Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> new car, first post
indydad
post May 15 2015, 09:37 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 578

arsprod,
I've been lurking here for MANY years. I am REPAIRING a 1972 1.7 and have used a lot of good information from the posters hers. There are some EXPERTS and some very experienced teeners here. My only advice is to Listen to them, you won't be sorry.
I'm in INDY too, so PM me and we can talk about my experience. Remember, mine is a repair, not a restoration. I am not one of the experts.

Indydad
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post May 15 2015, 09:59 AM
Post #22

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Beer will usually buy you lots of help. I'm not offing my welcome until I see a photo of the car to prove your actually joining the brotherhood
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post May 15 2015, 03:08 PM
Post #23

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(PanelBilly @ May 15 2015, 08:59 AM) *
... a photo of the car to prove your actually joining the brotherhood

How about a photo of his jack stands?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

--DD
+Quote Post
arsprod
post May 15 2015, 07:24 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 18,519
Region Association: Upper MidWest

OK gents, she's finally here and so are the pics. I won't show the pictures with 10+ years of dust though all I did was a quick wash and vacuum.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1240.photobucket.com-18519-1431739481.1.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1240.photobucket.com-18519-1431739481.2.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1240.photobucket.com-18519-1431739482.3.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1240.photobucket.com-18519-1431739482.4.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1240.photobucket.com-18519-1431739482.5.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1240.photobucket.com-18519-1431739482.6.jpg)

Second top, looks like lexan or some other kind of plastic, (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1240.photobucket.com-18519-1431739482.7.jpg)

Battery box looks like it's been worked on
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1240.photobucket.com-18519-1431739482.8.jpg)

Weber conversion
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1240.photobucket.com-18519-1431739483.9.jpg)

This is the original invoice, pretty expensive for 41 years ago!
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1240.photobucket.com-18519-1431739483.10.jpg)

I took it out (I know, impatient) and it runs pretty darn good! The only thing I can tell that doesn't work is the temp gauge (or it runs really cold). The tires are in great shape - really surprised. Tomorrow, fluids change
+Quote Post
zambezi
post May 15 2015, 07:27 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 8,920
Region Association: South East States

Zambezi green, great color. Looks nice. That is a "saratoga" top and very much sought after. Good score on the car. You will find it drives much better with a different carb setup. Either dual carbs or back to fuel injection.
+Quote Post
Shadowfax
post May 15 2015, 07:32 PM
Post #26

Show us the meaning of haste

Member No.: 18,340
Region Association: South East States

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
Nice! Interior looks good. Good score!
+Quote Post
arsprod
post May 15 2015, 07:53 PM
Post #27

QUOTE(zambezi @ May 15 2015, 09:27 PM) *

Zambezi green, great color. Looks nice. That is a "saratoga" top and very much sought after. Good score on the car. You will find it drives much better with a different carb setup. Either dual carbs or back to fuel injection.

I thought original injection was crap (on 74's)?
+Quote Post
somd914
post May 15 2015, 08:10 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 12,741
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

No jackstands!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)

Very nice, congrats.

Also concur that a single carb setup is not good. Caution, dual carbs and a stock cam aren't a good mix either.
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post May 15 2015, 09:51 PM
Post #29

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Very nice and looking like it wants to go driving RIGHT NOW! Love the color combination and the steel wheels, very retro and definitely cool! Anxious to see what you've really got once you're into it but looks like you've got a great start. Nice to know there's more of us out there with a sense of humor for these little gems! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
cggrimes
post May 15 2015, 10:25 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 17,565

Looks good, beautiful interior. I'm about 40min north of indy if you need any parts I might be able to assist. Or just to pick eachothers brains (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) I'm working on an engine for mine at the moment so feel free and welcome!
+Quote Post
euro911
post May 16 2015, 02:55 AM
Post #31

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

Your 'new' car appears to have been pretty well kept. I agree on the progressive carb (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif) … you're leaving HP on the table. Did you get the original FI parts with the car? If not, there are plenty of guys out here that will have parts you'll need to convert back to FI stashed away.

Pretty much all the initial things to check have been covered, but if you experience problems with shifting (be aware, like was said, it isn't a Honda or Toyota), the shift rod bushings may need to be replaced (There are 2 of them - one at the firewall and one at the shift console on the transaxle). They are really cheap too.

Good fortune to you and your new toy - take care of her …

… and … (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
budk
post May 16 2015, 05:27 AM
Post #32

Yes! It's a Bumblebee!

Member No.: 11,970
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(arsprod @ May 15 2015, 09:53 PM) *

QUOTE(zambezi @ May 15 2015, 09:27 PM) *

I thought original injection was crap (on 74's)?

A lot of folks didn't understand the FI so when the had problems the simplest thing was to replace it with a carb(s). A working stock FI is a great setup and preferred by many.

Concerning your original question, dont be in a hurry to start replacing everything. Treat it like any other car.... Change the oil and drain the gas and check everything else and replace as needed. Tires can look good but old tires are not safe. Fuel lines don't need to be replaced but many, including me, replace them just to be safe.

+Quote Post
Jacob
post May 16 2015, 05:44 AM
Post #33

Member No.: 8,705

Nice car! Like the color. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post May 16 2015, 06:39 AM
Post #34

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) Terrific color and decent looking car. I would encourage you to find a stock FI set-up and a mechanic (look here for one) who knows the stock set-up intimately so if/when you make that change it is done correctly and runs perfectly, as it should.

Take your time and assess the entire car: structure, safety, electrical, mechanical and cosmetic. Come up with a plan and tackle one project at a time so as not to end up with permanent jack stands rooted under the car.

And again, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post May 16 2015, 07:15 AM
Post #35

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Way to go! If you've lusted after 914s in the past, you're going to find out why in the future. A well sorted 914 is a blast!

Have you posted the VIN in the forum database? I'm curious about the history of your car because of the bill of sale and your gauges. The bill of sale is dated 12/74 which actually falls in the MY 1975 period, and yet the silver buttons in the center of the gauges indicate it was produced quite early in MY 1974. Apparently it sat around the dealership for quite awhile. Also, with the lack of a center console and steel wheels on a 2.0L, I wonder if the dealer may have scavenged parts from it to go on other cars. I'm sure there's also a story about the Saratoga top in your trunk. There's always a mystery of some sort with these cars.

BTW, the FI in '74 wasn't crap, but many mechanics were. It was a big mystery then, but there is vast experience here who can help you get a reliable system sorted out. I could hear groans from the peanut gallery when they saw the pic of the single carb.

Good luck, have fun, drive it like you stole it... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
arsprod
post May 16 2015, 07:52 AM
Post #36

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ May 16 2015, 09:15 AM) *

Way to go! If you've lusted after 914s in the past, you're going to find out why in the future. A well sorted 914 is a blast!

Have you posted the VIN in the forum database? I'm curious about the history of your car because of the bill of sale and your gauges. The bill of sale is dated 12/74 which actually falls in the MY 1975 period, and yet the silver buttons in the center of the gauges indicate it was produced quite early in MY 1974. Apparently it sat around the dealership for quite awhile. Also, with the lack of a center console and steel wheels on a 2.0L, I wonder if the dealer may have scavenged parts from it to go on other cars. I'm sure there's also a story about the Saratoga top in your trunk. There's always a mystery of some sort with these cars.

BTW, the FI in '74 wasn't crap, but many mechanics were. It was a big mystery then, but there is vast experience here who can help you get a reliable system sorted out. I could hear groans from the peanut gallery when they saw the pic of the single carb.

Good luck, have fun, drive it like you stole it... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

I'll get the vin posted shortly. The story of the top is pretty simple - this was my uncle's third 914, he'd seen them and bought one for this car. Lucky me he kept it and the car! I had to laugh at the "leaving hp on the table" statement but believe you all that the FI is better. I actually have an old motorcycle with mechanical FI and it's great, although I love carburators. I called my uncle yesterday and his counsel was "drive the shit out of it." That's the plan!
+Quote Post
Java2570
post May 16 2015, 08:11 AM
Post #37

Member No.: 13,035

I live slightly north of Indy as well and have a '74 2.0L. Love the green and looks like a nice car to start with! Get rid of the single carb....nothing wrong with carbs but go with a good set of duals, you could always go back to EFI at some point. I still have my D Jet setup installed and although it is sometimes finicky, it's a good system. Lots of folks here have gone with aftermarket setups like Megasquirt, etc. so you have lots of options to consider. Anyway, I know about enough to be dangerous but I still have fun working on my car.....and there are many smart folks here on this forum so it all works out! Jon
+Quote Post
arsprod
post May 16 2015, 08:27 AM
Post #38

QUOTE(Java2570 @ May 16 2015, 10:11 AM) *

I live slightly north of Indy as well and have a '74 2.0L. Love the green and looks like a nice car to start with! Get rid of the single carb....nothing wrong with carbs but go with a good set of duals, you could always go back to EFI at some point. I still have my D Jet setup installed and although it is sometimes finicky, it's a good system. Lots of folks here have gone with aftermarket setups like Megasquirt, etc. so you have lots of options to consider. Anyway, I know about enough to be dangerous but I still have fun working on my car.....and there are many smart folks here on this forum so it all works out! Jon

Geez, what's north of indy that there are so many 914's?! This is great. I wasn't going to mess with the fuel system but have a megasquirt on my miata track car and now you've piqued my interest!
+Quote Post
Java2570
post May 16 2015, 10:31 AM
Post #39

Member No.: 13,035

It would be a great idea to look at replacing all your rubber fuel hoses as well as the center tunnel hard lines that run through the center tunnel to the gas tank. Also, look at rust inside the fuel tank. Tangerine Racing sells nice stainless steel line sets for fuel and so does Rotary'14 (914World member). I replaced all my lines and cleaned out my tank last summer and was horrified with the condition of all the rubber lines. Ethanol fuels are not kind to rubber lines not rated for it's use....make sure to get 30R9 rubber fuel lines.
We are great at spending your money!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
arsprod
post May 16 2015, 04:13 PM
Post #40

QUOTE(Java2570 @ May 16 2015, 12:31 PM) *

It would be a great idea to look at replacing all your rubber fuel hoses as well as the center tunnel hard lines that run through the center tunnel to the gas tank. Also, look at rust inside the fuel tank. Tangerine Racing sells nice stainless steel line sets for fuel and so does Rotary'14 (914World member). I replaced all my lines and cleaned out my tank last summer and was horrified with the condition of all the rubber lines. Ethanol fuels are not kind to rubber lines not rated for it's use....make sure to get 30R9 rubber fuel lines.
We are great at spending your money!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

I'm making a list! Is it a doomsday scenario that the right side jack point wouldn't hold the weight of the car? I was under it quite a while today and don't see much more than surface rust... he says wishfully.

The oil filter was a bitch! I know you purists will scoff but I put a k&n filter on since they have those nifty bolts molded in. I don't want to do that again!
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 01:22 PM