Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Family Car, Making progress for reveal at the family Christmas!!
Mr.Nobody
post Apr 23 2015, 12:00 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,557
Region Association: Southern California

Hello 914World!!!!

Thanks for letting me stalk your forums but I guess it's time to pipe up!!

First off, I'm sure you guys know it but what a killer resource this place is. I already met a few of your members a few weeks ago and they were nothing less than phenomenal representatives of this community.

Second, My grandfather bought this 1972 1.7 liter brand new off the lot. It really was the possession he purchased for himself when he had finally made it. He's had it since and it's his pride and joy.

I was born in 1982. Ever since I can remember the car has been in my life. Cruising topless was amazing when I was a kid. I can remember playing in the car, racing, chasing robbers, flying spaceships even. And so can every one of my cousins. It's an integral part of my family.

A number of years ago he told me one day it would be mine. I was the one in the family chosen to take car of it when he was gone.

Well, sure enough, he decided to give it to me early. I picked it up the other day with my wife, and my dad. Together we trailered it back home. It's been a little neglected over the recent years understandably due to his age, but honestly it's about as close as one can get to a one owner, never wrecked, (almost) rust free 914. And to me it's priceless.

Hope you guys like the pics, I'll have more in the future as I start making headway, but for now, I'm reading up. Lots of reading (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i33.photobucket.com-18557-1429768801.1.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i33.photobucket.com-18557-1429768802.2.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i33.photobucket.com-18557-1429768802.3.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i33.photobucket.com-18557-1429768803.4.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i33.photobucket.com-18557-1429768803.5.jpg)

I plan to keep it a streetable ride with much better performance. No cage or nothing, but it will get a new suspension and brakes amongst a host of other items. The interior will be kept oem looking with some modern comfort.

I know a lot of people hold the notion of restoring it to stock. There's definitely a value in that, but it's not for this car.

The truth with this car is that it's not original paint, lots of parts have been swapped, and the cost to go full oem original would be astronomical. I will not be selling the car ever and my wife knows and she agrees with that decision. The car will be built for our liking and for the joy of my family when I bring it to family events. Everyone in the family agrees that the 914 was always lacking a little something. I plan to give it that. The car will remain relatively tame and stock looking, no chopped windshield, cage, etc. However it's going to get upgrades in the power, suspension, brakes departments.

The interior will be cleaned up and returned to close to stock. Radio removed, stock seats etc.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading and I look forward to seeing you on the forums to pick your brains, and out on the road! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
RAX914
post Apr 23 2015, 12:30 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 17,801
Region Association: None

Welcome, nice car!

But with the front bumper tits and the center console, are you sure it's not a '73? I have a '72 as well, so those items stuck out to me.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Apr 23 2015, 12:36 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 17,376

Wow... congrats.... what a great story!!

If your gramps is OK with it, I'd take off those side bumper guards.... kinda ruins the profile a bit... but a minor gripe.

The car looks like a beauty, and the back-story is great... enjoy!

I'm often in Coronado and will keep an eye out for it.
+Quote Post
type47fan
post Apr 23 2015, 12:41 AM
Post #4

It Looks Better In Person. . .

Member No.: 1,170

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) Welcome Andy!

I'm happy that your first impressions of the 914WORLD have been positive.

Your ideas about the vision you have for YOUR car are very similar to 95% of the members here. It's yours and you get to make, live with, and enjoy the results of your work.

You'll have access to the resources and experience of the community. It's always amazed me to see, and experience, the level of interest and support that is offered freely here.

My first 914 was a '72.

My wife also enjoyed driving it.

Enjoy!

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mr.Nobody
post Apr 23 2015, 12:54 AM
Post #5

Funny, you guys picked up on two of my major gripes with the car.

I can't stand the "bumper tits." Never liked them, they'll be going away.

The car is definitely a 72. Build date is actually 12/71. There was an ossue years ago with the bumpers and they were replaced. The center console I'm sure was added for convenience as well.

The side bumpers kill me to. I much prefer the smooth look. I'd love to pull them today, but I'm not sure if there are holes under them for the mounting. I'd hate
to pull them off and find out I now have 15 tiny holes along the sides of the car. Anyone know if I'm correct?
+Quote Post
Mr.Nobody
post Apr 23 2015, 12:56 AM
Post #6

Wayne your 72 was awesome!! Love the color.

Cuda, although I live in Coronado, the car itself is actually stored in Fallbrook. More room to work, secure garage, etc.
+Quote Post
rktmn247
post Apr 23 2015, 01:19 AM
Post #7

Irish Green with GT envy!

Member No.: 4,612
Region Association: None

You are very lucky and that is a great story! Welcome to the World!
+Quote Post
Mr.Nobody
post Apr 23 2015, 01:48 AM
Post #8

Another thing I noticed when I was tinkering. My family remembers the car as always having a Porsche crest. They has no idea it wasn't a “factory” item.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i33.photobucket.com-18557-1429775300.1.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i33.photobucket.com-18557-1429775300.2.jpg)

Looks legit from the dealer to me. Any one else have any input?

Sorry for the gigantic pics. Unsure how to resize in photobucket.
+Quote Post
Big Len
post Apr 23 2015, 03:15 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 16,126
Region Association: Southwest Region

Great story. Far more than a nice car, it's a family heirloom. Best of luck.
+Quote Post
JawjaPorsche
post Apr 23 2015, 04:04 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,351
Region Association: South East States

Anyone that owns at 914 is NOT a Nobody!

Some dealers would install the crest if owner wanted it. Pretty sure that side molding was installed with holes drilled in the side. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

My input: your awesome 914 would look better if rockers and gravel pans were painted black.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
Bulldog9
post Apr 23 2015, 05:36 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 16,283
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Great story! This is the kind of story we all hope to have.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Apr 23 2015, 07:08 AM
Post #12

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) Wonderful story and it is terrific that the car stays in the family with someone to carry one caring for and loving it. Yeah, I bet the body side strips are riveted to the car- that is the way those were done back in the day.

I like the idea of upgrading the performance aspects yet keeping the appearance mostly stock. You have to do what it is you want to keep the car enjoyable.

As you have already figured out, take your time and prioritize your projects so as to not get overwhelmed and have the car in pieces. This is the best car site you will ever find and there are tons of seriously talented people here to address any concern you may have.

I would have never made it this far with my car without the terrific people here who are always willing to help.

Best wishes and have fun - Oh, and post some more pictures of the car please.
+Quote Post
Mr.Nobody
post Apr 23 2015, 07:34 AM
Post #13

Haha, the Nobody thing is a running joke. If you can't laugh at yourself, how can you make fun of others? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

Bummer about the rivets, I kind of figured that. Unfortunately 3m hasn't ben around all that long.

I've already begun making lists of what to tackle. All together, it's a LOT of work and extremely overwhelming. When looked at in sections and over time, it's manageable.

I'll have more photos soon. Need to start ordering some parts soon. I have a bit of travel coming up. It'd be nice to come home to boxes of parts. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/red914.jpg)

+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Apr 23 2015, 07:36 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,527
Region Association: South East States

Welcome to the madness! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
struckn
post Apr 23 2015, 07:40 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 13,764
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

Car looks great......leave the side molding until, if ever, you are going to repaint the entire car. Concentrate on any mechanical issues or upgrades, take your time and enjoy driving it.

I have a 69 Chevy Pickup truck that my Dad bought new and know that it will remain in the family as long as it runs and is safe to pass on. It's value is priceless!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

+Quote Post
76-914
post Apr 23 2015, 08:00 AM
Post #16

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

Congrats. You look like a very happy man in those pic's. Apparently your Gramps knew the "right" grandchild to receive his Threasure. Look for ward to your post's on it. I'm over the hill in Temecula if you need help, on day. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) Kent
+Quote Post
aharder
post Apr 23 2015, 08:02 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,524

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) Your going to enjoy this madness !!
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Apr 23 2015, 08:15 AM
Post #18

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156

Great looking car to start with. I think the door bumper strips have to be pushed forward or backwards to slide off the clips. The clips are riveted tied on. Check with a body shop or google to be sure. Will be watching the restoration.
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Apr 23 2015, 08:22 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068

What a great legacy your grandfather gave you. It looks like he customized things a bit, but it's nothing that can't be fixed/changed back.

At least it gives you a lot to do as far as making it "your" car. Good luck, and (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Apr 23 2015, 08:31 AM
Post #20

The Aircooledtech Guy

Member No.: 9,730
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Sweet ride with an awesome family history behind it!! Congrats on the great car!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2024 - 10:43 PM