Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Can't believe my dumb luck!, Received the original documents for my 914
914Next
post Apr 20 2015, 07:30 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,695
Region Association: Upper MidWest

After buying my '73 2.0 I've kept in contact with the original owner, James. A great guy who has answered many of my questions, filled in a few blanks and provided some old pics and a statement of his ownership of the car.

He kept great documents on the car. When I bought it, it had most of the original receipts, the delivery sheet, copy of the original title, manuals, tools...everything except the invoice and window sticker. The original owner said he just didn't even recall having received them but if he did, he somehow misplaced them which was unfortunate since so much about this car shows his great attention to detail.

Fast forward to today....I had sent a note to James yesterday to ask him about the question I had related to the radio faceplate in my car which is a black vinyl instead of the basket weave vinyl. When I sent that note I also included a couple of pics of the car after doing some cleaning and also sent a pic of Sara and I with the car. Again, I thanked him for being such a great caretaker of the 914. James sent a note back thanking me for the pics and confirmed that the radio and faceplate are as they were when he bought it off the showroom in '73.

For reasons I can't explain about fifteen minutes after the first email I got another one from James saying, out of the blue, that he just didn't know why he had not received a window sticker or sales invoice when he bought the car. He mentioned that perhaps business was just done differently then than it is today. BUT...then James told me that he went back through his files and was able to locate the cancelled checks for the deposit and final full payment (no loan) for the car. He sent pics of the checks to me saying he thought I might want them. I couldn't believe it!

And if that isn't enough, while I was firing off a big note of thanks to James I got another email from him saying that he had located 1) the actual window sticker, 2) the purchase order sheet and 3) the invoice. He sent copies of each of them to me and said he'd be happy to send the originals. I couldn't believe it. What are the odds that he would even care to look for them 42 years later and actually find them!

Docs clearly show only two options added by the dealer:
- undercoating for $29.95
- Blaupunct radio for $179. Seems pricey for 1973!

So, forgive me for my excitement. Felt better than Christmas today.

Happy to post pics when I get the originals.

Steve
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
messix
post Apr 20 2015, 07:41 PM
Post #2

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

From: between shit kickers and pinky lifters/ puget sound wa.north of Seattle south of Canada
Member No.: 3,931
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) awesome
+Quote Post
JawjaPorsche
post Apr 20 2015, 07:54 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,351
Region Association: South East States

Radios and undercoating were money makers for the dealers.
+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post Apr 20 2015, 08:14 PM
Post #4

Major Member

Member No.: 2,660

Very cool!

My car also came with all receipts from new. I am the third owner, so after owning it for probably 14 years, I got a wild hair and decided to try to contact the original owner. After 5 minutes on Google, I was leaving him a message. He called me back about 2 weeks later (he is a commercial pilot), and we talked for probably an hour about the car. He had bought it new when he was a cadet in the Air Force Academy, and he kept it until sometime in the '90s. He still remembered a lot of details about the car (dings and so-forth). In honor of him, I have kept an AF parking sticker on the rear window that will never be removed. I told him that if he ever has a layover at CVG, I will come pick him up and let him drive her again.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Apr 20 2015, 08:18 PM
Post #5

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Talk about luck. What do you want to bet that he is just as happy with the car's new owner as you are with the car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) I luckily sold my Pristine Ghia a few month's back to a guy that is richer than ten foot up a pig's ass. I know it's in good hands, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
914Next
post Apr 20 2015, 08:32 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(76-914 @ Apr 20 2015, 10:18 PM) *

Talk about luck. What do you want to bet that he is just as happy with the car's new owner as you are with the car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) I luckily sold my Pristine Ghia a few month's back to a guy that is richer than ten foot up a pig's ass. I know it's in good hands, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I think you're probably right. He's 78 and only sold it because he couldn't keep up with it anymore. I know he hated to let it go so I've tried to make sure he knows it is being appreciated by our family and others.
+Quote Post
914Next
post Apr 20 2015, 08:35 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Apr 20 2015, 10:14 PM) *

Very cool!

My car also came with all receipts from new. I am the third owner, so after owning it for probably 14 years, I got a wild hair and decided to try to contact the original owner. After 5 minutes on Google, I was leaving him a message. He called me back about 2 weeks later (he is a commercial pilot), and we talked for probably an hour about the car. He had bought it new when he was a cadet in the Air Force Academy, and he kept it until sometime in the '90s. He still remembered a lot of details about the car (dings and so-forth). In honor of him, I have kept an AF parking sticker on the rear window that will never be removed. I told him that if he ever has a layover at CVG, I will come pick him up and let him drive her again.

Very cool. I have a '96 porsche that was owned by the former CEO of Grant Steering Wheels. He had a Grant sticker on the side window and I've left it there as a nod to him. He took great care of the car for many years....least I could do.
+Quote Post
db9146
post Apr 20 2015, 08:52 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 3,315
Region Association: None

Congrats Steve. You really have a rare car there. Its great that you have such a complete picture of the car from the start.

we'll have to meet up sometime. Would love to see your car in person. Its beautiful in the pics I've seen.

Dee
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Apr 20 2015, 09:01 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068

My crappy junkyard car came with tons of receipts too. I don't know how they survived, but they did. The guy traded in a '70 Mach I Mustang fastback for a brand new '73 1.7 stripper 914 and they gave him a whopping $700 for it.

He must have wanted a 914 pretty badly.
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Apr 20 2015, 09:28 PM
Post #10

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Sweet score! Those docs will serve you very well if you enter that preservation class. It's a treasure to have that kind of history on the car.
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Apr 20 2015, 09:51 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 17,376

Yeah, it's always fun to have the original paperwork. Excellent find for your car!

The radio price is correct. It was $150 in mine.

[$150 in 1974 = $710.90 in 2014 dollars.]

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
boxsterfan
post Apr 20 2015, 10:00 PM
Post #12

914's are kewl

Member No.: 791
Region Association: Northern California

Mine came with rust. :-/
+Quote Post
VegasRacer
post Apr 20 2015, 10:31 PM
Post #13

ELVIRA

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 481

QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Apr 20 2015, 08:51 PM) *

Yeah, it's always fun to have the original paperwork. The radio price is correct. It was $150 in mine.

[$150 in 1974 = $710.90 in 2014 dollars.]

Half the value of a '68 Dodge Charger. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

+Quote Post
VegasRacer
post Apr 20 2015, 10:32 PM
Post #14

ELVIRA

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 481

Oops. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) double post.
+Quote Post
JawjaPorsche
post Apr 21 2015, 06:13 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,351

Here is my original sales slip. Gave me $350 trade in value on my 68 VW Fastback. Charged me $249 for radio, antenna, and install. Noticed that there are no area codes in front of phone numbers.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
jfort
post Apr 21 2015, 08:08 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 652

I didn't get my first Porsche until 1976 -- a 914-6. I can't remember what I paid for it but the battery tray and hell hole were terrible. I later sold it and bought an older 911. I could put a baby car seat in the back.

Anyway, the invoices in this thread are interesting. A 914 was expensive. I remember buying my first car, a 73 Vette convertible, when I was at the Naval Academy. Bulk purchases meant a good discount. I paid $4,700. It had a sticker price for a little over $6,000.

I also saw a Ferrari Dino for sale in Tampa in about 1976 for $10,000 and wondered who would ever pay that much for that car. But then, I sold a '73 911S not that long ago for $13,000. Not too bright......
+Quote Post
914Next
post Apr 21 2015, 08:40 AM
Post #17

Waiting for the originals to arrive in the mail but here are the docs the original owner is sending to me along with copies of the cancelled checks. Agree these old docs are very fun to read.

Attached Image Attached ImageAttached Image
+Quote Post
green914
post Apr 21 2015, 10:06 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 12,874
Region Association: Northern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) cool!
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Apr 21 2015, 10:27 AM
Post #19

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Member No.: 7,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

It is nice to have all the original paperwork, however I feel I should pass on what I learned @ the last Okteenerfest. Having all the original paperwork resting in a folder in the back trunk is convenient, but useless if you're "AFC", looking @ other teeners. After the results of the peoples choice were announced I had to think about what I could have done different to get noticed, to get more attention. Going AFC is a big mistake, no matter how pretty or interesting the other cars there are. Also helps to have the paperwork on display, for easy viewing. Since last fall I removed all my paperwork from said folder & framed it all in one big poster frame, that I keep in my rear trunk. Next time I do a show out it will come to rest on an easel & me right next to it in my chair to answer any & all questions. No matter how nice the car is, it still comes down to marketing & presentation.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 21 2015, 10:41 AM
Post #20

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181

QUOTE(914Next @ Apr 21 2015, 06:40 AM) *

Waiting for the originals to arrive in the mail but here are the docs the original owner is sending to me along with copies of the cancelled checks. Agree these old docs are very fun to read.

Attached Image Attached ImageAttached Image

Great trove Steve!

Many dealers then, now & in between only gave the buyer window stickers if they asked for it! That happened to me with my 85 BMW 325e (which I still own) that I got when my 914 was crunched in May 85 & the then "soon to be wife" said that I need a car with a back seat for the kids we'll be having, but since it started off on a 3 yr. lease - they didn't bother to even ask me about the sticker, since I wasn't technically the owner (GE Capital as lessor had that honor).

It's a good idea to email some better quality pix of these docs. & your COA to Jeff Bowlsby to add to his database on these docs at his Classic 914 website.

If you compare your COA & this window sticker, you'll see that NONE of the "N/C" Options listed on the Mulroney window sticker are listed on your COA - even though they are clearly listed as options on the Mulroney above & included in the base price.

This is one of many flaws in PCNA's questionable COA program - not listing the "included options" (N/C ones) on the COAs - along with staff who don't bother to correctly research the option codes, color codes, etc. for the era of P-cars & other rampant errors on the COAs (BTW the VW COA on my 88 Westy was correct the 1st time for 1/2 the Porsche COA price which took 3 tries & only corrected on the 3rd cuz I called the PCNA Customer Care GM!).

It happens on almost all of their special models - including the 914LEs (which at least have an optional paint code to identify them), 911RS, etc., etc. - which IMHO is a pretty stupid policy or procedure. They could at least include their own model code # on them (473644 on your window sticker) to show that they included certain options/groups in the standard equipment fitment.

That's what got me into heavily researching the " '914S' options included package" of your & my era 914-2.0 models, so that I could do a proper & complete restoration, since it had had several options "stripped" by the dealer when I bought mine from the original owner in Dec `75 - including: the fog lights/grills/dash switch, Fuchs 2L alloys changed out for Rivieras & a steel spare, & the center console/3-gauges removed for another 914 buyer - which the OO didn't mind since it gave extra 3rd passenger legroom for the owners 2 kids (3rd kid on the way was why they sold it). I never did confirm if the OO paid full price for their "914S" missing on their car from these clever dealer thefts!

Without the window sticker & since PCNA couldn't even get the interior color code correct - let alone the options list & no model # (Jeff's website provided copies of the interior color codes to force PCNA to correct their error), I literally had no way to prove out what was originally on my 8/31/72 build 2.0L.

When Rick Perkins the PCNA Western Regional Service Manager (whom I've known since the 1970s at Iverson, Circle & Rusnick Porsche+Audi dealerships out here in SoCal) came out to confirm that my 914 never got the mandated NHTSA Recalls - HO (fuel lines & full battery cover) & BO (wrong non-hub-centric alloy wheels), he suggested using the Porsche+Audi "914S" sales literature & related documentation to "prove out" that the options would've been included before the selling dealer had "stripped" them for sale on another 914. I could show him the wheels & the cut foglight wires & hole in the dash/face-material where they once had the "missing options"

He also said that the dealerships where he worked could swap full interiors of 2 side-by-side 914s in under 45 mins. if a customer wanted a different than factory interior color, & suggested getting a copy of the old dealer option book with the codes to send to PCNA's COA staff - ergo my going to Jeff's website for that documentation, which the COA staff & supervisor still refused to correct until I called their GM. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

He also confirmed that it was common for the dealers to steal/swap the alloy spare for a steel wheel & then sell of 4 "stolen" spares as a full set at 100% profit on the parts side! He said the dealership owners/bosses called it "stripping the spares" & Chick Iverson in Newport Beach was notorious for doing it on both 914s & 911s/912s - as well as on the Audis!

Also on the radio/face-material - the VWoA optional Motorola Radios/Stereos were about 1/2 - 3/4s the cost of the German Blaupuncts & just as good a unit - if not better sound quality back then, so most 914 buyers went with them, as did my OO for the Motorola made AM/FM/8-Track (I've seen these on other 1972-73 dealer invoices at $95 IIRC) - which did have the basketweave pattern hard plastic surround to match the dashface material included in the radio/installation kit.

My guess is that the selling dealer on yours just used some of the dashface/seat insert/door panel basketweave material that they had on hand for customer car repairs to do your install for the OO, if that radio in yours didn't come with or "lost" it's molded plastic dashplate radio surround.

So now you're all fitted out with full factory & dealer documentation for your Parade CdE adventure! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:19 AM