Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Troubleshooting help needed- /6 engine rebuild won't turn, DAMMIT!!!!! Found the problem
tornik550
post May 2 2015, 07:54 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,486
Region Association: None

Argh- I rebuilt a 2.7l this winter. Everything went very well with no obvious problems. I installed my engine, hooked up all the hoses, filled with oil and hooked up the starter. I had problems with the starter wiring however I finally got them resolved. I was getting 12.6v at the starter. I cranked the starter and the engine turned a couple of times then stopped. When I would crank the starter again, it would just sound like a starter with too low of voltage- the solenoid would shoot out but the starter wouldn't turn. I checked voltage and it was 12.5v. If I look at the fan blade when I crank the starter, I do not see it move even slightly.

What are my options of what could be wrong? I see it as a starter problem or the engine is somehow seized. I do not have the axels hooked up so I cannot see if the engine turns by pushing the car in gear. I have a small window cut in the firewall so I wiggled a 19mm box wrench onto the timing pulley nut. I tried to see if I could turn the engine even slightly and I could not. I couldn't put much force into it however I would have thought it would have moved to some extent.

I think I will remove the starter and see if it cranks off of the car. If it functions properly, how can I check to see if the engine is seized without installing the axles. Is there anything common that could cause this issue? I would really prefer not to remove the engine. I am getting somewhat sick of working on it.

Any ideas?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(40 - 45)
toolguy
post May 7 2015, 11:11 PM
Post #41

Member No.: 12,889
Region Association: Southern California

Check out the intake closer when you pull the valves . . . thinking if it had to fall through from the intake port who knows if it got trapped there and got tapped. .
+Quote Post
gereed75
post May 8 2015, 05:37 AM
Post #42

Member No.: 15,674
Region Association: North East States

Tornik, Sorry to see that.

I would highly recommend Craig Garrett (Cgarr on the bird board www.G2Performanceshop.com ). He is in MI, does excellent work for reasonable $$ in a short time and is very accessible. Check with him to ensure he can make this repair, and if he can, he is the man.
+Quote Post
SLITS
post May 8 2015, 08:59 AM
Post #43

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696
Region Association: None

Since the cylinder to head sealing surface is compromised, you need to have him do all 3 heads on the bank so that they are at the same height IF they cut the sealing surface on the one head you are having repaired.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post May 8 2015, 10:42 AM
Post #44

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Ya, busting a nut can cost you in so many ways....

I feel for you. The reason I needed a replacement cylinder which lead to the wrong size and busted piston was because when I tightened the head down the head gasket unseated and warped the seating groove. Small thing, big headache, stupid mistake I have not repeated since. This weekend is shitty, but I might be able to help once I get caught up on my transmission backlog.
+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post May 8 2015, 12:38 PM
Post #45

Major Member

Member No.: 2,660
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(gereed75 @ May 8 2015, 03:37 AM) *

Tornik, Sorry to see that.

I would highly recommend Craig Garrett (Cgarr on the bird board www.G2Performanceshop.com ). He is in MI, does excellent work for reasonable $$ in a short time and is very accessible. Check with him to ensure he can make this repair, and if he can, he is the man.

That link goes nowhere. Typo?
+Quote Post
gereed75
post May 8 2015, 04:38 PM
Post #46

Member No.: 15,674
Region Association: North East States

Copied and paste from bird board. Look for him over there. cgarr
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd May 2024 - 09:43 PM