Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Christmas in April, Subaru 2.5 NA SOHC 2003 Impreza TS with 5MT Transmission
R_u_dd
post Apr 22 2015, 06:58 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,072
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

After long deliberation and a lot of research on my Subaru Conversion, I received this engine transmission combination in the mail from Alberta, BC. It's a Naturally aspirated SOHC Subaru 2.5 litre out of an Impreza TS (2003) with 118K miles. I was able to get the transmission and ecu from the same car. The tranny is a 5mt with hydraulic clutch.

I tried the donor car approach on Copart and kept getting outbid for what I wanted to pay. In the end I went direct on ebay so I could get the exact engine year I wanted and I did not have a hulk sitting in the driveway for the neighbors to look at. I paid more than I wanted ($1,574 with shipping) to but in the end , you get what you pay for.

Related Threads: Decision to Subarize or not to Subarize

Engine Choices

Poll on Best Engine Choices

The plan is to change the head gaskets, check the condition of the clutch, and convert the transmission to front wheel drive. Any other suggestions on the engine? Anyone know it that's a push or pull style clutch? Looks like a push from the photo.

Ian, I will be needing your help once you are up and running.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1301.photobucket.com-17072-1429707522.1.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1301.photobucket.com-17072-1429707522.2.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1301.photobucket.com-17072-1429707522.3.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1301.photobucket.com-17072-1429707522.4.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1301.photobucket.com-17072-1429707522.5.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1301.photobucket.com-17072-1429707522.6.jpg)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Apr 22 2015, 03:38 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Looks great. That's not a bad deal really if it included shipping. The timing belt is probably due...It's not hard. If you're doing the head gaskets you have to take it off anyway. Might as well replace it.

That looks like a push clutch to me, just like mine. BTW don't be fooled into thinking you need to match the clutch MC and slave sizes. You have a 3/4 slave...but you DO NOT want a 3/4 master unless you have really strong legs (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) . Kent and I have already learned that one. 5/8 is the way to go. We used Honda Civic MC's. The 3/4 master was too stiff.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Apr 22 2015, 03:48 PM
Post #3

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

Nice score...I have to quit looking at all of the Subaru and Weber threads...makes me want to combine the 2....!
+Quote Post
Bob L.
post Apr 22 2015, 04:00 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 13,411
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(Mueller @ Apr 22 2015, 04:48 PM) *

Nice score...I have to quit looking at all of the Subaru and Weber threads...makes me want to combine the 2....!

Everyone knows you can't "weberize" a Suby. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif)
+Quote Post
JRust
post Apr 22 2015, 04:25 PM
Post #5

914 Guru

Member No.: 129

I have my clutch cable running around the back & up, So didn't use the hydrolic setup at all. Works just fine for mine with the NA 2.5 SOHC. If you don't plan to use the a/c I'd be interested in your compressor & mount (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) . Good score overall on the drivetrain. They are a great setup in a 914 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
R_u_dd
post Apr 22 2015, 05:13 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(JRust @ Apr 22 2015, 03:25 PM) *

I have my clutch cable running around the back & up, So didn't use the hydrolic setup at all. Works just fine for mine with the NA 2.5 SOHC. If you don't plan to use the a/c I'd be interested in your compressor & mount (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) . Good score overall on the drivetrain. They are a great setup in a 914 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

I'd like to see a picture of your cable to clutch setup. Do you have the original pedal cluster as well? I would assume that if Subaru went to hydraulic, it would be smoother and take less force to make it work? Probably a lot more complicated though.

PM me about the AC compressor.
+Quote Post
R_u_dd
post Apr 22 2015, 05:17 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Apr 22 2015, 02:38 PM) *

Looks great. That's not a bad deal really if it included shipping. The timing belt is probably due...It's not hard. If you're doing the head gaskets you have to take it off anyway. Might as well replace it.

That looks like a push clutch to me, just like mine. BTW don't be fooled into thinking you need to match the clutch MC and slave sizes. You have a 3/4 slave...but you DO NOT want a 3/4 master unless you have really strong legs (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) . Kent and I have already learned that one. 5/8 is the way to go. We used Honda Civic MC's. The 3/4 master was too stiff.

How did you make the hydraulic clutch work with the pedal cluster?

So, timing belt, head gaskets, water pump. Anything else? I will probably take a chance that I won't need a rebuild.
+Quote Post
JRust
post Apr 22 2015, 05:34 PM
Post #8

914 Guru

Member No.: 129

Basically turned it into a pull with it looping around back. Then a bracket the cable bolts too. From there just through the clutch fork & uses the stock pedal cluster. It is a little on the stiff side. That can be changed with a little bigger throw on the arm. Hydrolic is a great way to go. I'd considered changing that out when I upgrade to my WRX turbo motor (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
worn
post Apr 22 2015, 06:07 PM
Post #9

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152

So, its a white Christmas here. Snow flurries past two days. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
R_u_dd
post Apr 22 2015, 06:50 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(worn @ Apr 22 2015, 05:07 PM) *

So, its a white Christmas here. Snow flurries past two days. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Spring weather here. Wish we had more snow though. We are going to have some bad fires this summer.
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Apr 22 2015, 08:54 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 73

QUOTE(R_u_dd @ Apr 22 2015, 06:17 PM) *

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Apr 22 2015, 02:38 PM) *

How did you make the hydraulic clutch work with the pedal cluster?

So, timing belt, head gaskets, water pump. Anything else? I will probably take a chance that I won't need a rebuild.

Nah...HIGHLY unlikely you'd need a rebuild at 118k for a N/A engine. My EG33 has 140k on it and it's 20 years old. Runs like a steed. No smoke, burns no oil. I resealed my whole engine but it's a lot older than yours. The valve covers were leaking and so was the oil pan. I'm not an expert on the EJ25 but check the condition of the seals and see if you see any leaks. Looks pretty damn clean from here. It's as obvious as a Type 4 if there's a leak.

Re: the clutch setup, IMHO it would be just as hard or harder to fab a cable setup than to do a hydraulic since you have a push clutch and already have the slave in place. I can't take credit for my setup because Kent (76-914) really did the hard work. He made a plate for the pedal cluster which allowed us to mount the Honda Civic Master on the other side of the brake master. Then we just used the stock clutch arm and connected it to the MC, actuating it the opposite way that the cable does. Then we just ran the hydraulic line through the clutch tube (it fits perfectly), and right to the slave cylinder. I can tell you the part #s once you get to that point. Use Aeroquip hose and fittings...it worked well for us. Kent measured the plate and the measurements are in his build thread.

Take a look at this, starting with post 486 which explains how we started with the 3/4 and then went to the Honda setup.

Kent's build thread

If you decide to go this way let me know and I can tell you exactly what we ended up using for the reservoir, MC, hoses, fittings, etc.
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Apr 22 2015, 10:13 PM
Post #12

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Bob L. @ Apr 22 2015, 03:00 PM) *

Everyone knows you can't "weberize" a Suby. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif)

Or why anyone would WANT to:

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i53.photobucket.com-2618-1429762429.1.jpg)

+Quote Post
Stacks914
post Apr 22 2015, 10:17 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 18,582
Region Association: None

Nice man are you fabricating your own engine cradle?
+Quote Post
R_u_dd
post Apr 23 2015, 12:09 AM
Post #14

QUOTE(Stacks914 @ Apr 22 2015, 09:17 PM) *

Nice man are you fabricating your own engine cradle?

I would rather not fab the cradle. I like Ian's design if I can get one from him. The smallcar design is also good. A little cheaper but looks like it needs more work because it's designed for a vanagan. The other possibility is renegade hybrids but I'm not sure what their cradle looks like.

Not sure I trust my welding and fabricating skills to make my own. I could see myself driving down the road some day and the engine falls out the back...
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Apr 23 2015, 12:58 AM
Post #15

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

The cable setup that jrust and rnellums have is really pretty slick and requires less fab work than the hydraulic setup, but if you're already halfway there... Another idea since you're replacing the head gaskets is to tear the heads down and do a little good ol' fashioned porting work. Port matching, unshrouding valve pockets and removing unneeded casting flashing all adds up to one of the cheapest bang for buck mods you can do, especially since you're over half way there. Shop around the good engine shops for price or maybe a talented friend who gets really thirsty now and then. Worth the effort in my mind!
+Quote Post
R_u_dd
post Apr 23 2015, 07:58 AM
Post #16

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Apr 22 2015, 11:58 PM) *

The cable setup that jrust and rnellums have is really pretty slick and requires less fab work than the hydraulic setup, but if you're already halfway there... Another idea since you're replacing the head gaskets is to tear the heads down and do a little good ol' fashioned porting work. Port matching, unshrouding valve pockets and removing unneeded casting flashing all adds up to one of the cheapest bang for buck mods you can do, especially since you're over half way there. Shop around the good engine shops for price or maybe a talented friend who gets really thirsty now and then. Worth the effort in my mind!

Thanks for the advice. I am guessing that porting increases airflow and horsepower. How much is the question? Might as well put some headers on as well.
+Quote Post
AndyB
post Apr 23 2015, 11:01 AM
Post #17

The Governor is watching me

Member No.: 11,595
Region Association: North East States

Nice score. I never got out bid on erepairables. That's probably why there was no competition. My only engine upgrade will br the dames since I also have the SOHC.

Andy
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Apr 23 2015, 01:37 PM
Post #18

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Apr 23 2015, 12:13 AM) *

QUOTE(Bob L. @ Apr 22 2015, 03:00 PM) *

Or why anyone would WANT to:

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i53.photobucket.com-2618-1429762429.1.jpg)

I would quickly step up to that challenge.

I wonder how well they run off just webers....

If I go this subaru way (Mike) I am going turbo....I dont see any fun in not doing a turbo....

rich
+Quote Post
Bob L.
post Apr 23 2015, 03:10 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 13,411
Region Association: Southwest Region

[/quote]

....I dont see any fun in not doing a turbo....

rich
[/quote]

Even if it's a -6?
+Quote Post
R_u_dd
post Apr 24 2015, 09:35 AM
Post #20

[quote name='Bob L.' date='Apr 23 2015, 02:10 PM' post='2177810']
[/quote]

....I dont see any fun in not doing a turbo....

rich
[/quote]

Even if it's a -6?
[/quote]

From what I have read 165 hp is a nice balance of power for the 914. I considered a 6, but for a number of resasons decided to go with the 2.5 NA. There's lots of options down the road I might try later.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 10:01 AM