Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> O.T. - Careful what you promise..., I'll never be able to keep mine...
SpecialK
post Feb 20 2005, 04:03 AM
Post #1

aircraft surgeon

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,797

In '99, my best friend for the last 17 years Terry Thomure, dropped everything to help me pick up a '73 914 from a guy in Lexington, KY. Since he had "truck driving" experience, he volunteered, actually insisted on driving the Uhaul full of parts, with the car on a trailer behind. I promised him when we got it back in town that as soon as I got it licensed, he'd be the very first person to take a ride in it. We spent many a night in the "Mens Room" (a.k.a. garage) messin' with it, drinkin' beer, and BS'n (mostly drinking beer and BS'n). Terry really got a kick out of giving me shit about how long it was taking to get it done. There seriously wasn't a weekend gone by that we weren't doing something with them....camping, BBQ's, fish-fry's, or just hanging out playing cards (you'll notice all of the above mentioned can be done with a beer in your hand (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif) ) We literally did everything together....even went out to diner together on each other's wedding anniversary's (25 yrs. for Terry and Mary, 22 yrs for me and mine). Our daughter's were in dance together since they were 3 yrs. old, which is how we originally met....they're both 21 yrs. old now.

Last year about this time we (My wife and I, Terry and Mary, and my brother-in-law and his wife) decided we needed a vacation, badly, and Puerto Vallarta was going to be the place. We had a count down calendar and everything! We all agreed that Feb. 12 to Feb. 19 would make a great Valentines present for everyone.

Well, much to my horror, I got woke up by my sister-in-law last Weds. morning (Feb. 9) telling me that Terry was in a terrible accident, but that's all she knew..........I hauled ass to the hospital to find my brother-in-law, my wife and his (my wife and Mary work together) bawling. Appearantly, Terry wasn't feeling all that well that morning (so his co-workers told me), and left his job to go to a nearby hospital. He didn't make it, and died of a heartattack in his car 1/2 mile away.

The wake and funeral were just like a bad dream that I couldn't wake up from....and I don't think I've slept in a week. I've never had anyone that I was this close to pass away before, and it's hit me like a ton of bricks. I can't even walk out into the garage and look at the '73 without my throat tightening and tears rolling up.

Sorry for posting this tragic story, but I thought if maybe if I wrote it down I'd get it through my thick skull that he's really gone.

Strange Ironies that day:

The hospital he was at was St. Mary's, which I've never even heard of until that day......his wife's name is Mary.

I had to pick up his car from the towing company that hauled it from the accident............."Terry's Towing" (too weird!)

The "accident" was actually witnessed by our travel agent (right outside her business)........she's the one that called it in, but didn't know who Terry was since my brother-in-law took care of booking the vacation.

G-n-R's "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" was the first song on the car radio when I left the emergency room....I'll never be able to hear that song again.

R.I.P.
Terry Thomure
USMC Vietnam Veteran
12/17/51 - 2/9/05

I'll miss you forever buddy!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dlo914
post Feb 20 2005, 05:28 AM
Post #2

Whatchu' lookin' at?!?!

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,697

same time around this year i lost my great grandmother of 100 years old....i feel your pain...
+Quote Post
boxerboy
post Feb 20 2005, 06:45 AM
Post #3

boxerboy

Member No.: 2,194

It's a sad story, but writing about it is the right thing to do. Sort of helps deal with the reality of it. Now you need to finish the car. When you take that first ride, I'll bet he will be right there with you, fulfilling that promise anyway.
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Feb 20 2005, 06:47 AM
Post #4

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Sorry you lost your friend. Remember all the good things you did together!
Life is short so enjoy it while you can, friendships can last a lifetime and make life worth living.

Geoff
+Quote Post
ablose58
post Feb 20 2005, 06:58 AM
Post #5

rust never sleeps

Member No.: 1,422

Sorry to hear about your loss my friend! my thoughts and prayers are there (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/pray.gif) AL
+Quote Post
MecGen
post Feb 20 2005, 08:00 AM
Post #6

8 Easy Steps

Member No.: 3,421

Hello
This summer I almost lost my oldest friend to an accident,
my heartfilled prayers.
Joe
+Quote Post
ein 6er
post Feb 20 2005, 08:24 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 300
Region Association: None

very sorry to hear of your loss. remember the good times!!
+Quote Post
gregrobbins
post Feb 20 2005, 08:55 AM
Post #8

Member: Team NARP

Member No.: 1,844
Region Association: Southwest Region

Sorry for the loss.

You were lucky to have such a good friend! I am sure he felt the same way about you. You and your wife stay friends with his wife. Her loss is great and she will need the love and support of someone who understands.
+Quote Post
xsboost90
post Feb 20 2005, 09:16 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 2,432

sorry to hear about your loss, i lost an uncle suddenly a month ago, he was only 40 yrs old. Take inspiration on your friends time he spent w/ you, and dedicate your first drive to him.
+Quote Post
Bruce Allert
post Feb 20 2005, 09:27 AM
Post #10

Hellions asleep

Member No.: 441
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Sorry Kevin. I too, know the feeling.

My wife & best friend of 24 years.

Just like Geoff said,
Remember all the good things you did together!
Life is short so enjoy it while you can, friendships can last a lifetime and make life worth living.

(wiping tears)

...........b
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Feb 20 2005, 09:39 AM
Post #11

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Very touching. Thanks for sharing with us. Sorry for your loss. Sounds like you have a mission. First hug your children and kiss your wife. Go to the local Trophy shop and have a dash plaque made in memory of your best friend. Gather up your memories and bring them out to the garage. Have a beer in honor of the life and times of Terry. Affix the plaque in a place in the teener where all can see, You'll have him with every time you cruise.

Your life has shaped the way it has as a result of the experiences you've had along the way. You are who you are as a result of your friendship and relationships that formed along the way. You can't change that. Terry is part of who you are. He'll always be with you. He is inside your head. You'll see what I mean..... in time.
+Quote Post
SGB
post Feb 20 2005, 09:53 AM
Post #12

just visiting

Member No.: 404
Region Association: South East States

I cannot add to the wise condolences provided here. Celebrate Terry with everyone who knew him.
+Quote Post
seanery
post Feb 20 2005, 10:05 AM
Post #13

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

Kevin,
finish the car and take his wife or one of his kids as the first person to take a ride.
You'll cry they'll cry, but it will be worth it. I'm sorry to hear about your loss.
You'll make it through, but it won't be the same...but life does go on...don't get stuck in a rut.
+Quote Post
Rhodes71/914
post Feb 20 2005, 10:06 AM
Post #14

Glacier

Member No.: 2,482

Sorry to here about your loss Kevin, finish that car in memory to Terry.
+Quote Post
SpecialK
post Feb 20 2005, 05:40 PM
Post #15

aircraft surgeon

Member No.: 1,797

Thanks to everyone for the condolences and considerate thoughts, I know you guys would of liked him, everyone that ever met him did.

And Rick, that placard idea is great, that's exactly what I'm gonna do!

I think writing it down has helped somehow, but sorry again to bring gloom to everyone's (including mine) "happy place".

Thanks again guys! So much wisedom and support here! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
redshift
post Feb 20 2005, 06:44 PM
Post #16

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

It's all part of it, thanks for sharing.

Be safe, always.

Miles
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Feb 20 2005, 06:46 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,755

Kevin, that's a heartfelt story and thanks for sharing your emotions here. My prayers to your buddy and his family too. I lost my Dad on Jan. 21 this year, his health had been on a roller coaster - and his leaving us was expected. I've kept one of his favorite photos on top of my PC screen for a few years now, and every time I click on the 914club He's right on top of the screen-- kind of enjoying the ride as we all do.
Having someone that you love all of a sudden gone is tragic. Only the time that passes heals us, and lets us live in the good memories of these people that touched our lives. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wub.gif)
My Dad's favorite picture is him standing next to his DKW cabriolet, in Liepzig Germany , 1948 , just before coming to the U.S. Funny, this is where Porsche now makes the CGT and Cayenne. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)
Marty
+Quote Post
jimtab
post Feb 20 2005, 08:06 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 91
Region Association: Northern California

My condolences, the longer you live the more this happens....remember it's how we live, not how we die....find a way to remember him as he lived....
+Quote Post
ws91420
post Feb 20 2005, 08:25 PM
Post #19

Yes I have one a Lensley 914

From: Ruther Glen,VA (halfway between sticks and civilization)
Member No.: 1,137
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

My father passed away over 10 years ago. The day before he passed away he sat in his garage while I changed the oil in my car. He had open heart surgery three weeks before and was having a good day. The next morning he passed away. My father was a mechanic and I feel him with me while I work on my cars. I guess that is the reason my 914 is so special to me. Take the time to remember and grieve. Any person that you have a special relationship with will always live on in the memories of the people that his life touched. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/icon12.gif)
+Quote Post
Allan
post Feb 20 2005, 08:44 PM
Post #20

Teenerless Weenie

Member No.: 2,304
Region Association: Southern California

I am really sorry to hear that. Keep the memories alive. You have my thoughts and support.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th May 2024 - 10:59 AM