Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Porschevy Engine ?, never thought this was possible
yarin
post Jun 5 2003, 10:38 PM
Post #1

'14-X'in FOOL

Group: Members
Member No.: 693
Region Association: North East States

2.0L case
2.0L heads
Chevy V8 pistons and cylinders (105mm)
2.5L final displacement
8-8.5:1 compression
P&P, 3 angle.

Has anyone ever heard of a Type IV with mixed components like this?

This means the engine wasn't stroked, only bored. I'm assuming with a thicker cylinder wall heat dissipation won't be as bad as an original bore only 2.5l type IV.

Comments? http://www.strictlyvw.com/ built this engine. I know that a LOT of machining must have gone into this.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
LvSteveH
post Jun 6 2003, 09:31 AM
Post #2

I put the Poor in Porsche

Member No.: 600

I wish this topic came up a week ago. I just traded off an engine I've had for a couple years. It was a 2580 type 4, had a stock case, opened up to accommodate larger pistons, 1.8L heads ported and polished with 38mm exhaust and 48mm Intake valves, 76mm stroke on a stock 2.0L crank that was reworked and fully counterweighted, 104 or 105mm TRW forged chevy 350 pistons in Biral (forged aluminum finned) cylinders. It ran with dual weber 44's. I know it was built some time ago, and when I got it, it ran, but needed a rod bearing, so I disassembled it and put everything into boxes awaiting a rebuild. The crank and rod setup were a bit crude. The rods were stock 2.0L that were ground at the base for clearance, all the way up into the rod bolts, and a substantial amount was taken out of the bolt heads for clearance. Didn't look pretty at all.
Of course everyone knows that a big type 4 can cost $6-7K easily, so I thought I hit the jackpot, but the more I saw the stuff from Raby’s Aircooled Technology and other high end builders I doubted the integrity of the engine. It should have produced around 200hp easily. I’m a bit of a perfectionist and that got the better of me, I traded it off for a few boxes of nice 914 stuff like seals, lenses, mirrors, a set of old weber 40’s, and such a few days ago. After doing the math, I probably didn’t come out that great, I’d guess around $1200-1500. In hindsight, I should have kept the case, cylinders, heads, and carbs, got a new crank and rods and properly clearanced the case. Then I would have had a pretty nice engine for around $3000 based on the value of what I traded it off for. Such is life. I don’t know if that helps you much, but at least it does confirm that such things exist. Good luck. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

Steve
+Quote Post
seanery
post Jun 6 2003, 10:30 AM
Post #3

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100
Region Association: None

one question....where did they get the cylinders? Chebby's are built into the block.
+Quote Post
aufaber
post Jun 6 2003, 10:53 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 525

Odd.. chevy 350's have a 4" bore which is 101.6mm.

-Aaron G>
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jun 6 2003, 11:46 AM
Post #5

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

Brad has (or had) two 2.3+ liter /4's...they had aluminum cylinders (Mahle I am pretty sure was cast on them)

So I am guessing that modified 911 /6 cylinders can be used.
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Jun 6 2003, 04:47 PM
Post #6

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

i think bernie bergmann vw mixes chebby components with vw type 4 stuff. i have heard of mixing journals and rods....i dunno how you take the cylinders
+Quote Post
airsix
post Jun 6 2003, 04:54 PM
Post #7

I have bees in my epiglotis

Member No.: 266

QUOTE(acox914 @ Jun 6 2003, 02:47 PM)
....i dunno how you take the cylinders

Corvair?
+Quote Post
LvSteveH
post Jun 6 2003, 05:46 PM
Post #8

I put the Poor in Porsche

Member No.: 600

Of course “Chevy 350” pistons can be purchased in a variety of overbore sizes, such as .020, .030, all the way up to .080 I believe. I just looked up the specs, my pistons said TRW and JE230 on them and measured 104mm. That coupled with the 76mm stroke netted 2580cc’s. I don’t know who made the cylinders, but they were beautiful, very thick steel walls, approaching ¼ inch, and heavy 1/8 forged aluminum fins that were very clean and sharp, like you see on some racing engines. All this talk is making me wish I didn’t trade it off, maybe I could get it back, what would I have to give up? Hmmmm

Steve
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:19 AM