Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cleaning tunnel tubes...
SKL1
post Apr 25 2015, 08:03 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,732
Region Association: Upper MidWest

In troubleshooting a binding throttle cable, after removing the old cable I was trying to fish the new Terry cable thru the tunnel tube and it kept getting caught up about 2 1/2- 3 feet in towards the front. Could fish a stiff wire through fine but the bigger threaded end would not go past that point. Could also get the old cable end back thru but the new one must be slightly bigger diameter and will NOT go. Looking thru the little holes by the shifter and heater lever (which is removed anyway as I'm not using a heater) I can't really see the tubes anyway so can't see from the front if something is partially blocking it.
I remember helping my son clean the SAI ports on his 993 with an old bicycle brake cable and a power drill and wondered if I fish something like that through it may clean something out left from the restoration and painting. Since I'm not using tubes from the heater cables I thought about using one of those but the flared ends don't fit the throttle cable end that well.

Any ideas of what to use on a drill etc to "clean" things out?? I don't want to destroy another cable trying to "force" it through...

This throttle linkage project is going to be the end of me... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Apr 25 2015, 08:07 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Maybe an old fat guitar string? I'm sure there's plenty available at your local music store... How long do you need it to be?
+Quote Post
SKL1
post Apr 25 2015, 08:08 PM
Post #3

Attached Image Attached Image

not 914 content, but thought it was worth seeing- PCA event today at shop who did the restoration on my '73. Pre A split windshield- I think the tires on my bicycle are wider!!
+Quote Post
McMark
post Apr 25 2015, 08:15 PM
Post #4

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

Was there any welding in that area?

I just had to cut the tube out of a car and replace it because of a stuck cable. My biggest advice, think long and hard about how to backtrack from any step. Ive heard of multiple 'fixes' that can leave you worse off if they fail.
+Quote Post
SKL1
post Apr 25 2015, 08:40 PM
Post #5

I remember seeing an image of the tubes exposed to show what they look like but search didn't help. Anyone have that??
+Quote Post
dangrouche
post Apr 25 2015, 08:47 PM
Post #6

dangrouche

Member No.: 2,012

I guess you need to determine that your tube is nice and clean. push a copper 12 or 14 gauge copper wire from the rear to the front. once you have determined you have a clear path, then you can try this technique: By hand, push and rotate the new cable in a clockwise direction. Perform the push and turning simultaneously. I had a GEMO brand accelerator cable that I had a hard time installing until I did the push/twirl technique. A small spray of WD40 on the head of the cable also helped let the cable ease forward. let us know how it works out
+Quote Post
76-914
post Apr 25 2015, 08:53 PM
Post #7

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Push it till it stops then lightly pull back on it, then twist it slightly while gently pushing and it should slip thru.
+Quote Post
altitude411
post Apr 25 2015, 08:59 PM
Post #8

I drove my 6 into a tree

Member No.: 17,932
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(SKL1 @ Apr 25 2015, 08:40 PM) *

I remember seeing an image of the tubes exposed to show what they look like but search didn't help. Anyone have that??

That split window is beautiful (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)
If you want pictures of the inside of the tunnel Google is your friend...search { tunnel Porsche 914} select images (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...nter_tunnel.htm
(Thanks Dave)
+Quote Post
Socalandy
post Apr 25 2015, 09:08 PM
Post #9

Its got to be Yellow!!!

Member No.: 10,742
Region Association: Southern California

pics when my pans were being replaced

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Apr 25 2015, 09:41 PM
Post #10

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

Get a steel fish tape. These are made for pulling electrical wires through conduit.

Cut a 8' section off the reel. Place one end in a drill motor. Get a friend to help. put on gloves and take the loose end and push it into the tube. Have the friend start the drill motor while pushing forward. You will corral the fish tape with your hands to keep it from flopping all over the place.

The spinning fish tape will loosen debris from the tube. If it binds, back it out and slowly move forward again. Once you get the fish all the way to the throttle pedal, pull it out and blow the tube with compressed air.

If the fish tape will not go through, you may have more than debris and may have to cut and weld.

Many times, the hard plastic sheath will break off chunks in the tube and prevent new cable installation.

Tip: When cutting the fish tape, bend over the end of the remaining tape or it will unwind like a clock spring inside the carrier.

Attached Image
$7.99 at Harbor Freight
http://www.harborfreight.com/50-ft-fish-tape-38156.html
+Quote Post
Jeff Hail
post Apr 25 2015, 10:33 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 7,712

Clean the tube out first. Some cables had liners that disintegrate and pieces get stuck in the tube.

If it still wont pass through -

Sounds like its hanging up at the bend under the floor crossmember.
A trick I learned twenty something years ago.... cut a 1/16 or 1/8 inch off the threads on the pedal end of the cable. Put a nut on it first to chase the threads/ debur after trimming.

The crimped section on the usual suspect aftermarket cables is a little fatter and sometimes longer than the factory cables and hangs up at the tube bend not wanting to make the turn.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Apr 25 2015, 10:36 PM
Post #12

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

I have also heard of people grinding off the corners of the ferule on the end of the throttle cable to let it fit through the tube a little more easily.

--DD
+Quote Post
Mr.242
post Apr 26 2015, 12:01 AM
Post #13

May your glass be smaller so it's always FULL!

Member No.: 9,160
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Perhaps you can get a small caliber gun cleaning kit with a flexible shaft that you can push/pull the small brass brush into the and through the tube? Putting it on your drill to spin as you press it in...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Apr 26 2015, 06:16 AM
Post #14

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

I would take a air compressor and see if i could blow the problem out in either direction. You will need it cranked up to at least a 100 psi. Might be stuck in one direction.
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Apr 26 2015, 08:03 AM
Post #15

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

QUOTE(Jeff Hail @ Apr 26 2015, 12:33 AM) *

The crimped section on the usual suspect aftermarket cables is a little fatter and sometimes longer than the factory cables and hangs up at the tube bend not wanting to make the turn.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

A good tool for tube cleaning is a 1/8" dia steel welding rod hammered flat on one end and shaped like a spade drill.
+Quote Post
Mblizzard
post Apr 26 2015, 09:35 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,438
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Apr 26 2015, 06:03 AM) *

QUOTE(Jeff Hail @ Apr 26 2015, 12:33 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

A good tool for tube cleaning is a 1/8" dia steel welding rod hammered flat on one end and shaped like a spade drill.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Exactly what I had to do. Took a long time to get all of the stuff out but it works.
+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post Apr 26 2015, 10:36 AM
Post #17

Ski Bum

Member No.: 128

I had the exact same problem on my 75! I ended up measuring the point the cable stopped and found that at the exact point inside the tunnel was a weld that had blown through the inside of the tunnel. I ground off the top of the tube next to the weld and used a screw driver to bend the bad metal out of the way. I left the tube open and I can now see the wire moving freely through the tube.
+Quote Post
worn
post Apr 26 2015, 03:01 PM
Post #18

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152

QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Apr 26 2015, 09:36 AM) *

I had the exact same problem on my 75! I ended up measuring the point the cable stopped and found that at the exact point inside the tunnel was a weld that had blown through the inside of the tunnel. I ground off the top of the tube next to the weld and used a screw driver to bend the bad metal out of the way. I left the tube open and I can now see the wire moving freely through the tube.

I cut through a tube accidentally and swaged a copper sort of bullet onto steel cable as a backer for weld repair. The idea is that if you do weld, you need a copper backing. Or low penetration of the weld.
The spade bit also works and if properly attached can work on a flex cable.
But Dave is right. You need to know how the sucker is coming back out. No matter what.
Good luck!
+Quote Post
HarveyH
post Apr 26 2015, 03:15 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 843

What Dave said!
I seem to have heard that sometimes there is a slight ovaling of the tubing where it is bent, or that the crimping is slightly larger than the original cables.
Attached Image

A few minutes gently filing.

Harvey
+Quote Post
SKL1
post Apr 26 2015, 08:18 PM
Post #20

Now I remember I saw those images at pelican! Looking at those pix it is probably binding at that slight turn near the level of the shift lever.

I've already tried compressed air and lots of WD40 so some of these other ideas sound promising.

Thanks for the suggestions!
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 01:59 PM