Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> VW shop tour, Walla Walla
r3dplanet
post May 5 2015, 12:42 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,741
Region Association: None

I spent the weekend in Walla Walla, Washington.

It was strange to find myself in a magic land where water didn't continuously fall from the sky, and a large star radiated heat across the landscape from outer space. At first I was afraid, but then I ate a relaxing burrito and set my fear aside.

All I wanted to do was to take a long drive through the Columbia Gorge (which many of you WCR 2014 attendees may remember) and deliver my engine case to a VW shop for an align bore. It's a famous shop owned by Rocky Jennings named, correctly, Rocky Jennings Enterprises. I thought to just leave my parts and drive back to Portland but he insisted on giving me what he called the nickel tour. The nickel tour was actually the one hundred dollar tour. He spent almost two hours taking me though his shop, showing me all of his gear, machines, parts he manufactures and sells, race engines, race car, before / after specialty work, and to my delight, the amazing tooling he built himself for doing all manner of jobs, including Type-4 align bores. Amazing, astounding stuff. It was a huge amount of time to donate to some stranger in a busy production shop where time is money. He's in his sixties and told me that when he retires he looks forward to stop working on cars and "just" do machine work.

Rocky himself was quite a character and I enjoyed every minute of the tour. His skill sets and accomplishments are amazing. Years ago when I owned a shop of a different sort, I kept everything in open view - the technicians, the workshop, everything. The idea was to show customers that we had nothing to hide and that they were welcome to spend time with the technicians so we could show them the work in progress. From that perspective I very much appreciated his openness.

I know this isn't a technical post, but I just wanted to mention a pleasurable and educational experience with a true air cooled wizard.

-marcus
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
arkitect
post May 5 2015, 06:25 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 11,426

Thanks for the write up on his shop, wish it was closer for me to see firsthand.

Dave
+Quote Post
jsaum
post May 5 2015, 06:56 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 7,809

Cool now I have a good excuse to go to Walla Walla!
+Quote Post
steuspeed
post May 5 2015, 07:30 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 13,308
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Cool stuff. Hope he has some people learning his craft.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th May 2024 - 03:48 AM