Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Planning a Trip, Pacific North West
StratPlayer
post Jun 5 2003, 03:51 PM
Post #1

StratPlayer

Group: Members
Member No.: 27
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I'm starting to plan a trip to the pacific NW. Plan on leaving the 1st or 2nd of Aug. Of course going to take the 914 on the journey, heading up to vancouver then to vacouver island, do a bit of visiting with friends, then taking 101 back to San Fran. Leaving point is Salt Lake City. This will actually be my first long venture in my teener anything I should know or need to bring with me on the venture. Car seems to me that it is ready for this trip, will have it tuned an ready to rock when the times comes. Just looking for any unexpected surprises that I might be able to deal with by having some extra stuff aboard. All you help will be appreciated.

Thanks All In Advance ö¿ö
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jun 5 2003, 03:56 PM
Post #2

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

AAA Membership, get the advanced one, i forget what it is called, otherwise you have to pay for towing if it is over 5 miles or so ...

Andy
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Jun 5 2003, 04:15 PM
Post #3

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Going to Vancouver, Eh? To cross the border and back bring a Passport if you have one, a really good idea. Voter ID card and a drivers license will sometimes work. Coming back the wait at Blaine, WA can get loong. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
I have stopped going up there for quick trips just too much of a pain.
Victoria is a must see and go to the main harbor downtown, lots to do so park and walk.
Vancouver BC is huge but I like to go to the Chinatown as its almost as big as the SanFran one. Also, go eat Indian (India) food as the are tons of good spots with stuff you cant seem to get anywhere else.
Swing thru Seattle as it is a really pretty city plus lots of teeners to meet if you want.
From Seattle I would drive down to Portland and then over to 101 as along the WA coast there ain't much and its not accessible like it is along Oregon and Calif. The drive down Oregon and Calif is incredible so drive slow and stop here and there so you can enjoy it. Depot Bay, Newport, nice small towns to cruise thru or stop overnight.
You will enjoy driving thru the Redwood Forest and stop at the Trees of Mystery, Kevin loves that place, haha

What to bring? hmm, a cell or sat phone. I'll give you Brads cell number so he can come trailer you to the shop.
Geoff (IMG:style_emoticons/default/MDB2.gif)
+Quote Post
StratPlayer
post Jun 5 2003, 06:40 PM
Post #4

StratPlayer

Bleyseng thanks very much for the tips, hmmm, my passport has expired, but have everything else, I will be chatting with a guy who I fly with online tonight who lives in Vancouver I'll get some info from him on how tuff it is to cross the border.

I have AAA, planning my route on a GPS so I will take your advice an cruise thru seattle and portland then jump on 101 in Org. I'm going to have new Terry Cables installed on the car soon, clutch and accel. car is running very good, just hoping there will no need for AAA or Brads cell number to come an bail me out of any 914 woes (fingers crossed).

This will be fun (IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif)
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jun 6 2003, 05:55 AM
Post #5

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

for a real nice drive come up through yakima and pick up hwy 12. it brings you to western wa and when you crest the cascades mt rainier is spectacular, great road with 2 passes, cayuse and chinook. going to bc use the sumas crossing, both ways, you get to avoid the backup @ blaine on I-5. on the way south go check out mt saint helens and the johnson center, another good drive. stop by parts obsolete in mcminville oregon. beter have some xtra cash as it is my understanding there are tons of hard to find items. get your valves adjusted in navato?

instead of going to van then victoria, go to victoria first. catch the black ball ferry in port angeles to victoria. also, there is a big porsche event at whistler (about an hour from van) the weekend of aug 22-24. the road from north van is another fun one. a rock face on the right and a couple hundred foot drop to the water on the left.

kevin
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Jun 6 2003, 07:33 AM
Post #6

Aircooled Baby!

Kevin, don't you mean Port Townsend to take the ferry to Victoria? I have to agree that Highway 410 over Mt Rainier is a incredible drive. I took some friends that way from Suriname and they were completely blown away. They were worried that is might explode but couldn't believe how beautiful the mountain is.

Parts Obsolete is in central Oregon aways from the coast but well worth while visiting. I picked up a few NOS pieces that Gary has had for years. Kevin, you might want to order one of those rear bumper overriders for your car, kewl look!
Geoff (IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif)
+Quote Post
Bruce Allert
post Jun 6 2003, 07:41 AM
Post #7

Hellions asleep

Member No.: 441

AAA PLUS is the one Andy was refering. (let's keep our fingers crossed you don't need it)! If you go to Victoria via Port Angeles theres a little old pirate town you get very close to thats right on the Straights of Jaun De Fuca (It's not profanity!) Port Townsend is a wonderful artsy town that Neil Young frequents alot in his triple masted sail boat. 101 from I-5 up to that area is fantastic for the twisties and the teener.
Speak'n of... we should plan a 914 trip up that way sometime.....
Hit 101 at the Washington Orygun border and go thru Astoria then down so you don't miss the end of the Orygun Trail where Lewis & Clark finished. Alot of history there in Seaside. From there it's all downhill (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
I think we should all give our phone numbers out incase you do need help. 503-860-8545.
have fun & good luck....... enjoy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
bruce
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jun 6 2003, 07:47 AM
Post #8

the port townsand run goes to widbey, also another nice drive. p.a. goes to vic. no need for the rears, i'm droping the fronts. the wife is tapping her foot, got to break down the computer. later guys.

the san juans, there's lots to see in wa. make sure you have your out of state visitors pass before you come up. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) and when you go home you must tell everyone one it does nothing but rain in the pac nothwest.

kevin
+Quote Post
StratPlayer
post Jun 6 2003, 09:57 AM
Post #9

StratPlayer

Wow, thanks guys for all the great tips,, I was looking on my mapsource and see the hwy 82 runs through Yakima, I will check out hwy 12. I think I'll will take 82 instead of going into portland via 84. Problem I've only got 2 weeks to try an see all of this beautiful country.

I really appreciate all the tips on places to see and go, espically about the border crossings.

Thanks Guys
+Quote Post
airkewl
post Jun 6 2003, 10:02 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 120

Another ferry alternative is to go to or from Anacortes to Victoria (Sydney actually). I don't know the schedule but this will be the summer so it will be the most runs per day of any time of the year. That ride takes 4 hours or so, and stops at Friday Harbor along the way I think, maybe others. Great cruise through the San Juans. So if you drive up to Vancouver, then cross on the ferry at Tuwassin (sp?) to Sydney, go into Victoria, then back to Sydney, Anacortes, then drive down to Seattle. The Black Ball ferry has the advantage of going directly into/out of Victoria, the picture arriving into the harbor that way is fabulous. If you come Victoria to Port Angeles, by all means stop in Port Townsend, then drive to Winslow on Bainbridge Island, and catch the ferry into downtown Seattle. Arriving later in the afternoon with the sun behind you is a super view of the city.

Another tip on the border, if you are crossing at Blaine, the main crossing which connects Hwy 5 from Seattle with 99 in BC, take the very last exit offered to you which is sign posted Bus and Truck crossing. It literally will take you about 1 mile over, up and back. In my experience that is always less crowded than the main Blaine crossing.
Tony
+Quote Post
Bruce Allert
post Jun 6 2003, 10:04 AM
Post #11

Hellions asleep

Member No.: 441

I gotta add... going thru Yakima at that time of year could prove to be HOT HOT HOT (IMG:style_emoticons/default/devil.gif) but it may be a more direct route for ya to save time.
That's alot of miles in 2 weeks. Yer gonna have fun (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
bruce
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Jun 6 2003, 10:19 AM
Post #12

Aircooled Baby!

I hate that ferry out of Twassan BC as it always seems its a 4 hour wait coming or going! It is a beautiful ride though but sitting in the parking lot for 4 hours sucks. The ferry out of Anacortes takes awhile to go to Victoria but the trip thru the San Juans is worth it. A still undiscovered part of the USA.
Yakima in August is hot! I would time it so you drive that leg in the morning hours! There is no shade and the terrain is desert so it very boring to look at until you hit the mountains.

Geoff
+Quote Post
DNHunt
post Jun 6 2003, 11:39 AM
Post #13

914 Wizard? No way. I got too much to learn.

Member No.: 598

The Anacortes ferry through the San Jauns is special indeed. If you have the time spend some time on the islands. Lopez island which is the first stop is the picture of tranquility, farms, woods not much traffic absolutely beautiful.

San Juan Island (Friday Harbor stop is incredible too. If you can spend a night at Roche Harbor on the other side of the island. Bit of history on San Juan Island are American Camp and English Camp. A battle was fought here in the Pig War (no kiddin). English soldier shot an American pig if I remember right. The settlement fixed the border betweem the US and Canada. The island is almost over run with rabbits, eagles all over too.

Orcas Island has great roads. Would be a ball in a teener and Rosario Resort would be cool to stay at.

Definitely a special part of God's Creation.

Dave
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jun 7 2003, 05:53 AM
Post #14

we all for got to add what to carry. sockets, openend wrenches, sun screen, and a hat.

kevin
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Jun 7 2003, 07:47 AM
Post #15

Aircooled Baby!

Fuses, fan belt, accel cable, credit cards, new wiper blades.
Geoff
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Jun 7 2003, 08:16 AM
Post #16

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

If you don't have a passport, a birth certificate and photo ID (Drivers licence) will do at the borders. They will want to see your ID when you cross both ways. If you are carrying any firearms, declare them at the border and you can lock them up there to pick up on the way out of Canada.
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Jun 7 2003, 09:36 AM
Post #17

Aircooled Baby!

That was it, Bruce. A birth certificate! I couldn't remember what else would work. Depends alot on your attitude when you cross, so be a nice boy. They can read a person like a book and coming back the US guys love to take your car apart atleast at Blaine.

Geoff
+Quote Post
StratPlayer
post Jun 7 2003, 11:44 AM
Post #18

StratPlayer

OK guys a brief update on this trip:

Looks like were going to take the Ferry out of Anacortes, spend the night on San Juan island at Rouche Harbor (thanks to Dave for the url) then the next day ferry over to sydney. Thanks all of you for some great advice and things to see and do, my wife was impressed that all this info came from the BBS.

Hoping someday I can return the favor.

Thanks All Very Much (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Elliot_Cannon
post Jun 7 2003, 12:31 PM
Post #19

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 480
Region Association: None

If you need help in Vancouver with a place to stay, try 1 800 HELLOBC. I think thats the correct number, maybe someone can verify that. We showed up with no res. and they were having a CART race in town! They found us a room in a great Bed and Breakfast called Amber House. I think they are in the book. Vancouver is now one of my favorite towns. Have a safe and wonderful trip.
Cheers, Elliot (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jun 8 2003, 06:05 AM
Post #20

strat, one word of caution re the san juan ferries. weekends. the line up at annacortes can be at least one boat. getting off island can be a nightmare. be prepared to wait a better part of the day on certain islands. if pos, do your travel on say mon or tues, best on tues. if you do not make the last boat going the right dirrection you are stuck for another night. when you depart whatever island you are on, line up for the first ferry that am. stay in your car 15 minutes before departure, everyone will drive around your car, and you will be waiting for the next boat. btdt.

kevin
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 05:12 AM