Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Questions About 912E Cars
rush
post May 21 2015, 12:11 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,731
Region Association: None

I have had a couple, brother in law now has one and sold the other. For 'normal' life driving they are my favorite combination, handling,brakes, style, mpg, and...a back seat. The wife and dog and a $200 costco run all fit; something most sport types won't. Collectable yes as all the air powered Pcars but I think you buy it to drive not appreciate like a '78-'98 911. Still see a couple of sales in the teens each year.
For me the fun is a bit of wrench time but believe the pure driver would have Rabys FI system and be able to give the keys to grandma and trouble free.
The only part that is rare is the trans with vw shaft and a R&P one yr only that gets the T4 to work.
Insurance is nice as you get to see your agent jerk at the word Porsche and then calm as you point out the 80 hp 4 banger for the '76.
This 914world group of T4 motor drivers is making my first engine rebuild a pleasure.
The only other odd part is no right side mirror, but there is after mkt co that makes a nice chrome match if you want orig appearance
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
euro911
post May 21 2015, 12:24 PM
Post #22

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

Lawrence, is the car currently registered in CA (and have a valid smog cert) ?

That's the only way I'd even consider it ...
+Quote Post
forrestkhaag
post May 21 2015, 07:51 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 17,273
Region Association: Southwest Region

I've owned two of these classics and 76 was the only year they were produced - that should tell us all something but my two sunroof versions were very reliable if not hideously underpowered. Weak in the power arena compared to its contemporary 911 is one thing but the 912 E insures like a VW so... in my other life.... as a dead broke working stiff, the 912E got me closer to the 356 and 911's etc to follow. These are good investments if bought right (like everything). If you find one now, buy it.
+Quote Post
Bulldog9
post May 22 2015, 07:24 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 16,283
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I've got #770, and happy to have it. Almost passed on it when I found it due to being the 911 with a VW motor, but a few minutes of web searching I discovered it is likely the best of the mid year N/A 911's, at least best for me. Light weight, better balanced than the 911, galvanized bodies (1st year) Type 4 motor is easy to service, maintain and rebuild, decent fuel mileage.

As others mentioned, is basically a 76 911S with a modified 2.0 914 Motor with different fuel injection and Thermal reactors. I'm in the final stages of a total gut and rebuild, and other than a few things beyond the engine and trans gearing, the car is a low content barebones 76 911s.

The other Main differences I have found are:
- Different ratios in Transmission, with smaller input shaft and strange 914/911 clutch/throwout bearing setup.
- Stock brakes are solid disks front and rear
- No Stock fog lights or wiring
- Skinny tires/Rims
- Different shock/strut inserts
- Smaller front and no rear sway bar
- Fixed rear windows (pop out was an aftermarket add on)
- No passenger side mirror

As far as value, according to Haggerty, the value has tripled in the last 3 years, which helps to keep SWMBO (she who must be obeyed) off my back (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) The 912E will likely never pull the same price as a 76 911, but is increasing in price, and as others have said, the upcoming release of 4cyl Porsches may remind others that there was once a 4cyl 911 called the 912. My guess is that despite its limited number, due to the Type 4, the 912E will always be the low priced option. But I don't buy cars for the 'collectability' I buy what I love and keep it. I've never lost money, but neither can I retire on that 'collectible.'

I will be sending back to Scotty B for the headliner, windscreens and a few other things I don't have the skill to do. You can check out the #770 thread to see my bumbling over the last few years.

I'm in the military so get bounced around every 3-4 years, but have registered the car as an antique in my home of record state, so the car will never see another inspection station. Is this not an option for all states? I know CA is a lost cause, but what about the rest?
+Quote Post
naro914
post May 22 2015, 08:19 AM
Post #25

Losing my mind...

Member No.: 6,073
Region Association: South East States

There's a guy here in Charlotte with 2, both pristine and perfect. He drives them a decent amount...
yes, they are going up in value as all air cooled Porsches are. and there is a very loyal following to these cars....nice unmolested ones will command a good premium.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post May 22 2015, 12:53 PM
Post #26

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

QUOTE(Steve Pratel @ May 22 2015, 09:24 AM) *

I've got #770, and happy to have it. Almost passed on it when I found it due to being the 911 with a VW motor, but a few minutes of web searching I discovered it is likely the best of the mid year N/A 911's, at least best for me. Light weight, better balanced than the 911, galvanized bodies (1st year) Type 4 motor is easy to service, maintain and rebuild, decent fuel mileage.

As others mentioned, is basically a 76 911S with a modified 2.0 914 Motor with different fuel injection and Thermal reactors. I'm in the final stages of a total gut and rebuild, and other than a few things beyond the engine and trans gearing, the car is a low content barebones 76 911s.

The other Main differences I have found are:
- Different ratios in Transmission, with smaller input shaft and strange 914/911 clutch/throwout bearing setup.
- Stock brakes are solid disks front and rear
- No Stock fog lights or wiring
- Skinny tires/Rims
- Different shock/strut inserts
- Smaller front and no rear sway bar
- Fixed rear windows (pop out was an aftermarket add on)
- No passenger side mirror

As far as value, according to Haggerty, the value has tripled in the last 3 years, which helps to keep SWMBO (she who must be obeyed) off my back (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) The 912E will likely never pull the same price as a 76 911, but is increasing in price, and as others have said, the upcoming release of 4cyl Porsches may remind others that there was once a 4cyl 911 called the 912. My guess is that despite its limited number, due to the Type 4, the 912E will always be the low priced option. But I don't buy cars for the 'collectability' I buy what I love and keep it. I've never lost money, but neither can I retire on that 'collectible.'

I will be sending back to Scotty B for the headliner, windscreens and a few other things I don't have the skill to do. You can check out the #770 thread to see my bumbling over the last few years.

I'm in the military so get bounced around every 3-4 years, but have registered the car as an antique in my home of record state, so the car will never see another inspection station. Is this not an option for all states? I know CA is a lost cause, but what about the rest?

PA does a $75 one time fee for reg and no inspection for antique. It makes our cars very economical to own and easy to have more than 1. Non op fee doesn't exist either.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
euro911
post May 22 2015, 12:53 PM
Post #27

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

Steve, I believe active service personnel don't need to register their out-of-state vehicles in CA if they are 'temporarily' stationed here. I bought a trailer from a guy who had been stationed at Ft. MacArthur for a couple of years, but was transferring to Kitsap in Washington. His truck was registered in his home state, Kentucky, the trailer still had title and plates from where he bought it - Texas.

Even regular 912s ('65~'69) were looked down on by the 911 guys back when. With 95HP flat-4 (356) motors, they were lighter, more nimble in the corners and a little more fuel efficient - what's not to like about them (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) - oh yeah, the 911 was a couple grand more (and at the time a couple grand was a lot of money) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
Bulldog9
post May 22 2015, 03:12 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 16,283

QUOTE(euro911 @ May 22 2015, 02:53 PM) *

Steve, I believe active service personnel don't need to register their out-of-state vehicles in CA if they are 'temporarily' stationed here. I bought a trailer from a guy who had been stationed at Ft. MacArthur for a couple of years, but was transferring to Kitsap in Washington. His truck was registered in his home state, Kentucky, the trailer still had title and plates from where he bought it - Texas.

Even regular 912s ('65~'69) were looked down on by the 911 guys back when. With 95HP flat-4 (356) motors, they were lighter, more nimble in the corners and a little more fuel efficient - what's not to like about them (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) - oh yeah, the 911 was a couple grand more (and at the time a couple grand was a lot of money) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Yeah, all my cars are registered in my Military home of record, is a great benefit, though a hassle sometimes for new purchases, adds 2 weeks to the registration process. Problem is when you retire, you have to register in the state you settle. In Tennessee, the Antique plate is a ONE TIME deal, don't need to renew, so no matter where I land, it will be good. I have all my old stuff registered as antiques, makes live much simpler ;-)

I tend to look down on people who look down on people so its all good with me ;-) Heck, my collection with the exception of the M3 is all a bunch of misfits...... I mean come on.... a 1993 Saab N/A with automatic? who wants one of those? lol, but my wife loves it and I love the Classic Saab 900. But they are mine and I love them.

Love what you ride/drive and drive what you love.....
+Quote Post
oldschool
post May 23 2015, 02:29 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 9,705

Attached Image MY 68
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:12 PM