slap.gif)

I have (well, my wife has) a 74 1.8L 914 WITH WORKING AC!!! It has been converted to R134A with a compressor kit from IceAC. On a 100 degree day here in Texas it will freeze you out of the car. All I did to the system was replace the lines, the dryer, and install the AC compressor kit. 4.5 years and I have not had to touch it since. It actually cools better than the factory AC in my 95 BMW 540. If you don't believe me, ask Rich Johnson. We drove it to his house one summer on a 100 degree day, and we arrived in cool comfort. The AC system has not caused ANY rust at all. We have more rust in the firewall from a leaky rear window than we do from the AC.

Yes, you can feel the HP that the compressor takes. But with the rotary compressor in the IceAC kit, the loss is minimal. The car can and is driven year round here. We use it for a daily driver.

My opinion. If you want AC, then put it in. I think it's worth it so we can keep driving the car. Otherwise we would have to park it for most of the summer.

+Quote Post
mharrison
post Feb 16 2005, 09:44 AM
Post #10

Why do I bother????

Member No.: 1,123

So here is another question. How much horsepower does it rob when the A/C is not turned on?

Obviously Virginia doesn't get as hot as Mississippi. Rolling the windows down and taking the top off is better than roasting....until you hit a long stop light....

I'm old and I like my A/C. I think it would make me like my teener alot more. My engine is built to about 2.1 or 2.2 liters, so I think it would still manage to pull itself down the road with the air on.

Did anyone here mention autocrossing or high speed chases with the air running? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Feb 16 2005, 09:48 AM
Post #11

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5

The antique HOT ROD crowd has a number of vendors that use all new components. A bit pricey for the hardware but uses the modern gas, barrier hoses and low power compressors....check out a magazine raack near you.

The old style ones, leak gas...that stuff is pricey, robs power due to old crappy compressors that weren't that good when new and clunky fittings and bad installs by the parking lot geeks employed by the dealer...
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Feb 16 2005, 10:00 AM
Post #12

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE (mharrison @ Feb 16 2005, 09:44 AM)
So here is another question. How much horsepower does it rob when the A/C is not turned on?

Obviously Virginia doesn't get as hot as Mississippi. Rolling the windows down and taking the top off is better than roasting....until you hit a long stop light....

I'm old and I like my A/C. I think it would make me like my teener alot more. My engine is built to about 2.1 or 2.2 liters, so I think it would still manage to pull itself down the road with the air on.

Did anyone here mention autocrossing or high speed chases with the air running?  ;)

I never measured it, but it can be felt. But then again, we have a 1.8L that the owner wont let me change out for the 2.0 that is sitting on the garage floor. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/screwy.gif) She likes HER car the way she wants it.

BTW.... for those who care to look.....

The car I am talking about, with the AC installed, won the P3 AX class at Parade last July in both the Mens and Ladies class (she was faster than me).

Charlie Davis gave me a bad time for sitting in the AX staging line with the AC on.... (I don't like sweaty hands on the steering wheel)

Yes, we turned it off for the timed runs.....
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Feb 16 2005, 03:32 PM
Post #13

rust free you say ?

Actually Clay I never disputed the A.C.'s ability to cool the car. My issue lies with the drag on the engine and the rust. I admittedly have only had experience with original equipment on customers cars and have seen the rust problems from sweating lines first hand. In Va. we get very high humidity just as Mississippi does and yes it gets hot here and these combined with compressed refridgerant causes water! That is why I have a 944 for a daily driver and a non A.C. 914 for fun.
+Quote Post
bd1308
post Feb 16 2005, 03:35 PM
Post #14

Sir Post-a-lot

QUOTE (scotty b @ Feb 16 2005, 03:32 PM)
That is why I have a 944 for a daily driver

what price range are those in for a decent runnign crappy looking one? (dont mean to hi-jack this thread)
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Feb 16 2005, 03:49 PM
Post #15

rust free you say ?

I've seen inspected ones as low as 1200.00, but they needed paint, interior etc. Generaly speaking they run around the same price range as 914's. Avoid pre 85.5 : 87 on are the better ones. 85.5 saw a complete redesign of the interior and suspension was MUCH improved, 87 engine was improved. Watch out for the timing belt!! Avoid turbo for daily driver ($$$$$$$) and 87S (hard to get parts for and parts are $$$$$) or you could buy my 924 for $1500.00 running, driving, inspected, 5 bolt phone dials 4wheel disc, 944 tail, polyurethane bushings (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
bd1308
post Feb 16 2005, 04:06 PM
Post #16

Sir Post-a-lot

I wish i had 1500 cash to give you....i just have paycheck after paycheck. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sad.gif) it sucks being in college. while i dont like the 924 back end at all, 1500 for a porsche sounds awesome
+Quote Post
Kerrys914
post Feb 16 2005, 05:20 PM
Post #17

Dear, the parts I just sold paid for that part ;)

Member No.: 16

I had my A/C in my teener when I was in Richmond. It worked just fine. would freeze you out of the car but cold. (I have the original condenser which is the major limiting factor in its cooling ability)

Just protect you holes and you'll be fine. Don't drill you holes and just run you hose..You need to protect the bare metal. If you do that you'll be fine. You should be removing you rocker every year so crap doesn't build up and rust things.

Cheers
Kerry
+Quote Post
airsix
post Feb 16 2005, 06:02 PM
Post #18

I have bees in my epiglotis

Member No.: 266

I'm with Clay. There is absolutely no reason a 914 can't be equiped with AC in a clean and effective manner. You can do anything if you put your mind to it. If rust is a concern there are steps that can be taken to eliminate that problem. If engine cooling is a concern you can likewise take steps to remedy that too. I think the dealer-installs were hack-ish. There's no reason any of us couldn't improve on the design. Sounds like Clay has done a fine job of this. Be a little creative, think it through, and then do it. I have no patients for "can't do it" mentality. Of course you can do it.
It's more work then you think.
Things easily achieved are generally not very rewarding. A clean and functional AC install would be some work, and it would be something to be proud of.
-Ben M.
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Feb 16 2005, 06:10 PM
Post #19

914 Guru

Member No.: 447
Region Association: Southwest Region

dealer jobs were hack jobs for sure, lotsa holes. However, I would think if you could rig up a way to run your condenser (is that the ritght name for the part I am talking about?) in the rear wheelwell with a fan (and prolly a plenum), rather than the front trunk you could have a non-invasive installation, isn't there a 911 aftermarket unit that fits into the rear wheelwell?
+Quote Post
anthony
post Feb 16 2005, 06:22 PM
Post #20

2270 club

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 218

If you want to do this on the cheap get an new Sanden compressor off ebay for $100-150. Get a York to Sanden adaptor or make one if you have a welder. You'll also need an original A/C kit including the fan pulley. You'll also probably want to use a modern condensor and a new drier. Buy fittings and bulk barrier A/C hose and make your own or lay it all out and have an A/C specialty shop crimp the hoses for you.

Figure on $700 to $1500 depending on how cheap you can find a working A/C kit and how cheap you get the rest of the stuff.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 07:09 AM