Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The joy was short lived...got it working, Oil pressure = 60 but have leak
DavidSweden
post May 18 2015, 10:57 AM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,452
Region Association: Scandinavia

QUOTE(rjames @ May 18 2015, 08:45 AM) *

Yup- gearbox is fairly easy to remove by itself. Pelican has an excellent writeup on how to do it as part of their '914 clutch replacement' tech article.

LInk

Thanks, appreciate it
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
r_towle
post May 18 2015, 11:05 AM
Post #42

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Phoenix914 @ May 18 2015, 12:45 PM) *

So, what was the problem? Do you think there was any damage done, or still not sure?

seriously, what was the problem?
+Quote Post
DavidSweden
post May 18 2015, 03:19 PM
Post #43

QUOTE(r_towle @ May 18 2015, 09:05 AM) *

QUOTE(Phoenix914 @ May 18 2015, 12:45 PM) *

So, what was the problem? Do you think there was any damage done, or still not sure?

seriously, what was the problem?

Well I made a major mistake while pulling the oil gallery plugs. just before I was about to drill a hole in one of the plugs the phone rang and my wife started going on about what I was going to cook for dinner etc. After I got off the phone I suffered a complete meltdown in concentration and drilled into the case in the wrong place (entirely my fault). I drilled one of the plugs located on the side of the case by the passage for the oil relief piston. I realised the mistake immediately although I was not aware at that point of the consequences. To cut a long story short I drilled out the case threaded the hole and inserted a metal plug. As the relief piston was not installed I did not realize that the plug was too long and stopped the piston from seating in the closed position.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1300.photobucket.com-17452-1431983973.1.jpg)
This picture was taken after I had removed the engine to find the cause of the problem, the oil relief piston is clearly visible. Yes I do feel pretty stupid but I guess shit happens.

I installed a shorter plug so the piston is now free to travel. The engine fires up no problem and as I said I have 60 psi at cold idle dropping to 20 when warm. I just hope the cam and bearings are ok. I will take the car for a drive during the week and see how it feels. During the rebuild the flywheel seal did not go in straight so I tapped on the other side and got it square (I thought). I now have a steady drip from the observation slot under the fly wheel.
I plan to replace the seal if the engine runs ok. I will gladly take advice regarding the correct procure for installing the seal so I get it right this time
The engine build has been a painful as well as educational experience....I guess you would call it learning by doing. Hopefully my next build will be better.

And thanks to everyone who has taken the time to help me out, I do appreciate it.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post May 18 2015, 07:15 PM
Post #44

Custom Member

Thank you, it's always good to learn something.
Never talk to the wife while working on an engine, check
+Quote Post
Jmkorfha
post May 19 2015, 06:04 PM
Post #45

I'm not a singing grandpa.

Member No.: 16,569
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Back in 1982 i just got done with a complete rebuild on my 73 1.7 litre. Everything was new, reground crank, new cam, all new bearings, the works. As I was finishing up, I installed the new oil filter and thought it felt "wierd" as I tightened it. Drove it for a couple days when I noticed the oil light was brighter. I parked at the drugstore and looked under the engine. No filter. After installing a new filter and oil, everything worked fine. Good power, good oil pressure. The only thing that bothered me was that faint noc noc noc sound they all make when running. Turns out I had driven for about 2 miles without the filter.
It bothered me so much that the next year I ordered new crank, rod, and cam bearings and tore it down.
All the bearings looked perfect. There was no damage whatsoever. I replaced them anyway and re-installed the engine. It sounded and ran the same.
I know my story is not the same as yours, but if I was in your shoes, I would drive it and wait to see if something turns up. Sometimes what we imagine could happen is worse than what really does.
+Quote Post
DavidSweden
post May 20 2015, 08:56 AM
Post #46

QUOTE(Jmkorfha @ May 19 2015, 04:04 PM) *

Back in 1982 i just got done with a complete rebuild on my 73 1.7 litre. Everything was new, reground crank, new cam, all new bearings, the works. As I was finishing up, I installed the new oil filter and thought it felt "wierd" as I tightened it. Drove it for a couple days when I noticed the oil light was brighter. I parked at the drugstore and looked under the engine. No filter. After installing a new filter and oil, everything worked fine. Good power, good oil pressure. The only thing that bothered me was that faint noc noc noc sound they all make when running. Turns out I had driven for about 2 miles without the filter.
It bothered me so much that the next year I ordered new crank, rod, and cam bearings and tore it down.
All the bearings looked perfect. There was no damage whatsoever. I replaced them anyway and re-installed the engine. It sounded and ran the same.
I know my story is not the same as yours, but if I was in your shoes, I would drive it and wait to see if something turns up. Sometimes what we imagine could happen is worse than what really does.

Yes thats exactly what I am going to do, drive it and see. I am sure (nearly) that it's going to be fine
+Quote Post
r_towle
post May 20 2015, 11:58 AM
Post #47

Custom Member

good luck, glad you found it.

And thank you for sharing.

rich
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st May 2024 - 07:01 PM