Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> new car, first post
Java2570
post May 21 2015, 09:26 AM
Post #61

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,035
Region Association: Upper MidWest

rnellums is making ashtray cupholders that pull out....
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=224108
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Geezer914
post May 21 2015, 10:53 AM
Post #62

Geezer914

Member No.: 10,179
Region Association: North East States

Welcome to our world. Change the trans fluid also. I would replace the brake lines and flush the system. Check the calipers and pads, make sure none of the calipers are froze up. Change all the fuel lines, especially the plastic lines in the tunnel. Check the fuel tank for rust and crud. Suspension bushings and shocks later on down the road. You want to be sure the car is safe to drive! They are fun to drive, like a go cart for grownups! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
struckn
post May 21 2015, 01:52 PM
Post #63

Member No.: 13,764
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

Glad you found us, you're in a good crowd.
I'm going to suggest that you follow your Uncle's suggestion, "Drive the heck out of it" for now and hold off swapping out Carb and doing other major changes until you get to know the car. Get a Haynes Manual you'll need one.

Couple things to mention, OIL is the Blood of the 914, don't put the usual off the self Oil from the Store in it as the Oil for an Air Cooled Engine needs to be such that it will help keep it cool. Brad Pen, Swepco, ETC, for example, are made with the specific properties these engines should have.

A single Carb......if the car runs and drives, drive it as is, and down the road if you want to drop $$$$$ in it do it later. (You may find that you have only one fuel line from the tank to the Carb. FI Cars have two lines, the second is a return line. FI Cars run 30lbs of fuel pressure where as cars with Carbs only run 3Lbs of fuel pressure). The fuel lines run through a Tunnel between the Seats so if there's a leak it's a major problem. Stainless Steal Fuel Lines are available.

All for now keep us posted on your progress. We've all been there done that.

Doug

+Quote Post
Ian Stott
post May 21 2015, 03:45 PM
Post #64

Member No.: 8,635
Region Association: Canada

Drove to Tangerine Racing on Sunday and back home on Tuesday, 650 miles plus each way. Poured rain on Tuesday AM, wipers on full speed for quite some time, kept speed around 60 MPH. In the afternoon when sun was out and roads were dry picked her up to 70/75 MPH a nice comfortable speed which these cars can do all day long. Takes a bit longer to fill up with gas as people come over and talk to you about your Fiat X 19 or your Fiero, I just let them talk, one guy actually did a good job washing my windshield. Point of this story is to let you know how it can be, all the above info is spot on, I have taken all the advice offered here and appreciate what a great group this is.

A side bar notice!! My good buddy Line Pelletier is in the final 2 of Master Chef Canada, winner to be revealed this weekend. She will be the celebrity chef at a Bistro in Nova Scotia in June and I am organizing a Porsche convoy to go to that dinner! Mmmmmm

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)
+Quote Post
arsprod
post May 21 2015, 04:30 PM
Post #65

Member No.: 18,519

QUOTE(struckn @ May 21 2015, 03:52 PM) *

I'm going to suggest that you follow your Uncle's suggestion, "Drive the heck out of it" for now and hold off swapping out Carb and doing other major changes until you get to know the car. Get a Haynes Manual you'll need one.

Couple things to mention, OIL is the Blood of the 914, don't put the usual off the self Oil from the Store in it as the Oil for an Air Cooled Engine needs to be such that it will help keep it cool. Brad Pen, Swepco, ETC, for example, are made with the specific properties these engines should have.

A single Carb......if the car runs and drives, drive it as is, and down the road if you want to drop $$$$$ in it do it later. (You may find that you have only one fuel line from the tank to the Carb. FI Cars have two lines, the second is a return line. FI Cars run 30lbs of fuel pressure where as cars with Carbs only run 3Lbs of fuel pressure). The fuel lines run through a Tunnel between the Seats so if there's a leak it's a major problem. Stainless Steal Fuel Lines are available.

Doug

Thanks and that's my plan. I have a Haynes manual and receipts going back to when he purchased the car. It's amazing how little work was needed over the 41 years.

I thought the oil key was zinc (zddp) like in vr1?
+Quote Post
arsprod
post May 23 2015, 06:34 PM
Post #66

OK gang, finally got the panels off and here are some pics. I don't know what I'm looking for but look pretty good to me

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1240.photobucket.com-18519-1432427665.1.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1240.photobucket.com-18519-1432427665.2.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1240.photobucket.com-18519-1432427665.3.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1240.photobucket.com-18519-1432427665.4.jpg)
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post May 23 2015, 06:38 PM
Post #67

You bought another 914?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 865
Region Association: None

Not to bad. The jack post areas look to have some rust damage, but NOT a major problem.
+Quote Post
Porschef
post May 23 2015, 06:51 PM
Post #68

How you doin'

Member No.: 12,152
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Ian Stott @ May 21 2015, 05:45 PM) *

Drove to Tangerine Racing on Sunday and back home on Tuesday, 650 miles plus each way. Poured rain on Tuesday AM, wipers on full speed for quite some time, kept speed around 60 MPH. In the afternoon when sun was out and roads were dry picked her up to 70/75 MPH a nice comfortable speed which these cars can do all day long. Takes a bit longer to fill up with gas as people come over and talk to you about your Fiat X 19 or your Fiero, I just let them talk, one guy actually did a good job washing my windshield. Point of this story is to let you know how it can be, all the above info is spot on, I have taken all the advice offered here and appreciate what a great group this is.

A side bar notice!! My good buddy Line Pelletier is in the final 2 of Master Chef Canada, winner to be revealed this weekend. She will be the celebrity chef at a Bistro in Nova Scotia in June and I am organizing a Porsche convoy to go to that dinner! Mmmmmm

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)

Ian, when in June does this take place?
+Quote Post
euro911
post May 24 2015, 01:55 AM
Post #69

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1240.photobucket.com-18519-1432427665.2.jpg)

Yep, you got a little bit of work to do on your jack posts (both sides). Hopefully it's just the supports that need replaced (which are available from Restoration Design).

It would be a good idea to inspect the insides of the longs to be sure everything is good in there anyway. A fairly inexpensive Harbor Freight inspection camera would be the ticket for doing that. There are two oval-shaped rubber plugs on each long inside the passenger compartment that the camera can be inserted into. You'll need to lift the carpet on the longs to expose the plugs (one is forward, one is aft). By viewing your pix, I'd say you only need to look rearward through the aft openings - the fronts look pretty sound.
+Quote Post
arsprod
post May 24 2015, 07:05 AM
Post #70

I can tell where guys live from their response to rust! You Cali guys wouldn't get my excitement, dare I say elation, when I saw this. That's not rust - just a little Midwest strong dirt!! Kidding aside short-term I'm going to coat it with ospho and put the jack posts on the 'to order' list.
+Quote Post
Han Solo
post May 24 2015, 07:29 AM
Post #71

Member No.: 16,456
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(arsprod @ May 24 2015, 08:05 AM) *

I can tell where guys live from their response to rust! You Cali guys wouldn't get my excitement, dare I say elation, when I saw this. That's not rust - just a little Midwest strong dirt!! Kidding aside short-term I'm going to coat it with ospho and put the jack posts on the 'to order' list.

Excellent. You'll save yourself a lot of trouble by doing so. It makes me wonder why Porsche didn't have rocker cover removal and cleaning as a maintenance item. Probably because these cars weren't supposed to last 40 years.
+Quote Post
euro911
post May 25 2015, 01:45 AM
Post #72

QUOTE(Han Solo @ May 24 2015, 06:29 AM) *
QUOTE(arsprod @ May 24 2015, 08:05 AM) *
Excellent. You'll save yourself a lot of trouble by doing so. It makes me wonder why Porsche didn't have rocker cover removal and cleaning as a maintenance item. Probably because these cars weren't supposed to last 40 years.

I was going by what you posted previously, Aaron:
... Is it a doomsday scenario that the right side jack point wouldn't hold the weight of the car? I was under it quite a while today and don't see much more than surface rust... he says wishfully.

... and although they don't look too bad for where you're located (you're very fortunate to have very little rust), if they made a crunching noise and didn't feel solid whist attempting to lift the car, they're not going to get better as time goes by. Short term, OK, but don't wait years is all I'm saying.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
arsprod
post May 25 2015, 07:19 AM
Post #73

... and although they don't look too bad for where you're located (you're very fortunate to have very little rust), if they made a crunching noise and didn't feel solid whist attempting to lift the car, they're not going to get better as time goes by. Short term, OK, but don't wait years is all I'm saying.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

No disrespect of sage wisdom intended! You're absolutely right that I need to address it and I will. I'm just thrilled it's not imminent disaster and I can keep driving!!
+Quote Post
euro911
post May 25 2015, 11:08 AM
Post #74

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post May 26 2015, 06:50 AM
Post #75

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(arsprod @ May 15 2015, 09:53 PM) *

QUOTE(zambezi @ May 15 2015, 09:27 PM) *

Zambezi green, great color. Looks nice. That is a "saratoga" top and very much sought after. Good score on the car. You will find it drives much better with a different carb setup. Either dual carbs or back to fuel injection.

I thought original injection was crap (on 74's)?

No, original injection is the way to go, if you want the best MPG and performance. with that said, if the car drives right now, enjoy some seat time while you address other more pressing issue such as your fuel lines, and brakes. Since you will have the car stored in the winter, plan for some other work this winter when you cant drive it.

QUOTE(arsprod @ May 21 2015, 06:30 PM) *

QUOTE(struckn @ May 21 2015, 03:52 PM) *

Doug

Thanks and that's my plan. I have a Haynes manual and receipts going back to when he purchased the car. It's amazing how little work was needed over the 41 years.

I thought the oil key was zinc (zddp) like in vr1?

yes, Valvoline VR1 racing oil 20/50 is what i have been using for some time- it has the proper ZPPD and excellent ratings for wear with this type of engine. others have used other brands such as Bradd Penn or Joe Gibbs racing oil.
BTW i would also do the gear oil. My car had some crappy shifting when i got it and whent to drain and change the gear oil and none came out LOL! it was that low, - be ready for the seals which have then dried out to leak, but all hese things can be worked out over time.
- btw, my car spent over half its life in indiana and ohio, and that is why i also have jack point rust!!
-that rust can be easily fixed and you have a guy not far from you in indiana Brad Mayer(914LTD) who is one of the most experienced in this community .
+Quote Post
arsprod
post May 26 2015, 08:55 PM
Post #76

QUOTE(Philip W. @ May 26 2015, 08:50 AM) *

-that rust can be easily fixed and you have a guy not far from you in indiana Brad Mayer(914LTD) who is one of the most experienced in this community .

Thanks! I think I "met" Mr Meyer through another 914 owner in Indy. He sent me pics of his car getting rust fixed... how weird is that?!
+Quote Post

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 01:52 AM