Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914 2.0L Missing
hmssaab
post May 7 2015, 06:33 PM
Post #1

hmssaab

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,460
Region Association: None

Chasing down a miss I get when the car is warmed up and under load. Car starts, idles and runs fine when cold. Idles fine when warm. All at once, after driving 1/2 hour, it starts to miss strongly every 10-20 seconds. No backfiring. If I drive with the revs below 2000 it misses gently. I have a Petronix.
I am first checking for loose connections. I changed the cap and rotor. I swapped in a new Bosch Blue Coil. Just how loose should the insulators be on the plugs? Three of the four insulators sway 5 to 10 degrees on the plug but the insulator on #4 sways 30 degrees (I still feel the spark plug threads when putting the insulator on the plug).
Is there supposed to be a vacuum advance / vacuum line on the distributor? I see none.

Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post May 7 2015, 06:37 PM
Post #2

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I read the title to this thread and thought I'd be reading a sad story about how you parked the car in the WalMart lot and couldn't find it when you came back out. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Can't really help with your problem except to say...check your grounds. Good luck.
+Quote Post
Mblizzard
post May 7 2015, 07:02 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,438
Region Association: South East States

Carbs or FI?
+Quote Post
hmssaab
post May 7 2015, 07:17 PM
Post #4

hmssaab

QUOTE(Mblizzard @ May 7 2015, 09:02 PM) *

Carbs or FI?

It has carbs. I am new to the car and to 914's so bear with me. I would love to throw points and a condenser onto the distributor but I believe I need a vacuum advance and a vacuum line to one of the carbs?
+Quote Post
earossi
post May 7 2015, 07:31 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 13,878
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I think that you are on the right track. You mentioned just about every ignition component except the plug wires and plugs. The spark plug connectors should snap firmly in place. Im not that concerned whether they flop around or not, but there should be some force required to push the connectors on the plugs or to remove them. Also, since your issue is related to a hot engine, the insulation on the wires may be breaking down and may open up cracking with heat.

So, since you are new to the car, spend the money to replace the wire set to eliminate that as an item causing your issue.

Also, when were the spark plugs last changed out? The little engine is really inexpensive to rune up. So, good time to renew.

INcidentally, the miss sounds like ignition, not fuel related.
+Quote Post
stugray
post May 7 2015, 07:55 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,819

Is your voltage drooping?

Sounds like your pertronix is cutting out.
Maybe your alt is not charging.
Does it get worse if you turn on the headlights?
+Quote Post
somd914
post May 7 2015, 08:27 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 12,741
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Not having a vacuum advance is not uncommon with carbs - depends on the dizzy you are running. You can always throw points and condenser back on it, but I'd suspect wires first.

When it's missing, does it get to the point of being regular and increasing with RPM, i.e. does it appear to be one plug is cutting out? If so, disconnect one plug wire at a time and see if anything changes. Also move the wires around when missing to try to determine if they are arcing.
+Quote Post
hmssaab
post May 7 2015, 08:45 PM
Post #8

hmssaab

QUOTE(somd914 @ May 7 2015, 10:27 PM) *

Not having a vacuum advance is not uncommon with carbs - depends on the dizzy you are running. You can always throw points and condenser back on it, but I'd suspect wires first.

When it's missing, does it get to the point of being regular and increasing with RPM, i.e. does it appear to be one plug is cutting out? If so, disconnect one plug wire at a time and see if anything changes. Also move the wires around when missing to try to determine if they are arcing.

It is not regular. Let me try new wires.
+Quote Post
r3dplanet
post May 7 2015, 09:02 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 4,741

I doubt that it's the Pertronix. When they fail they just stop working instead of limping along. Is the timing set correctly? Valves adjusted? Which carbs do you have? Can you post a larger image showing more of the engine bay?
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post May 7 2015, 09:16 PM
Post #10

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Member No.: 7,318

Off Topic: I would not run a Pertronix w/ a Bosch Blue Coil. I read many horror stories about how they are really not compatible with each other & can be prone to failure when combined. I believe the instructions for the Pertronix even specify what output the coil should have & the Bosch Blue does not match that. When I installed my Pertronix II I also purchased the matching coil that goes with it to insure compatibility & have had no issues.
+Quote Post
somd914
post May 8 2015, 03:48 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 12,741

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ May 7 2015, 11:16 PM) *

Off Topic: I would not run a Pertronix w/ a Bosch Blue Coil. I read many horror stories about how they are really not compatible with each other & can be prone to failure when combined. I believe the instructions for the Pertronix even specify what output the coil should have & the Bosch Blue does not match that. When I installed my Pertronix II I also purchased the matching coil that goes with it to insure compatibility & have had no issues.

Hmmm, mine was installed by the PO and has ran several years sans problems with Pertronix and Blue coil. I've never dug into the documentation, but if this is the case, thanks for the heads up.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post May 8 2015, 10:08 AM
Post #12

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

Check your valve clearances, and try a compression test. I hope I'm wrong, but my car exhibited similar symptoms the last time it dropped a valve seat.

--DD
+Quote Post
hmssaab
post May 8 2015, 01:13 PM
Post #13

hmssaab

Another item I forgot to mention, the tach dips and bounces quite a bit at the same time as the miss. The miss always starts the same time after I start from cold (I drive the same test loop) at about 190 on the console oil temp gage. I will be receiving the plugs (WR7CC) the wires, the points and the condenser shortly. I noticed I have WR7DC plugs (longer electrodes) that are not recommended, however that figures into the equation (I will swap out plugs first by themselves out of curiosity).
+Quote Post
stugray
post May 8 2015, 01:27 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,819

QUOTE(hmssaab @ May 8 2015, 01:13 PM) *

Another item I forgot to mention, the tach dips and bounces quite a bit at the same time as the miss. The miss always starts the same time after I start from cold (I drive the same test loop) at about 190 on the console oil temp gage. I will be receiving the plugs (WR7CC) the wires, the points and the condenser shortly. I noticed I have WR7DC plugs (longer electrodes) that are not recommended, however that figures into the equation (I will swap out plugs first by themselves out of curiosity).

My next question (if you verified that you have good voltage) was "Is the Dist getting very hot?"

In addition to low voltage, high temps could make a questionable pertronix start acting up.
You DEFINITELY have an electrical issue (Pertronix dropping out).
+Quote Post
Porschef
post May 8 2015, 02:32 PM
Post #15

How you doin'

Member No.: 12,152
Region Association: North East States

No problems with Pertronix and the blue coil in almost 4 years.
+Quote Post
hmssaab
post May 8 2015, 03:22 PM
Post #16

hmssaab

QUOTE(stugray @ May 8 2015, 03:27 PM) *

QUOTE(hmssaab @ May 8 2015, 01:13 PM) *

My next question (if you verified that you have good voltage) was "Is the Dist getting very hot?"

In addition to low voltage, high temps could make a questionable pertronix start acting up.
You DEFINITELY have an electrical issue (Pertronix dropping out).

Yes, the distributor cap is very hot.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post May 8 2015, 05:27 PM
Post #17

914 Idiot

QUOTE(hmssaab @ May 8 2015, 12:13 PM) *

Another item I forgot to mention, the tach dips and bounces quite a bit at the same time as the miss....

Definitely an ignition problem then.

Unplug the black/purple tach signal wire from the coil and see if that fixes the misfire. If so, then your tach is shorting internally and needs to be rebuilt.

--DD
+Quote Post
OU8AVW
post May 8 2015, 08:28 PM
Post #18

Yacht Rigger

Member No.: 9,601
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 8 2015, 03:27 PM) *

QUOTE(hmssaab @ May 8 2015, 12:13 PM) *

Another item I forgot to mention, the tach dips and bounces quite a bit at the same time as the miss....

Definitely an ignition problem then.

Unplug the black/purple tach signal wire from the coil and see if that fixes the misfire. If so, then your tach is shorting internally and needs to be rebuilt.

--DD

Wow, that's outa left field. Never would I think to check the tach like that.
+Quote Post
hmssaab
post May 11 2015, 09:05 AM
Post #19

hmssaab

Not the tach shorting. Waiting for the condenser and points to arrive and will update.

+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post May 11 2015, 05:35 PM
Post #20

914 Idiot

Rats. At least it was an easy test!

Double-check everything that connects to the coil's (-) terminal. Make sure none of it can short to ground.

--DD
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 03:23 PM